Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Now That's an Elk Country Tavern

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Now That's an Elk Country Tavern

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 01 08, 2014 •  [Post 1]

Ever been to a quaint old tavern in a small town in elk country? Got a picture of it to share? I've got one very special place that I frequent every so often that's well, quite unique and memorable. How about you cats?
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Now That's an Elk Country Tavern

Postby easeup » 01 08, 2014 •  [Post 2]

no.....but I would join you at yours sometime...:)

here's a toast to wild elk in great country.
easeup

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 01 08, 2014 •  [Post 3]

easeup wrote:no.....but I would join you at yours sometime...:)

here's a toast to wild elk in great country.

Anytime. I raise my glass to your toast 'clink' :)
WapitiTalk1

Postby Indian Summer » 01 09, 2014 •  [Post 4]

Heck yeah..... but no pics. The Hereford in Noxon as well as Toby's. Can't remember the name of the one in Alpine Wyoming but they have some cool mounts including a MONSTER pedestal mount. The Naughty Moose south of Conner Montana and Guys Steakhouse on Rt 12 heading to Lolo Pass from the Bitterroot both have killer décor and food to go with it. Skalkaho Steahouse is owned by John Rose, an outfitter so you can imagine that place. I'm going to start taking pics of these joints the next time I'm there. But when you drive into Afton Wyoming... is there any question that you're in a place where there are elk country taverns? There it's the Cowboy Bar.
Attachments
EN5.jpg
EN5.jpg (108.74 KiB) Viewed 5096 times
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby FemoralArchery » 01 09, 2014 •  [Post 5]

Indian Summer wrote:Heck yeah..... but no pics. The Hereford in Noxon as well as Toby's. Can't remember the name of the one in Alpine Wyoming but they have some cool mounts including a MONSTER pedestal mount. The Naughty Moose south of Conner Montana and Guys Steakhouse on Rt 12 heading to Lolo Pass from the Bitterroot both have killer décor and food to go with it. Skalkaho Steahouse is owned by John Rose, an outfitter so you can imagine that place. I'm going to start taking pics of these joints the next time I'm there. But when you drive into Afton Wyoming... is there any question that you're in a place where there are elk country taverns? There it's the Cowboy Bar.

Joe, what else should a guy check out in the Alpine area in July? My bro-in-law and his lady friend will be having a baby then. Of course my wife wants to go and see their baby. I want to see animals, or any other cool stuff that anybody recommends.
FemoralArchery

First Name: Adam

Postby >>>---WW----> » 01 09, 2014 •  [Post 6]

Joe! Do you come out west to go hunting or bar hopping! LOL! :lol:
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 01 09, 2014 •  [Post 7]

>>>---WW----> wrote:Joe! Do you come out west to go hunting or bar hopping! LOL! :lol:

He only stops in for the atmosphere, a 7UP, and a postcard ;) Here's a couple of inside pics of a few places that he and I have both stopped by over the years. Remember these IS? Two different places.

hereford.jpg
hereford.jpg (50.01 KiB) Viewed 5068 times

l2.jpg
l2.jpg (49.56 KiB) Viewed 5068 times
WapitiTalk1

Postby SoCo Mark » 01 11, 2014 •  [Post 8]

When I lived in Gunnison, CO, I used to hang out at the Last Chance Saloon. It's a locals hangout, but Gunnison locals are some really nice people. If you don't give 'em grief, they leave you alone and are down right friendly. I never gave 'em grief (or anyone else for that matter, just not my style) so I can't really say what they would do. I can imagine though... All in all, treat the people of Gunnison with respect when in their area, and they will be the nicest folks you could meet. Living those winters year after year, I will say that is a tough, hardy group of people.
SoCo Mark

First Name: Mark
Last Name: C

Postby Indian Summer » 01 12, 2014 •  [Post 9]

You guys crack me up. The fact is, I've learned so much on here that I end up with a whole bull tied to the tailgate outside the bars for the last 5 days of my 7 day hunts.

Top pic the Hereford. Not sure on the bottom one, Toby's?

What is this? Name that bar?

If you can name every bar in elk country you might be a redneck. :lol:
Indian Summer

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 01 12, 2014 •  [Post 10]

Ya, Toby's. Got some silver dollars inlaid in the bar :)
WapitiTalk1

Postby Indian Summer » 01 13, 2014 •  [Post 11]

I thought so. It hasn't been all that long since I was in the Hereford but I bet over 25 years since I stopped in the silver dollar bar.
Indian Summer

Postby flystrait » 01 14, 2014 •  [Post 12]

Indian Summer wrote:I thought so. It hasn't been all that long since I was in the Hereford but I bet over 25 years since I stopped in the silver dollar bar.

It is still up and running strong these days!

The ONE I will never forget is a bar in Yachats, OR on the coast called Lesters. You checked your guns "Rifles" at the bar and every beer is two bits. The things that went on in there! Well I will just say they will be in my memories the rest of my life. No rated R movie can compare :shock:
flystrait

Postby Washington Wapiti » 01 20, 2014 •  [Post 13]

Ahhhh absolutely. I don't have a picture of it, but one is in Cougar and I lived just down the highway 10 miles from it in 2011. Here is another one near and dear to my heart. Not in elk country, but the same idea. The Chesaw Tavern, in the thriving metropolis of Chesaw, WA. My brother and I were in here one time and the bartender rode her horse in the front door. LOL That is MY kinda place!

photo.JPG
photo.JPG (206.01 KiB) Viewed 4926 times
Washington Wapiti

First Name: SHAWN

Postby Freebird134 » 01 20, 2014 •  [Post 14]

When we come out of the mtns and hit the bars in McCall, the antlers aren't the racks we are usually looking for....
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 01 20, 2014 •  [Post 15]

Freebird134 wrote:When we come out of the mtns and hit the bars in McCall, the antlers aren't the racks we are usually looking for....

Just leave your bugle in the truck.. don't want to make them call shy :D
WapitiTalk1

Postby Washington Wapiti » 01 21, 2014 •  [Post 16]

I thought I remember reading somewhere that a good grunt works well in that type of scenario. ;)
Washington Wapiti

First Name: SHAWN