Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Chance for a lion hunt

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Chance for a lion hunt

Postby >>>---WW----> » 12 17, 2013 •  [Post 1]

I got a call last night from a rancher friend. He had just spotted a lion and had called in a houndsman to chase it down. He wanted to know if I'd like to go and get the cat. I know a lot of guys would jump at an opportunity like that and it was a free hunt. They just needed someone with a tag to take the lion.

It took me about two seconds to figure how tasty lion meat is. And another two seconds to realize that I didn't have a place to hang a lion rug or mounted trophy. And another two seconds to figure I wasn't going to pay a big taxidermy bill. So like a big dummy, I had to decline.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Re: Chance for a lion hunt

Postby cnelk » 12 17, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I'll take the hunt!
I can be there in 4 hrs
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby bnsafe » 12 17, 2013 •  [Post 3]

HOLY COW, I would kill for a lion. that's amazing ww.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby Buglemaster » 12 17, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Oh Billy Billy Billy , you didn't call me?
Buglemaster

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Shaklee

Postby >>>---WW----> » 12 17, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Kinda figured I'd get flamed for not doing it. LOL! Oh well, they couldn't find the track this morning anyhow.
>>>---WW---->

Postby bnsafe » 12 17, 2013 •  [Post 6]

if you've killed one I could see it, but, if you havnt.........................
bnsafe

Postby Indian Summer » 12 18, 2013 •  [Post 7]

bnsafe wrote:if you've killed one I could see it, but, if you havnt.........................

DITTO!
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby MTLongdraw » 12 18, 2013 •  [Post 8]

I went on my very first lion "hunt" this past Saturday. Very cool experience. We ended up treeing what they told me was about a 110 pound tom. I wouldn't exactly call shooting a lion a hunt as the hunt is actually in watching the dogs work and track. I love watching dogs work whether it be pointing dogs, retrievers, or hounds. I've never had a hunting dog so I just think its the greatest thing ever. It was a very, very cool experience. It was fun to go with houndsmans who don't shoot just because they know they are in charge of managing their own amounts of game. I would say true hounds man control their populations more than any other hunters. The guy I went with said he probably wont shoot another cat unless its in the 170-180 range. Its cool to see a guy spend thousands of dollars on food, collars, kennels, gas, and gear and not need to shoot something to feel accomplished. He has treed probably well over 500 cats and said its still like Christmas morning to walk to a tree with a cat in it. Another cool thing is their were about 6 new dogs who had never treed a cat so watching them on their first was very cool.
MTLongdraw

First Name: Josh
Last Name: Volinkaty

Postby easeup » 12 18, 2013 •  [Post 9]

MTLongdraw wrote:.................................................... He has treed probably well over 500 cats and said its still like Christmas morning to walk to a tree with a cat in it. ......................

this would be me.......never done it.....but what a grand experience I perceive.

I got to add.....every bull I call in hits me this way too.......what a fantastic moment it continues to be!
easeup

Postby bnsafe » 12 18, 2013 •  [Post 10]

watching a lion hunt on tv right now, man if the hunt wasn't 5000 I would be all over that. wow that looks exciting
bnsafe

Postby elkmtngear » 12 18, 2013 •  [Post 11]

>>>---WW----> wrote:Kinda figured I'd get flamed for not doing it. LOL! Oh well, they couldn't find the track this morning anyhow.

I'm flaming you Bill...we are talking blowtorch! Feel the heat ;)
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby >>>---WW----> » 12 18, 2013 •  [Post 12]

My tail end feels the burn Jeff! LOL!
>>>---WW---->

Postby wawhitey » 12 18, 2013 •  [Post 13]

shoulda done it.... ive been trying to get one this year but the weather has not been cooperating and now work is interrupting. ill be getting back from alaska sometime first week of january (i hope) and if im lucky the coug season will still be open, and if im even luckier the snow wont pile up enough to keep me out of where i want to go. i shot AT a lion for the first time this october, with my sidearm, and missed. now i want one worse than ever
wawhitey

Postby pointysticks » 12 20, 2013 •  [Post 14]

i'd eat a cougar...wait, that came out wrong.

i've heard it is really pretty good. anyone actually eat one?
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Lefty » 12 20, 2013 •  [Post 15]

pointysticks wrote:,,,i've heard it is really pretty good. anyone actually eat one?

