Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

can we talk about aging? us getting older.

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

can we talk about aging? us getting older.

Postby pointysticks » 12 05, 2013 •  [Post 1]

i think i can age gracefully. i am mid forties.

i am cool with my hair abandoning me. i am cool with my body failing me occasionally, and not bouncing back as fast. not being able to eat as much? cool. getting fat easier, getting fit more difficult..no problem. i step up exercises, eat less fat and sugar. check! ache/pains..not a fan, but whatever.

what pisses me off is my eyesight. i cannot see up close like i used to. my iphone is set to be as bright as it can be. i have reading glasses stored everywhere..(i get free safety glasses at work..i order prescription ones). i cannot tie a clinch not on a tiny trout lure without them. they have now made my backpack packing list.

my coworkers still drop off reduced plan sheets on my desk. i mean the font is literally .25mm tall! wtf? i have a magnifying glass on my desk. the exact ones i used to tease my stepdad about. (he refused reading glasses).

i can see my computer monitor no problem. but reading a menu in a dimly lit, romantic dinner restaurant setting? hahhah..i wish i could pull out a headlamp.

gah..rant over. whoever is pulling the strings on this ride we call LIFE. he/she is a total jokester. funny funny..haha.

ok rant really over now.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Re: can we talk about aging? us getting older.

Postby >>>---WW----> » 12 05, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Don't worry about it. You still have a good 30 years of elk hunting left in you. Swede can verify that> LOL!
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Swede » 12 05, 2013 •  [Post 3]

You are young pointysticks. It only gets worse. Soon you will not feel confident to drive at night. You cannot read the instructions or details about the things you want to buy. If you want to get to know the one who made you this way, you will need to get a Bible with very large print. I think my Bible weighs about two pounds and has very little concordance or side reference notes. And, oh by the way, the eyes are often not the only things to go.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby pointysticks » 12 05, 2013 •  [Post 4]

you two stop..i cant stop laughing. hahah

i am actually bible shopping for my mom. large print is a criteria. hahah.
pointysticks

Postby Swede » 12 05, 2013 •  [Post 5]

WW: One of the reasons I prefer to hunt elk is because they are easier to see than those sneaky little deer that are always trying to hide near me. :D
Swede

Postby pointysticks » 12 05, 2013 •  [Post 6]

tools of the trade :(
Attachments
blind.JPG
blind.JPG (103.92 KiB) Viewed 19701 times
pointysticks

Postby Z Barebow » 12 05, 2013 •  [Post 7]

pointy- We are in the same neighborhood age wise (I am 48). I am the butt of family jokes. I set the hymnal down on the pew in front of me so I can see it. My kids will pull stuff away so I can read it. (I cannot read it if they shove it in my face and they know it) I take my glasses off so I can read in low light. I finally relented and bought no line bifocals. Not the "answer" but it helps watching TV.

I grow a beard for hunting season. Every year there is more "salt in the pepper". I am started to doubt my beard provides effective camouflage!

I am "folically challenged". But yet I can grow hair in all of the wrong places. My daughter trimmed my eyebrows, ear hair and nose hair!

I have resisted buying cheaters. But I know life would be better with them.

I saw this at Harbor Freight. My wife laughed. (It is a good thing I have my remote buttons memorized, or I would know what I would be getting for Christmas!

http://www.harborfreight.com/jumbo-univ ... 66687.html
Z Barebow

First Name: Brian
Last Name: Zastoupil

Postby Indian Summer » 12 05, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Ditto on the close up vision though I have a full head of hair.

What pisses me off is when I can find my hearing aids because they are small and I can't... I said...(LOUDER SO YOU CAN HEAR OLD MAN) I CAN'T FIND MY GLASSES TO LOOK FOR THEM!

The eye doc said wow... you're distance prescription is the lowest we have. You barely need glasses for distance but I must say that after testing you really do notice the most subtle lack of detail. I said yeah... try to figure out if a mulie buck 5 miles away is worth pounding your old knees over! She laughed and told me she loves to hike Glacier, Banff, and Jasper and completely understands.

My ear doc said you have 3 channels on these aids. What kid of programs do you want? I said ones so I can hear a bull bugle two miles away. She said we have a wildlife/outdoors program. I asked "Are the leaves going to sound like a football team sneaking up on a foot deep pile of Frosted Flakes?" She said no we can tune it for the proper frequencies to eliminate that. So I went with it. She said try this. I said I want the max volume higher. She said it's pretty loud already. I said bull elk and turkeys don't yell as loud as they can like you are so I can hear you. Crank it up! So she did. Now when I'm out I get to say to my partners "did you hear that bugle?" After years of asking me that and getting the same reply "Hell no!" They look at me and say holy $h1t you're a whole new man and no... I didn't hear it. By then I'm ten steps ahead of them.

