Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Truck Tires?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Truck Tires?

Postby Lark Bunting » 02 20, 2014 •  [Post 1]

Do you have a preference on truck tires? My Bridgestone Duellers get a big FAT F...for F-You. I have 23k on my '12 Tundra. Granted, these tires were never aggressive to begin with but I'd have expected at least 40k mi out of them. I drive 36 miles round trip each day to work, then maybe a few extra miles each day for kids' activities in the evenings. Did a little dirt road off-roading to hunt and fish. Sadly, with only 23k miles these things are bald!

Anyway, I am really liking the Hankooks: http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/tires/ ... 3&pc=10826

I looked into the Nitto Terra Grapplers as well but they don't get rave reviews in the snow, nor mileage.

Before I go drop a grand on tires, figured I'd get your opinions.
Lark Bunting

First Name: Tom
Last Name: S

Re: Truck Tires?

Postby UtPreacher » 02 20, 2014 •  [Post 2]

We put some Cooper AT/3 on our F150 in August of last year. After hunting through October and driving this winter they have been good tires in the snow and mud. As far as longevity I can't tell you that yet. They do seem to be wearing well so far.
UtPreacher

First Name: Chris
Last Name: Petersen

Postby pointysticks » 02 20, 2014 •  [Post 3]

here is my tire story.

i got my truck used in Los Angelos. had a buddy look the truck over, he gave me thumbs up..and i paypal'd a deposit to the seller. wife and i flew down there, did the deal and drove the six hours home. the seller warned me. "the tires are bald"

they were gone!! the drive home..i thought we were gonna have a blow out..but thankfully, no.

the next day, i went to work. my wife trying to be sweet, drove my truck to Costco and bought me some Michelin 4 season radials. the LTX radials or something. in the meantime, at work i am reading reviews on the baddest and gnarliest all terrains i could find. i wanted that rugged look. 90% sure i was buying Coopers!

i get home and i see these tame, smooth, STREET TIRES on the truck..my wife asks.."do you like them?..i wanted to surprise you!"
i outwardly smile and thank her..but internally i was bummed. oh well, i figure i wear these out and get the manly tires of my dreams.

now fast forward. the tires are AWESOME!! i get great mpg. super silent driving on the highway. (be honest, most of your driving is on the street)..i get into the woods or desert..they work GREAT offroad. i climbed up a mountain after fully modded jeeps..just to find cell service. in idaho..i drove thru mudpits..climb wet mountains..barely any wheelspin. big snowstorms..whatever.. move over slow drivers..i'm coming thru!! i have put 40,000 miles on the tires and they are still very much alive. when they wear out..i am pretty sure i am buying the same things.

my wife is a genius. they were costly..but the mileage i am getting out of them. money well spent. cheap in the long run. i havent even had a flat!
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Lark Bunting » 02 20, 2014 •  [Post 4]

pointysticks wrote:here is my tire story.

i got my truck used in Los Angelos. had a buddy look the truck over, he gave me thumbs up..and i paypal'd a deposit to the seller. wife and i flew down there, did the deal and drove the six hours home. the seller warned me. "the tires are bald"

they were gone!! the drive home..i thought we were gonna have a blow out..but thankfully, no.

the next day, i went to work. my wife trying to be sweet, drove my truck to Costco and bought me some Michelin 4 season radials. the LTX radials or something. in the meantime, at work i am reading reviews on the baddest and gnarliest all terrains i could find. i wanted that rugged look. 90% sure i was buying Coopers!

i get home and i see these tame, smooth, STREET TIRES on the truck..my wife asks.."do you like them?..i wanted to surprise you!"
i outwardly smile and thank her..but internally i was bummed. oh well, i figure i wear these out and get the manly tires of my dreams.

now fast forward. the tires are AWESOME!! i get great mpg. super silent driving on the highway. (be honest, most of your driving is on the street)..i get into the woods or desert..they work GREAT offroad. i climbed up a mountain after fully modded jeeps..just to find cell service. in idaho..i drove thru mudpits..climb wet mountains..barely any wheelspin. big snowstorms..whatever.. move over slow drivers..i'm coming thru!! i have put 40,000 miles on the tires and they are still very much alive. when they wear out..i am pretty sure i am buying the same things.

my wife is a genius. they were costly..but the mileage i am getting out of them. money well spent. cheap in the long run. i havent even had a flat!

