Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

cried uncle! tacoma brake job.

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

cried uncle! tacoma brake job.

Postby pointysticks » 12 09, 2013 •  [Post 1]

i am fighting a sore shoulder. plus it is very cold here. 28deg..i know, i know..warm for some of you mountain states..but sorry, i'm cold! :)

i have vibrating front brakes. suspect warped rotors. no biggie. grabbed some new rotor, new pads..simple brake job, right? no!! the caliper bolts were the most torqued bolts ever!! they are only 17mm, so twisting off the head was a real possibility. i yanked on it hard..used a rubber mallet, etc. i didnt want to really get medieval on the thing because the brake line runs right there. a quick, unrecoverable slip of the wrench would crush or break that line. there is no room for any cheater bar.

i called it. put the wheel/tire back on..took a shower, made some hot tea and planted my ass on the couch. i just got that weird vibe, premonition that my $100 job was gonna go up exponentially. i put pride away.

i called my buddy at the shop. he said.."heck..i'll do that for $100" DONE!! i am gonna drop it off today..i checked with the Snap-On guy..the wrench i wanted (longer handle ratchet) was waaaaayyyyy more than than :)

i miss being young and dumb..in my youth, i would have put the floor jack under that wrench handle..hahahah..then i would be shopping for a new spindle after i saws-all off the fasteners. glad i make more money now :D
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Re: cried uncle! tacoma brake job.

Postby JJ Overkill » 12 13, 2013 •  [Post 2]

sounds like you got a good deal from my buddy. I know how much those snap on ratchets are. I own three versions of them. all in my work tool box.

so did your buddy tell you what the torque on the bolts are supposed to be. did they have lock tight on them? I am just curious.
JJ Overkill

First Name: jeremy

Postby Lefty » 12 26, 2013 •  [Post 3]

You did know those are left handed threads,.. right!!

Just kidding.
I put brake on my wifes Camrey,.. YTUBE was worth the time
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby cnelk » 12 26, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Have your buddy put some anti seize on those threads before he tightens them back up.
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby pointysticks » 12 30, 2013 •  [Post 5]

i know i could have gotten the fasteners out..eventually. at a real shop, the guys put a breaker bar on it, and can safely pull. the car is on a lift.

my crappy jack stands, truck barely off the ground. it is a different story. work has been done. no more warped rotors! i love a smooth brake.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l