They used to keep pebbles in their pockets. I gave them permission to hit me in the back of the head with one if they heard a bugle and I kept walking totally unaware. Every once in awhile they'd miss and I'd see a rock zing past my head. Sometimes they'd pick up rocks the size of baseballs while I was looking and stuff them in a pocket saying "just to make sure".

At heart I can say I'm forever young. Love to stomp the heck out of the mountains, ride my Harleys, and still enjoy live music of all kinds. I think old is a state of mind. But my fingers would say different. Every knuckle hurts. Shoulders aren't what they used to be either. But I don't let any of that stop me.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby pointysticks » 12 05, 2013 •  [Post 9]

Indian Summer wrote:Ditto on the close up vision though I have a full head of hair.

What pisses me off is when I can find my hearing aids because they are small and I can't... I said...(LOUDER SO YOU CAN HEAR OLD MAN) I CAN'T FIND MY GLASSES TO LOOK FOR THEM!

The eye doc said wow... you're distance prescription is the lowest we have. You barely need glasses for distance but I must say that after testing you really do notice the most subtle lack of detail. I said yeah... try to figure out if a mulie buck 5 miles away is worth pounding your old knees over! She laughed and told me she loves to hike Glacier, Banff, and Jasper and completely understands.

My ear doc said you have 3 channels on these aids. What kid of programs do you want? I said ones so I can hear a bull bugle two miles away. She said we have a wildlife/outdoors program. I asked "Are the leaves going to sound like a football team sneaking up on a foot deep pile of Frosted Flakes?" She said no we can tune it for the proper frequencies to eliminate that. So I went with it. She said try this. I said I want the max volume higher. She said it's pretty loud already. I said bull elk and turkeys don't yell as loud as they can like you are so I can hear you. Crank it up! So she did. Now when I'm out I get to say to my partners "did you hear that bugle?" After years of asking me that and getting the same reply "Hell no!" They look at me and say holy $h1t you're a whole new man and no... I didn't hear it. By then I'm ten steps ahead of them.

They used to keep pebbles in their pockets. I gave them permission to hit me in the back of the head with one if they heard a bugle and I kept walking totally unaware. Every once in awhile they'd miss and I'd see a rock zing past my head. Sometimes they'd pick up rocks the size of baseballs while I was looking and stuff them in a pocket saying "just to make sure".

At heart I can say I'm forever young. Love to stomp the heck out of the mountains, ride my Harleys, and still enjoy live music of all kinds. I think old is a state of mind. But my fingers would say different. Every knuckle hurts. Shoulders aren't what they used to be either. But I don't let any of that stop me.

i really like you.
pointysticks

Postby Indian Summer » 12 05, 2013 •  [Post 10]

YOU JUST LIKE ME CAUSE I'M A RIPE OLD 48. MISERY LOVES COMPANY!

Is that better? :lol:
Indian Summer

Postby >>>---WW----> » 12 05, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Joe, your hearing aids must be like mine. One setting for normal conversation, another for cutting background noise, and the third is what I call elk hunting mode. My wife raises heck with me because I only wear them in September. She swears I only bought them for hunting. Guess she is smarter than I thought!!
>>>---WW---->

Postby Swede » 12 05, 2013 •  [Post 12]

WW: I have noticed that over the years my wife figures out a whole lot of things. It gets really difficult to put one over on her. That does not mean I do not try. I means I need to adapt better to getting busted, or fresh excuses. :D
Swede

Postby bnsafe » 12 05, 2013 •  [Post 13]

if it makes yall feel any better ive needed large print since I was a kid. I had a corneal translplant in my 30s. have to wear hard contacts to see due to a eye disease.
I don't mind the eyesight, folks got a lot worse than me. what I mind is the lessening desire for other important activities :o
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby easeup » 12 05, 2013 •  [Post 14]

I cant hear nothing either. so you guys that have them are you really happy with them when you hunt?

why has no one mentioned you cant see through your peep anymore either?
easeup

Postby Willie makit » 12 06, 2013 •  [Post 15]

String splitter for me:)

I also was wondering about the game ear for elk, I use them when deer hunting if the wind Is low as most of the time it allows me to hear them long before seeing them. The biggest drawback is coursing the sound ( I use 2 at the time), they were really great when I used to gun hunt as they kill the harmful muzzle blast.
Willie makit

First Name: Thomas

Postby >>>---WW----> » 12 06, 2013 •  [Post 16]

( postby easeup » 12 05, 2013 • [Post 14]

I cant hear nothing either. so you guys that have them are you really happy with them when you hunt?)