These? http://www.walmart.com/ip/15103306?wmls ... 70&veh=sem

If you find the exact model, let me know. I'd be curious to see what you're using.
Lark Bunting

Postby pointysticks » 02 20, 2014 •  [Post 5]

found it. i think it is the newer model. somebody told me it was the same as the LTX you pictured..except only avaliable at costco. i dont know about any truth in that.

here is what it is called at Costco.
Michelin - X® Radial LT2
pointysticks

Postby Mikeha33 » 02 20, 2014 •  [Post 6]

I have the Bridgestone Duellers on my Tundra as well, right now have about 25K on them , and will need new ones by 30K. Pretty dissapointed & frustrating.

On the other hand, my M.I.L. has Michelin radials on her Sequoia, and she has 60K on them, and I was looking at them with my F.I.L., and we think there is another 15K left in them. Pricey, yes, but holy cow, they have worn wonderfully!
Mikeha33

First Name: Michael
Last Name: Halsey

Truck Tires?

Postby 8upbowhunter » 02 20, 2014 •  [Post 7]

My current tires are BFGoodrich Rugged Trail TA that are the factory tires which came on the truck. I currently have 45k on them and looks like I may get another 15k out of them but I do rotate them every oil change. I am impressed with the mileage I am getting out of them being on a F250 diesel 4x4. As far as their performance in snow I can't comment on that but they do well on and off road unless it's deep mud. My next set will be the BF Goodrich KM2's which are an agressive mud grip which is better for the type of terrain I deal with here when off road, I just hope they last as long as my current tire.
8upbowhunter

Postby pointysticks » 02 20, 2014 •  [Post 8]

Mikeha33 wrote:I have the Bridgestone Duellers on my Tundra as well, right now have about 25K on them , and will need new ones by 30K. Pretty dissapointed & frustrating.

On the other hand, my M.I.L. has Michelin radials on her Sequoia, and she has 60K on them, and I was looking at them with my F.I.L., and we think there is another 15K left in them. Pricey, yes, but holy cow, they have worn wonderfully!

Yup. And I am awful at timely tire rotations. Awful. Michelin makes a great product.
pointysticks

Postby Lark Bunting » 02 20, 2014 •  [Post 9]

I am meticulous with tire rotations, since I had the Toyota 2 year maintenance plan. I also like Discount Tire in that they offer free tire rotations.

I'll look into those Michelin's. I was just reading up on them on Tundra Talk and found a couple posts with only 30k miles, but Michelin warrantied the tires. Of course, there could be someone out there that got 40k miles on their Duellers... :lol:
Lark Bunting

Postby Sneaky » 02 20, 2014 •  [Post 10]

I have Wrangler MTR's on my Tundra. The ones with Kevlar. I don't know how long the tread will last, and I don't care. I'll buy more when that happens. I bought them because they are tough, and that they are. I run right over mesquite trees and cactus, and I haven't even had to add air to a tire yet.
Sneaky

First Name: Jared
Last Name: Klein

Postby flystrait » 02 20, 2014 •  [Post 11]

I have ran Toyo's on my last three riggs and my wife's Tundra. I also drive a diesel, I have got around 50-60,000 miles out of mine each time and will stick with them until they are no more. We have some pretty tough conditions up here and they perform very well in all. IMO

P.S make sure you get 10 ply it makes a huge difference in any brand.

http://toyotires.com/tire/pattern/open- ... rain-tires
flystrait

Postby Lark Bunting » 02 20, 2014 •  [Post 12]

flystrait wrote:I have ran Toyo's on my last three riggs and my wife's Tundra. I also drive a diesel, I have got around 50-60,000 miles out of mine each time and will stick with them until they are no more. We have some pretty tough conditions up here and they perform very well in all. IMO

P.S make sure you get 10 ply it makes a huge difference in any brand.

http://toyotires.com/tire/pattern/open- ... rain-tires

Those look nice. I will compare them to the Hankook. Thank you.
Lark Bunting

Postby easeup » 02 20, 2014 •  [Post 13]

8upbowhunter wrote:My current tires are BFGoodrich Rugged Trail AT that are the factory tires which came on the truck. I currently have 45k on them and looks like I may get another 15k out of them but I do rotate them every oil change. I am impressed with the mileage I am getting out of them being on a F250 diesel 4x4. As far as their performance in snow I can't comment on that but they do well on and off road unless it's deep mud. ...............

