Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Techno-Hunt

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Techno-Hunt

Postby Mikeha33 » 02 19, 2014 •  [Post 1]

Have you guys ever done one of these? I did my first one yesterday afternoon at the local bow shop, and I tell you what, it is overly addictive!!!! If you haven't done one, or checked out what it is, I highly recommend it! I shot 380" elk, monster whitetails, buffalo, lots of sheep, fish, insects, waterfowl, everything! It's a great tool for shot placement, patience, understanding animals anatomy, and great fun. You shoot for score, based on a miss, body, vitals, and a bullseye (heart shot). I'm going back this afternoon to shoot another round!
Mikeha33

First Name: Michael
Last Name: Halsey

Re: Techno-Hunt

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 19, 2014 •  [Post 2]

Is this the one where you shoot at the large screen with the critters shown in different settings? I can't remember what it was called but we used to have one here at a local shop years ago. it was a blast!
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby UtPreacher » 02 19, 2014 •  [Post 3]

That sounds like a blast! Is it a video or just pictures up on a screen?
UtPreacher

First Name: Chris
Last Name: Petersen

Postby Mikeha33 » 02 19, 2014 •  [Post 4]

Rory, that's right. It's video footage of all different types of animals, from fish, to cougars, to African dangerous big game. It's amazing how they have put the scores over the anatomy correctly, so if you hit high, it registers as a "body" shot (5 points), as opposed to a "bullseye" (heart) shot. On the smaller game, fish, insects, and birds, you aim for the head for your "bullseye". Its only a 20 yard shot, but the size of the animal varies with each shot, so you may be using your 20 yd pin, but it feels like a 60 yard whitetail shot, since the image is so much smaller. It's a blast, and a good competition. Our bowshop has a tournament that runs from Tuesday-Saturday every week, and high score on a 30 minute shoot (about 55 arrows) winner takes all (cash prize). Ill be in it next week.
Mikeha33

First Name: Michael
Last Name: Halsey

Postby >>>---WW----> » 02 19, 2014 •  [Post 5]

Don't they call that the Dart system or something like that?
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 19, 2014 •  [Post 6]

>>>---WW----> wrote:Don't they call that the Dart system or something like that?

That's it! At least thats what they called the one I used to use many years ago.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby weaver » 02 19, 2014 •  [Post 7]

There's 2 shops within 40 mins of my house that have them. Lots of fun
weaver

Postby Washington Wapiti » 02 20, 2014 •  [Post 8]

Ohhhhh good 'ol DART! One winter while en route to Washington, I got stranded in Butte, Montana for a week because of winter weather conditions. Good 'ol Greyhound put us up in a hotel for a week, and like any good obsessed . . . uh, dedicated archer I just happend to have my bow with me. Like American Express, I never leave home without it! I grabbed a cab one morning to the local archery shop and they had an indoor range there. They also had the DART range out to 20 yards and much like Mikeha33 described. There's was down for a while and they were just getting it up and going again the day I was there. So, I got to be the "tester" and shot 2 or 3 sets for free. I dug it.
Washington Wapiti

First Name: SHAWN

Postby dapper » 02 20, 2014 •  [Post 9]

My son lives near a Scheels sporting goods store that has a techno hunt. When we go visit him we go there to shoot. We shot one program last time that was all elk. It was a lot of fun even though I lost a few bucks to him because he beat me. Think I'd learn not to bet with him.

Dan
dapper

First Name: Dan
Last Name: Behring