Yes sir! When I put mine on elk hunting mode they are wonderful. But if you have hearing loss, don't mess around with the el-cheapo junk. Get the real thing. You'll be glad you did. And if you can find them, get the ones that have at least three different level settings that can be programed like Indian Summer and I have. You can have the #3 setting really cranked up for elk hunting. I don't have a problem with wind noise either. Mine are made by NuEar. But I'm sure other GOOD companies have them with level settings.
>>>---WW---->

Postby Swede » 12 06, 2013 •  [Post 17]

easeup wrote:why has no one mentioned you cant see through your peep anymore either?

I can see thru my peep just fine. It is the rest of the world that is out of focus. Of coarse I make my peep hole about 3/16 inch in diameter. There are no target peeps for my use.
Swede

Postby bowpackerrob » 12 06, 2013 •  [Post 18]

I just turned 50 still run 3 miles per day and you guys are scaring the crap out of me! Just kidding! Enjoy life to its fullest guys! Its way toooo short.
bowpackerrob

First Name: Robbie
Last Name: Crocker

Postby easeup » 12 06, 2013 •  [Post 19]

OK, I am hook set.
Lets talk hearing aids....seriously.

I have monitored coworkers and friends that have them, big$ ones also. I noticed most of them don't wear them very often either. what is with that?

I would pay top dollar to be able to hear the woods like my younger days. so if you have significant hearing loss like I, please reply with your observations about these gadgets. thanks
easeup

Postby cnelk » 12 06, 2013 •  [Post 20]

I will turn 50 in less than 60 days

Today I pulled the carbs out of a snowmobile I just bought to preform a good cleaning.

Holy smokes!
I couldnt see the jetting size on the little brass jets!
I couldnt see those small screws if they were phillips or slotted head!
I didnt know if I could see better with my glasses on or off!

But the good news is that the sled ran better once I got it all back together!
Lucky I guess :)

cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby Indian Summer » 12 06, 2013 •  [Post 21]

Right now I'm using Rexton hearing aids. Behind the ear model. The in the ear models seemed nice but in reality they don't perform as well because they are.... in your ear. They can't pick up sounds to the front and back as well. The best price I could find for "real" aids is at Costco. Not all Costco stores have a hearing aid center though. They were 3 grand which is very cheap really. 3 grand is the reason I don't always wear them. They won't last forever so I wear them when I only really need them. Mainly when hunting which drives my wife nuts but since the aren't in when she complains about it I can't hear her complain very well. lol

I don't like wearing them when I'm sweating up a storm like at work or just covering ground straight up the mountain. They'll squish around in my ear which I hate. More importantly the moisture could cause a problem... and has at times. They are NOT water resistant. Sometimes I wear them where there's a crowd. Channel 2 eliminates background sound so I can hear the person next to me better. I like that. Channel 1 is for normal use... in the house or other common settings. Not nearly as important. Just speak up if you want me to hear you. Better yet face me because I've mastered lip reading.

My first pair lasted 1 day. They needed adjusted as they were too loud on all channels..... as I requested. duh When you first get them they tell you to wean yourself onto them gradually. A few hours each day and increase. So I had taken them out and like a dummy put them in a t-shirt chest pocket when I'd had enough. Then I went to net a walleye on Lake Erie and when I leaned over.... plop plop gone to 75 feet deep. I about literally died. 3 grand for 1 day! But they were insured for 1 free replacement during the first year. Whew!

Before that I tried all the over the counter stuff. The guy who makes Walker products is from Pa. I had already owned his "in the ear" version. They just amplified everything including wind. Crunching leaves would blow me away at the volume level I needed to hear what I wanted. I hated them. So one year I was attending the Harrisburg outdoor show and I went over and talked to him. I asked to wear several different products at the show and he let me. I settled on the Quad Muffs. They are like headphones so bulky. But they have a front and rear microphone on each side and they worked way better. I used those about 75% satisfied until I got the real hearing aids. So many people have hearing impairments that I sold them on eBay very easily.

Nothing beat the real deal because they are digitally programed to amplify only the frequencies you need. I can hear lower frequencies way better. I can hear a drumming grouse almost as well as anyone. A dishwasher or refrigerator running drives me crazy. They may be all the way in the other room but will drown out the tv right in front of me. GRRRR! But the things most important in life like a bugling bull could be 100 yards away and if he was facing the other way or just over a small rise FORGET IT! I still think the real ones are over priced but worth having.