I thought they were called TAs......anyway been using these tires on our trucks and K5 for 30 years now. rough usage too and loaded a lot with the gooseneck. I keep buying them because of good performance even though they are NOT cheap. my next set will be these too.
easeup

Postby 8upbowhunter » 02 20, 2014 •  [Post 14]

easeup wrote:
8upbowhunter wrote:My current tires are BFGoodrich Rugged Trail AT that are the factory tires which came on the truck. I currently have 45k on them and looks like I may get another 15k out of them but I do rotate them every oil change. I am impressed with the mileage I am getting out of them being on a F250 diesel 4x4. As far as their performance in snow I can't comment on that but they do well on and off road unless it's deep mud. ...............

I thought they were called TAs......anyway been using these tires on our trucks and K5 for 30 years now. rough usage too and loaded a lot with the gooseneck. I keep buying them because of good performance even though they are NOT cheap. my next set will be these too.

Yes they are, I got it backwards lol.
8upbowhunter

Postby jmez » 02 20, 2014 •  [Post 15]

The Hankook's aren't going to last all that well. I haven't had good luck with them.

I have had really good luck with Yokahama Geolander's. I switched to them from Toyo and they have outlasted and outperformed the Toyo tires.
jmez

First Name: jason
Last Name: mez

Postby Lefty » 02 21, 2014 •  [Post 16]

I have been buying used tires, some character always thinks he needs to lift his truck and buy $2,000-$3000 wheels and tires.

As a kid I liked the aggressive tires. but even 8 a ply wore to quick and often too noisy.
When things are real bad I put on chains,. not much other than deep snow, soft mud and stupid stops them.

Im going into stupid country this afternoon with the scouts,.. Chains tow strap and shovels are in the truck
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby cnelk » 02 21, 2014 •  [Post 17]

I use Yokohama Geolander AT-S - 45,000 miles - $1000 a set
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby Lark Bunting » 02 21, 2014 •  [Post 18]

cnelk wrote:I use Yokohama Geolander AT-S - 45,000 miles - $1000 a set

What RIG are those on?
Lark Bunting

Postby cnelk » 02 21, 2014 •  [Post 19]

Lark Bunting wrote:
cnelk wrote:I use Yokohama Geolander AT-S - 45,000 miles - $1000 a set

What RIG are those on?

1997 Chevy Silverado X Cab
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby husky390 » 02 21, 2014 •  [Post 20]

I've used the Hankook Dynapro's on a 96 chevy 1/2 ton, Ford Sportrac, Ford Expedition and a 90 F250. The only complaint I have is they didn't do to well in the snow on my 90 F250 but they are also big and I had 60-70psi in them. The chevy and sportrac are gone but I still have the Expedition and they are awesome in the snow and did well when I was hunting last year. With the crappy roads we have here in CO, I don't think any tire will last long which is why I switched to the Hankooks from BFG A/T's. I couldn't bring myself to spend the extra money. I also had Hankook Mudpro's on an 06 F250 I used to own. Great traction but they did not last long and they were noisy.

And sadly, $1,000 is about right when you buy a decent set of truck tires. "Back in my day, a good set of BFG A/T's cost $500 in 31x10.50-15" :cry:
husky390
Wapiti Hunting - Logistics Consultant

First Name: Dave
Last Name: B

Postby Triplebhunters » 02 22, 2014 •  [Post 21]

Michelin ltx at2, have a set of these only 1200 miles on them, but through the ice, snow, and snow drifts they have been awesome.
Triplebhunters

First Name: Dave