Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Trying to remember an article

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Trying to remember an article

Postby Willie makit » 01 24, 2014 •  [Post 1]

I recall reading an article many years ago about a guy that built handmade bows and had died, so the article was just telling his story. What I recall was he was an outstanding shot and was very modest guy, his bows were quite expensive but a poor lady came and asked him to build a bow for her son and any had 50$ or so to spend. This guy fixed her up with a bow worth much more than he charged her and she was non the wiser to what she got.

Another thing was some one bet him he couldn't hit his camera at 80 yards, he shot this guys camera through the lens and won the bet.

The writer told of this guy stalking a mule deer laying down on a mountain to within 20 yards before he shot it. I'm not sure of the details but that is the just of what I recall. This may have been in an issue of outdoor life as I had a subscription for years but I can't recall, just wondered if any others happen to remember this article and Gus name?
I don't recall where he lived but now I think about it's think he died in a skiing accident but not sure.

Makes me mad and bugs me not to be able to recall details.
Willie makit

First Name: Thomas

Re: Trying to remember an article

Postby Buglemaster » 01 24, 2014 •  [Post 2]

Sounds like the great bow maker Paul Schafer. He tragically died in a skiing accident. I remember the article also. Stand out hunter, athlete and husband/ father. Named his son Hunter.
Buglemaster

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Shaklee

Postby Indian Summer » 01 25, 2014 •  [Post 3]

Definitely Paul Shafer. His well known bows were the Silver Tips.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby timberland » 01 25, 2014 •  [Post 4]

I remember the article well. It what a great tribute to what sounded like a good man and a good hunter. It was an outdoor life article after Paul's passing. It really helped define what hunting meant for me (12 Yrs old in WI wanting to chase wild things in wild places). The article relates an incident where someone was surprised Paul had not entered a very large mountain goat into P&Y. When informed of how well the goat scored he said "good for him".
timberland

First Name: Barry
Last Name: B

Postby Willie makit » 01 25, 2014 •  [Post 5]

Thanks I'll try to look it up, I'd like to read it again. Shame more folks like that aren't written about before something tragic happens to them. Funny how one article can hang with you a long time and kinda inspire you to do\be better all around.
Willie makit

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 01 25, 2014 •  [Post 6]

Paul S was the man for sure. My first hunting buddy ever in MT had a Shafer takedown. Coolest bow I'd eve seen. Here's a link from the Silvertip website with some articles about Paul. The 'camera' story is in the very first article.

http://www.schafersilvertipbows.com/tribute.html
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Willie makit » 01 26, 2014 •  [Post 7]

Cool, thanks for link and info, geez 1993? Knew it had been a while but didn't realize that much of a while.
Willie makit