I'll be interest to hear MtnMutt's feedback on hearing aids. Which reminds me, I've been wondering where she's been lately???
Indian Summer

Postby JJ Overkill » 12 06, 2013 •  [Post 22]

man im in trouble. im only 31, soon to be 32. still have all my hair, eye sight. but ive lost most of my sense of smell due to the hammer incident this yr. my knees are in bad shape due to running in the military and an IED attack that tore up my right knee. I also lost some of my hearing in my right ear because of the explosion( I had ear plugs in even). I hurt my lower back a few years ago at work ( stupidity ). I already have days when I can barely get out of bed due to my back. I need to get a shop up and running to get out of my line of work. its not helping my body at all. add in the damage ive done to my right hand, im in trouble but I hope I don't lose any more of my senses or gain any more aches for some time. im hoping to be hunting well into my 60s but only god knows whats in store for me. I know how short this life can be so I try to make the most of it every chance I get.

im not sure how to coup with it getting older as I am not that old. all I can see is I will deal with what ever comes up.
JJ Overkill

First Name: jeremy

Postby Indian Summer » 12 06, 2013 •  [Post 23]

Bringing back memories. In 1992 I climbed up an old wooden tree stand. Never got to the top. The top step, a board with a couple nails in it, let go like nothing but the wind was holding it there. No warning at all. I fell 17 feet backward and landed flat on my back absolutely knocking all of the wind right out of me. It seemed like an eternity until I could muster the first breath. I had a small daypack on with a Canon Rebel camera in it. That lump in my pack broke 2 ribs about an inch an a half from my spine. One of them punctured my lung. I walked slowly to my truck which was about a mile taking steps about the length of one of my feet. I layed down once for a much needed break and could barely get back up. I knew I couldn't lay down again like that so the one other stop I made I leaned against a tree. I could taste blood and I knew it was bad. I made the truck and drove a mile to a friends house. He drove me to the hillbilly hospital where they did xrays to assess the damage. They literally rammed a metal tube into my lung under my left armpit, attached a rubber hose that came from a small electric pump and re-inflated my lung. Air came out my mouth and nose. Holy $h1T! All the while I could hear them talking to each other saying wow he made it a mile to his truck unreal. Then they said I was beyond their capabilities and asked if I preferred an ambulance or Life Flight to get me to downtown Pittsburgh where one of the best hospitals in the east is. I asked... will my insurance cover the chopper? They said yes and I said well get the damn thing here asap. As they wheeled me out my girlfriend, now wife pulled in to find they had the lot blocked to land the helicopter. She had driven an hour only to see my put in the Life Flight chopper and she had to turn around and drive an hour to the city freaking out the whole way. I spent three days in the ICU before they downgraded me to the next level of care. My back still hurts as I type this. I get nerve spasms and have a constant pinching feeling in one pinpoint spot. I can't say I'm used to it but it's an every day part of life. I'm pretty tolerant of pain. There are better days and there are worse. Sometimes I use a safety harness and sometimes I don't. duh!

But to have something like that happen while volunteering to make sure the rest of us have freedom is a damn shame. Volunteering in the first place is an admirable thing to have done. Thanks a million for your service Jeremy! I hope things improve for you as time goes by.
Indian Summer

Postby Swede » 12 06, 2013 •  [Post 24]

Indian Summer wrote:Sometimes I use a safety harness and sometimes I don't. duh!

What!??? You are referring to tree stand hunting aren't you? Joe my friend, that is crazy.
Swede

Postby Indian Summer » 12 07, 2013 •  [Post 25]

Yes Swede in treestands. They are a pain in the butt. I guess I just need to get one I like. I like the Tree Spider Speed Harness.

Here's another thing I really like. Livewire, from the same company On sale at Cabela's right now for $60. Lowers you slowly to the ground. Pretty cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayljZ3_Uc78
Indian Summer

Postby Mav » 12 07, 2013 •  [Post 26]

You guys are making me nervous with all this talk!! My dad just turned sixty this past august. We hunted together a few weeks after his birthday. I ended up being able to put my tag on a great black tail because he couldn't keep up. The first time that has EVER happened by ANYONE!! We used to call him the machine when we were younger. Granted he had his fair share of bumps and bruises and has hearing aids. But I'm only twenty-three and have had more surgeries than him! Shoulder and knee from football. Heart from a disease I was born with. Can't move three toes due to a chopping mishap as a logging sports competitor. Broken hip from a totaled truck. Man, you guys make me think I need to settle down or else!!
Mav

First Name: Chase
Last Name: Duncan

Postby Triplebhunters » 12 08, 2013 •  [Post 27]

Wow, seems we sail similar ships. I'm 50, eyes are terrible. Need readers to read map and gps. The red on a compass was a great invention since I can't read it without glasses.
My hearing is selective (per spouse), reality is that it does get noticeably better when on vaca.
Motivation to do physical training sucks.

But being that i am learning to be an elk hunter tells me my heart is healthy as can be.