Ive had bobcats, quite sweet tasting. Ive heard Mt Lion is tasty
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby >>>---WW----> » 12 20, 2013 •  [Post 16]

pointysticks wrote:i'd eat a cougar...wait, that came out wrong.

i've heard it is really pretty good. anyone actually eat one?

Dang, I just spit soda pop all over my keyboard. Which one are asking about! LOL! I've tried the four legged ones. It is similar to pork chops but a little drier.
>>>---WW---->

Postby Indian Summer » 12 21, 2013 •  [Post 17]

LMFAO Pointy!

Yes I've eaten them. Lions that is! ;) It's white meat very similar to pork. If you are a backstrap filet you might think it was a boneless pork chop.

Longdraw EXCELLENT post! I tell everyone.... hunting lions is NOT always about shooting them. Even if you do shoot one the pics and video taken prior to the shot will be as much as or more rewarding as the rug or mount. And YES, for me and most who have hunting dogs it's more about watching and interacting with the dogs than anything. I've treed and walked away from my share of lions. Worth it for sure every bit as much as carrying one back to the truck.

Here's a cool pic. I spotted 3 lions, a female with 2 young. Mama ran pretty quick but I bawled out the window like one of my Walker hounds. I'm pretty good at it if I might say so myself. After all..... men are dogs right? lol The two young did as they were taught and treed right away. The thing is they only went about 6 feet or so up. Then, like a deer or rabbit that thinks you can't see them as long as they remain motionless, they sat there frozen while I took several pics. What a great day of "hunting", no guns or bows needed.

As far as shooting one, like Longdraw said, it's not much of a challenge so I always used my bow. Had a 22mag for backup just in case. I have some insane stories of cats jumping the tree and about knocking me over. One time this young dude from down the road asked to come to the tree with us to show his friend from Texas a lion. When we got there it was fairly high up and we did the usual to try to determine if it was a female or a tom. Throw snowballs etc. It wouldn't budge. So the kid climbs up on the opposite side if the tree trunk until he gets just a foot or two below and flicks it's tail with his hand. Holy smokes that lion spun around faster than greased lightning and swatted his ball cap right off of his head and he nearly fell backwards out of the tree. He climbed down faster than a scared squirrel and said yeah... I'll never do that again. lol
Attachments
lion3.jpg
lion3.jpg (97.81 KiB) Viewed 6646 times
lion2.jpg
lion2.jpg (101.4 KiB) Viewed 6646 times
lion.jpg
lion.jpg (66.58 KiB) Viewed 6646 times
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby ishy » 12 31, 2013 •  [Post 18]

Funny I just posted on the other thread that lion tastes good. I got one while elk hunting and it will always be one of my favorite hunts. I have called a couple in while calling coyotes, but never had a tag. I was elated one decided to show up while I had a tag in my pocket.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby Lefty » 12 31, 2013 •  [Post 19]

Indian Summer wrote:,.... the kid climbs up on the opposite side if the tree trunk until he gets just a foot or two below and flicks it's tail with his hand. Holy smokes that lion spun around faster than greased lightning and swatted his ball cap right off of his head and he nearly fell backwards out of the tree. He climbed down faster than a scared squirrel and said yeah... I'll never do that again. lol

I crawled up a tree with a 110 lb'er, Every time I reached for its tail it sprayed me and crawled higher. I realized I was a long ways up and headed back down
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby ishy » 01 05, 2014 •  [Post 20]

Here is my cat pretty good size for a female, I didn't have a chance to check the sex first!
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L