Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Smartphone battery life in backcountry?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Smartphone battery life in backcountry?

Postby mtnmutt » 02 15, 2014 •  [Post 1]

My 4.5 year old Palm Pre smartphone with its convenient removable battery ($2 a pop) started its slow death back in January. For backpacking, I would throw the lightweight extra batteries in my pack. I made sure mine is set too airplane mode in case it accidentally turns on by itself and decides to do the "search" for a signal which drains the battery. I never came close to running out of juice for 3-4 day trips.

My beloved physical keyboard and removable battery smartphone is now a rarity as are dumb phones, so it looks like I am getting a non-removeable battery phone. I refuse to carry a solar charger or other gizmo. I have a SPOT2. Therefore, being able to text my brother to say I am still not eaten by a bear is not a requirement. However, family members are getting older, so staying in contact is becoming more important.

I did research and these 2 smartphones through Verizon seem to have good battery life; LG G2 and Moto X. I am an Android gal, not an apple fanboy :D

How many days do you all get on one charge in the backcountry if you aren't turning it on much?
mtnmutt

Re: Smartphone battery life in backcountry?

Postby >>>---WW----> » 02 15, 2014 •  [Post 2]

I don't use my phone all that much. Sometimes I don't even pack it with me. But just laying here on my desk in the ON position, it will easily last several days before needing a charge. And if I turn it to OFF, it will last over a week or so.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby mtnmutt » 02 15, 2014 •  [Post 3]

Thanks.
WW do you have a strong cell signal at your house?

When I lived in a cinderblock house in Leadville, I had a weak signal and the battery would drain down within a day because it was sometimes searching for a signal.

My current phone while in the backcountry does best if I turn on airplane mode until I need to send a text or check for messages. My hope is to get at least 3 days out of a new phone if I set it to airplane mode and turn it off.
mtnmutt

Postby timberland » 02 15, 2014 •  [Post 4]

Check out Rayovac 2 hour power. Battery pack for cell phones that use cr123a batteries that are replaceable
timberland

First Name: Barry
Last Name: B

Postby jmez » 02 15, 2014 •  [Post 5]

I have a RazrM and battery lasted a week last year. I only turned it on a couple times a day.
jmez

First Name: jason
Last Name: mez

Postby Huntrgathr » 02 16, 2014 •  [Post 6]

You probably know this already but putting your phone on " airplane mode" is the equivalent of turning it off. If your phone is searching for a signal the battery goes away quick. Another thing that's really important is to keep your phone warm all the time. Cold kills your battery - or rather, it makes the power stored in the battery unavailable. Keep your phone in a chest pocket or inside coat pocket. Be careful though because you can really steam up your phone if your'e wearing fabrics that can't breathe fast enough...

Also, iPhones are better than androids. :ugeek:
Huntrgathr

Postby mtnmutt » 02 16, 2014 •  [Post 7]

Huntrgathr wrote:You probably know this already but putting your phone on " airplane mode" is the equivalent of turning it off. If your phone is searching for a signal the battery goes away quick. Another thing that's really important is to keep your phone warm all the time. Cold kills your battery - or rather, it makes the power stored in the battery unavailable. Keep your phone in a chest pocket or inside coat pocket. Be careful though because you can really steam up your phone if your'e wearing fabrics that can't breathe fast enough...

Also, iPhones are better than androids. :ugeek:

Lol. Troublemaker :D iPhones are also the #1 stolen phone. I am about to buy my mom an iPhone and worry about that "feature".

Yes, the airplane mode has worked great for me. Battery drain is also a problem the more the screen is activated. Takes more power for those fancy high pixel screens than a lower pixel screen resolution.

I did have trouble with steam on the phone when I put it in a pocket. It was in a chest pocket. First-Lite wool top. Coat pocket was better.

Thanks everyone. I will try out the phone's battery life on a scouting trip.
mtnmutt