For those with hair turning white or gray. I had my wife sew in a mesh face mask into my hat, then cut the face out. This hides a lot of sheen, keeps the breeze off your neck and face, moves easily when drawing your bow, and stows easily without to much discomfort when you don't want it hanging.
Triplebhunters

First Name: Dave

Postby Willie makit » 12 08, 2013 •  [Post 28]

Triplebhunters, if that's you in your avatar and your "learning" to be an elk hunter I'd say you have been sitting in the front of the class!
Willie makit

Postby >>>---WW----> » 12 08, 2013 •  [Post 29]

Indian Summer wrote:Right now I'm using Rexton hearing aids. Behind the ear model. The in the ear models seemed nice but in reality they don't perform as well because they are.... in your ear. They can't pick up sounds to the front and back as well. The best price I could find for "real" aids is at Costco. Not all Costco stores have a hearing aid center though. They were 3 grand which is very cheap really. 3 grand is the reason I don't always wear them. They won't last forever so I wear them when I only really need them. Mainly when hunting which drives my wife nuts but since the aren't in when she complains about it I can't hear her complain very well. lol

I don't like wearing them when I'm sweating up a storm like at work or just covering ground straight up the mountain. They'll squish around in my ear which I hate. More importantly the moisture could cause a problem... and has at times. They are NOT water resistant. Sometimes I wear them where there's a crowd. Channel 2 eliminates background sound so I can hear the person next to me better. I like that. Channel 1 is for normal use... in the house or other common settings. Not nearly as important. Just speak up if you want me to hear you. Better yet face me because I've mastered lip reading.

My first pair lasted 1 day. They needed adjusted as they were too loud on all channels..... as I requested. duh When you first get them they tell you to wean yourself onto them gradually. A few hours each day and increase. So I had taken them out and like a dummy put them in a t-shirt chest pocket when I'd had enough. Then I went to net a walleye on Lake Erie and when I leaned over.... plop plop gone to 75 feet deep. I about literally died. 3 grand for 1 day! But they were insured for 1 free replacement during the first year. Whew!

Before that I tried all the over the counter stuff. The guy who makes Walker products is from Pa. I had already owned his "in the ear" version. They just amplified everything including wind. Crunching leaves would blow me away at the volume level I needed to hear what I wanted. I hated them. So one year I was attending the Harrisburg outdoor show and I went over and talked to him. I asked to wear several different products at the show and he let me. I settled on the Quad Muffs. They are like headphones so bulky. But they have a front and rear microphone on each side and they worked way better. I used those about 75% satisfied until I got the real hearing aids. So many people have hearing impairments that I sold them on eBay very easily.

Nothing beat the real deal because they are digitally programed to amplify only the frequencies you need. I can hear lower frequencies way better. I can hear a drumming grouse almost as well as anyone. A dishwasher or refrigerator running drives me crazy. They may be all the way in the other room but will drown out the tv right in front of me. GRRRR! But the things most important in life like a bugling bull could be 100 yards away and if he was facing the other way or just over a small rise FORGET IT! I still think the real ones are over priced but worth having.

I'll be interest to hear MtnMutt's feedback on hearing aids. Which reminds me, I've been wondering where she's been lately???

I agree completely with everything Joe stated. Hey Joe, our wives should get together. But if they did we would both be in trouble for not wearing our hearing aids.

Mine are behind the ear type as well. And I lost one once (well actually twice) The first time I was hunting. I suppose when I took my binoculars off the strap must have rubbed one out of my ear without me noticing it. Cost me $800 to replace it at half price. Ever since then I rig up a piece of fishing line and tie them to my hat.

The other time was on a camping trip to Mt. Rushmore. I thought I had lost one in the parking lot there. Boy was I hot just thinking about having to pay for another one. The next morning my wife found it when she made the bed in the camper. I had gotten so used to them that I forgot to take them out when I went to bed and it must have fallen out when I rolled over in my sleep.

I highly recommend the very best ones you can afford. When I turn mine up in elk hunting mode, I have been able to hear many bugles that my friends with good ears could not hear.
>>>---WW---->

Postby Triplebhunters » 12 08, 2013 •  [Post 30]

Willie makit, thanks that's my third year out. I learned a lot this year, heard so much elk talk that I am headed into next year opening up my elk vocabulary. Carrying on a conversation with an elk is pretty cool stuff, even if I told him to come over and kick my a$$.
Triplebhunters

First Name: Dave

Postby elkmtngear » 12 08, 2013 •  [Post 31]

"can we talk about aging? us getting older".

NO!
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby Indian Summer » 12 09, 2013 •  [Post 32]

um.... what were we talking about again? :?: :lol:
Indian Summer

Postby pointysticks » 12 09, 2013 •  [Post 33]

mmmm....pudding!
pointysticks

Postby cnelk » 12 09, 2013 •  [Post 34]

What did you say?....
cnelk

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 09, 2013 •  [Post 35]

Can you guys type LOUDER please ;) Yes, soon to be 55 and I feel the effects of being "seasoned". It's early morning here at the Army post I work at. Several of us grisly civilians (Army retirees mostly) come in earlier than the green suiters that work with us in the staff (the Soldiers who work in my building do PT at 0630, grab chow, and report for work at 0900). A very young female lieutenant (I guess they're all young to me) came in to inprocess a few minutes ago. The officers that normally perform the inprocessing task won't be in for another 45 minutes so I told the young officer that I'd take care of her. I came downstairs to find her standing by the double doors that lead to our section of the building. I asked her if I could help her and she said "yes sir, I'm inprocessing". This is where the "seasoned" thing comes in. I squinted hard and pretty much stared at her chest from across the hall to see what rank she had sewn on her uniform to confirm she was an officer (enlisted Soldiers in/out process in another area). After I thought about it, she probably thought I was some creepy old dude. My specs were on top of my head which necessisated the squinting. :geek: Ugg, the loss of vision thing bugs me the most. I can see close up but not distances w/o the glasses.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 12 09, 2013 •  [Post 36]

Rj: You are obviously rather young. You are still in good shape when young women slap you or tell you off when you look at them that way. You will know you are old when they pay no attention to you, or they whisper to a friend and snicker about it.
Swede

Postby Willie makit » 12 09, 2013 •  [Post 37]

Swede wrote:Rj: You will know you are old when they pay no attention to you, or they whisper to a friend and snicker about it.

Whaaaahaaaa, no wait, I resemble that remark!
Willie makit

Postby Swede » 12 09, 2013 •  [Post 38]

Things are still going well for us Willie. :D Be of good cheer. When you arrive at the point of life when you begin to think they are flirting with you again, keep it STRICTLY to yourself. If you say something to your son or daughter, they will take it as a sign, and you will be moved to a place where the "girls" bring you soft food three meals a day, and they ask if you have had a BM. By the way BM does do stand for "body massage". At that point in life the BM by the way ranks up there with pinochle as the highlight of your day. Never mind if you can't remember if you had the BM or who is ahead in the pinochle game. You will have all the time you want or need to contemplate these weighty matters. :D
Swede

Postby LckyTylr » 12 09, 2013 •  [Post 39]

Without reading too much into this, it seems that the more battered and abused you have been through this game of life . . . the more elk you kill.

If that's somehow true . . . I either missed the boat or I need to swim out after it. :-) I don't know how many broken bones I've had in addition to my torn ligaments and surgeries . . . I guess the only thing I'm missing now is Age and Dead Elk!

You guys are awesome, carry on with the Old Fart Jokes.
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson

Postby cnelk » 12 10, 2013 •  [Post 40]

cnelk

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 10, 2013 •  [Post 41]

Here's to your health guys!

thCADJV5Y7.jpg
thCADJV5Y7.jpg (20.32 KiB) Viewed 19472 times
WapitiTalk1

Postby JGH » 12 16, 2013 •  [Post 42]

How did I miss this thread for so long? In my mid-to-upper-40s, I'm starting to understand what some of you are talking about.

This year, I broke down and got prescription sunglasses with bifocal lenses. It's great to be able to see what's in front of you as well as a map or GPS.

As for aging in general, if it weren't for my eyes, I'd say I feel better than I did 10 years ago. Exercise helps. I do notice that I can't drink near as much beer, but that's more of a "feature" of aging instead of a "bug".

I can't eat as much without gaining, either. But -- overall -- if it weren't for my eyes, I'm a young man.
JGH

First Name: John
Last Name: Haeberle

Postby Elkduds » 12 16, 2013 •  [Post 43]

When I started reading this thread I felt fine. About 3 posts in, my back started aching. It gave out entirely when I was halfway through. That's when I noticed I was sitting closer and closer to the monitor in order to see it. Had to make it brighter and magnify the screen image. My hearing faded while reading the posts from over the weekend, so I won't need any more pricey bugles or cow calls. I had a knee replaced 3/4 of the way through this thread. Won't need to see the barber any more, either, if I can cut my own ear and nose hair, and eyebrows. Bit myself on the a$$ when I sat on my dentures. I got pretty depressed when I noticed my rapid decline. I figured I'll just have to smell the elk in order to find them from now on. Then it dawned on me: I already had all these problems when I sat down at the computer. I got distracted by the Forums and forgot I had them for awhile. Getting old will do that to a guy.

Seriously, though. @ 55 I am sitting & glassing more/walking less, sleeping on a cot, keeping the Vitamin I handy, getting a locator beacon. I recognize I have a limited # of years left to hunt, so I have to spend more days on it each year. Might need to team up with some "less experienced" guys to do some of the heavy lifting, and in return I can add to their knowlege. Stay in shape and healthy, avoid getting sick or injured if I can. Make it last as long as possible, enjoy every second of it. If I knew I was going to live this long, I might have taken better care of myself :D
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 16, 2013 •  [Post 44]

Well said Elkduds.... well said ;) And, entertaining :D
WapitiTalk1

Postby Indian Summer » 12 16, 2013 •  [Post 45]

[quote="LckyTylr"]Without reading too much into this, it seems that the more battered and abused you have been through this game of life . . . the more elk you kill. quote]

Actually... that's true. Instead of running around like a kid in a candy store I think it helps if you are forced to hunt smarter instead of harder.

Felt good to be able to read that easily didn't it?
Indian Summer

Postby Lark Bunting » 12 19, 2013 •  [Post 46]

41 years young here... I blew out my right Illiotibial band (hip to knee) training for a race last summer. I rehabbed it back to good health in time for the race only to blow out both my right side and left side at the 8 mile mark...had 4 miles to go. I finished, limping horribly, but it has set me back tremendously.

I gave up running for most of the rest of the summer and fall. I just started back to it a few weeks ago. The pain is still there, my pace is WAY off, it sucks.

Mountain biking doesn't hurt it, yet, so I will do that to stay in shape. I've also been hiking with a 40# pack. I'll work up to 60# slowly.

Being married, a father of two children that do most any/every sport under the sun, and working full time, I have to prioritize my "extra" time for myself. This next nine months are dedicated to preparing for elk hunting in September. For some, planning an elk hunt is a means for them to step it up and get into shape...for me, it has slowed me down so I don't blow out a knee during the hunt or hopefully the pack out.

Getting older sucks.
Lark Bunting

First Name: Tom
Last Name: S

Postby pointysticks » 12 19, 2013 •  [Post 47]

you hearing aide guys..

whoosh..thanks for the reality check. my hearing is pretty good, despite my best attempts at ruining it. race motorcycles, firearms..and a brief period of car stereo mania. minor tinnitus..no biggie. i have fistfuls of earplugs everywhere. i dont take it for granted anymore. my work environment is very loud.

great funny responses folks.
pointysticks

Postby Harmy » 12 23, 2013 •  [Post 48]

Sounds like we have a club. I'm in too. Just turned 50. Can't see well. Have to have two sets of glasses. But none for reading. Hair nearly gone and beard now white. At least the knees are still connected and working.
Harmy

First Name: Chris

Postby Indian Summer » 12 23, 2013 •  [Post 49]

Harmy wrote:Just turned 50. Can't see well. Have to have two sets of glasses. But none for reading. Hair nearly gone and beard now white.

If this was charades I'd guess Santa Claus! :lol:
Indian Summer

Postby Harmy » 12 23, 2013 •  [Post 50]

Yea, except I lost my belly last year. That was one reverse trend I was able to achieve.
Harmy

First Name: Chris

Postby Bullnuts » 12 24, 2013 •  [Post 51]

Oh, how I feel your pain! Back hurts, knees hurt, neck hurts...and then I get out of bed! I'm only 47 but sometimes feel like I'm WW's age. Except WW is probably in better shape than I am right now, so that really adds insult to injury. Lots of hard miles early in life have left their mark for sure. Hope I'm still hunting in 20 years.
Bullnuts

Postby Lefty » 12 26, 2013 •  [Post 52]

I had 4 uncles and an aunt in the ground at my age,..55 I just give thanks every day and learn to deal with the rest
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby pointysticks » 12 27, 2013 •  [Post 53]

Lefty wrote:I had 4 uncles and an aunt in the ground at my age,..55 I just give thanks every day and learn to deal with the rest

Amen! My dad died at 42. I'm going at life hard till I can't.
pointysticks

Postby blackwolf » 12 28, 2013 •  [Post 54]

Enjoy it while it lasts! I was running 5 miles every other day at age 54; now at 59 I have 2 bionic knees and an upper and lower back fusion. Just never know how aging is going to treat you. And yes, I cuss every time I forget my reading glasses. But yes, I plan on being in the mountains this fall finally after recouping fron surgeries the last 5 years. Fully bionic for retirement might not be so bad! lol
blackwolf

First Name: Jim
Last Name: Messerschmidt

Postby >>>---WW----> » 12 28, 2013 •  [Post 55]

You are only as old as you feel. Age doesn't have a whole heck of a lot to do with it. Keep hunting/stay healthy!
>>>---WW---->

Postby Still Hunter » 12 28, 2013 •  [Post 56]

I just turned 71. I won't bore you with all that's wrong with me. It would take hours, and it's past my bedtime.

However, I still hunt elk alone in the mountains at 11,000 ft. Your age is just a number. Tell yourself you're old, and you'll start acting like it.
Still Hunter

Postby ORelksniper » 12 29, 2013 •  [Post 57]

Still Hunter wrote:Your age is just a number. Tell yourself you're old, and you'll start acting like it.

I like the way you think, Still Hunter.
ORelksniper

Postby >>>---WW----> » 12 29, 2013 •  [Post 58]

Pete: Give me about 4 months and I'll catch up with you. But I don't waste my time @ 11,000' when the elk are @ 8,000-9,000. LOL! And I still hunt alone. That way I don't have anyone else to blame if I mess up!
>>>---WW---->

Postby mtnmutt » 01 04, 2014 •  [Post 59]

Indian Summer wrote:I'll be interest to hear MtnMutt's feedback on hearing aids. Which reminds me, I've been wondering where she's been lately???

I could not HEAR you calling my name ;) Women can play that game too...selective hearing.

Just now reading this thread.

Lots of good advice on hearing aids.

My background on hearing loss:
Going on 30 years now with profound/deaf loss in left ear (90dB to No reading/deaf) and 60-70dB loss in right ear. My left ear requires a behind the ear powerful aid, therefore, I buy 2 behind the ear power aides so I can switch them if one needs service. 4.5 yrs ago cost me $1700/each. Mine last 5-7 years. They usually need service around 5/6 yrs old for $220 each which gives me 1-2 more yrs of life and a one year warranty. My current hearing aid brand is Phonak.

30 years ago, I was told the following: The 3 worst things for aids are water, ear wax and hair spray. I stopped using hairspray. Since most of you lost your hair, I doubt you use hairspray either. I lived on the East Coast when I started wearing aids. Moisture was a problem. I put my aids in a dri-aid sack at night (google: HAL-HEN Dri-aid kit or Super Dri-aid). It will help dry them out. I don't use one much here in Colorado, but water droplets still form from exercise. I take the tube off the aid and suck the water out. Blowing it out will add moisture. The water droplets can make it sound like you are underwater. Using the dri-aid at night will help extend the life of your hearing aids. Make sure you use a wash cloth on your ears when you shower to reduce ear wax. Q-tip your ears everyday to reduce wax. Each day, wipe your aids with a dry cloth or tissue to remove wax from your hearing aids, Even if you do not see the wax, it is there. Very narrow pipe cleaners can clean the tubes. Get them at tobacco stores.

In most cases, the safest place for your aids is in your ear. The exception is if you have in the ear hearing aids and they are loosely fitted. I have never lost a hearing aid in the 30 years of wearing them. I wear mine every waking hour except when swimming or showering. I protect them when it rains with a hat or my long thick hair. Sounds stupid, but I keep my hair shoulder length because it is so handy to protect my hearing aids in a downpour.

Do yourself a favor and find a reputable audiologist for getting hearing aids. Avoid the strip mall places. They likely have only 2 brands or so. You need a good audiologist.

I have 4 programs on my aids. One normal, one for loud places to cut background noise, one for telecoil (sound is only heard over phone or headphones), and last one is telecoil+normal to use headphones and still hear people talk to me. I do not have an elk program because of my need for the telecoil feature.

My left aid is turned up so much that it will feedback if anything is on my head or near my ear. It had to be turned off while hunting because of the feedback, but it stays in my ear because it can't get lost if it is in my ear.

I won't list my other damaged body parts. It is what it is.

cnelk gets to 50 about 30 days before me. Now, I can make fun of how old he is :D
mtnmutt

Postby Still Hunter » 01 04, 2014 •  [Post 60]

>>>---WW----> wrote:Pete: Give me about 4 months and I'll catch up with you. But I don't waste my time @ 11,000' when the elk are @ 8,000-9,000. LOL! And I still hunt alone. That way I don't have anyone else to blame if I mess up!

You can never catch up to someone older than you are. ;)
Still Hunter

Postby Indian Summer » 01 05, 2014 •  [Post 61]

mtnmutt wrote:
Indian Summer wrote:I'll be interest to hear MtnMutt's feedback on hearing aids. Which reminds me, I've been wondering where she's been lately???

I could not HEAR you calling my name ;) Women can play that game too...selective hearing.

Since most of you lost your hair, I doubt you use hairspray either. :D

Ha ha wise gal! I love it.... since I have a full head of hair. Short jokes are a different story. Some REALLY good stuff on the hearing aids. Moisture is huge. I gave up the telecoil program for the hunting one. I hate phones and elk are more important than telephone calls.

Glad to see we lured you away from work a little!
Indian Summer

Postby Still Hunter » 01 05, 2014 •  [Post 62]

All that hair makes you look taller.
Still Hunter

Postby Indian Summer » 01 07, 2014 •  [Post 63]

That's true Stillhunter but being short makes all my bulls look bigger in pictures so I'm not complaining. I can look like those guys who stand 10 feet behind animals for hero shots when I'm leaning right up against them. How nice is that? But then again, you don't take pics or even keep antlers. What do you do with your antlers anyway? Or when we get to your age do we just forget where we put them? :lol:
Indian Summer

Postby Still Hunter » 01 07, 2014 •  [Post 64]

Very funny shorty.
Still Hunter