Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Shoulder issues?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Shoulder issues?

Postby Lark Bunting » 02 21, 2014 •  [Post 1]

I've had a bad rotator's cuff for as long as I can remember. I got my first cortisone shot when I was about 12. Youth baseball (pitching) took its toll early on. As I got older I missed the competitive feeling from sports so I took up an adult competitive tennis. I got to a point I was winning most tournaments and was actually thinking of trying for a national ranking. Of course, rotators cuff blew up again and that dream failed. I aggravated it again last winter training for an obstacle run (Tough Mudder) but quickly rehab'd it back to health and competed in June.

Fast forward to three weeks ago when I was working out, curls, and I did horrible damage to my biceps tendon....guess where...the rotator cuff. I haven't been able to draw a bow back since. Back to the rehab exercises and I'm able to do pull ups as of Wednesday this week.

I'm lowering the poundage on my bow a half-full turn and am going to try to shoot tomorrow.

I'm should get through this hunting season then may consider surgery to get things figured out.

We shall see!
Lark Bunting

First Name: Tom
Last Name: S

Re: Shoulder issues?

Postby bnsafe » 02 21, 2014 •  [Post 2]

good luck tom. I know cnelk helped you an hope you get to take advantage of that info. take care
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby pointysticks » 02 21, 2014 •  [Post 3]

me too. typically.

did the damage in a much suckier way..pruning trees with my offset loppers. my loppers are good for 1" branches, so by my math..that means the 1.5" branch is within reason. now put that 1.5" branch, just out of reach with me on my ladder..and i am good to go!!

it got bad. so bad, i couldnt work the radio on my truck. i had to wash my hair one handed.

i learned. did some PT, got the cortisone shot. now i dont do anything by reaching above shoulder height. i sometimes push it and go to far and get sore. i do the exercises and in one week, it is a distant memory.

i've had a good 6 months. no pain. shooting the bow is a joy.

good luck lark!
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby UtPreacher » 02 21, 2014 •  [Post 4]

Get your hands on some of those bands they use for therapy. I had a shoulder reconstruction 4 years ago and still have to work hard to keep in in shape. Those bands really help keep it strong without re-injuring it using weights. Good luck this season hope you recover well and are able to hunt hard!
UtPreacher

First Name: Chris
Last Name: Petersen

Postby Lark Bunting » 02 21, 2014 •  [Post 5]

I will hunt this season. Guaranteed. I've been through this so many times it's ridiculous.
Lark Bunting

Postby jmez » 02 21, 2014 •  [Post 6]

Have you had an MRI? The biceps isn't really part of the rotator cuff.
jmez

First Name: jason
Last Name: mez

Postby Elkduds » 02 21, 2014 •  [Post 7]

2 trips to the shoulder surgeon @ the Olympic Training Center, 1 cortisone injection, 7 weeks of physical therapy since Christmas. Diagnosis, 2 atrophied muscles and torn biceps tendon in right rotator cuff, arthritis in joint. Surgeon says I could have saved the muscles if I had treated them promptly, but the main injury was 30 years ago. So they are DOA, can't be fixed. 2 options: Keep exercising and live w it, or shoulder replacement surgery which will not restore those muscles, only reduce pain. Won't be shooting bows again. So treat your damn shoulder when you injure it. Don't wait :!:
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby Lark Bunting » 02 21, 2014 •  [Post 8]

jmez wrote:Have you had an MRI? The biceps isn't really part of the rotator cuff.

Yes, i have numerous tears but it's always been treatable with PT. The long head of the bicep travels right through the rotator cuff. Straining it can inflame the cuff in general. I haven't been doing the PT excersizes to isolate the surrounding tissues and paid the price.
Lark Bunting

Postby Lark Bunting » 02 21, 2014 •  [Post 9]

Elkduds wrote:2 trips to the shoulder surgeon @ the Olympic Training Center, 1 cortisone injection, 7 weeks of physical therapy since Christmas. Diagnosis, 2 atrophied muscles and torn biceps tendon in right rotator cuff, arthritis in joint. Surgeon says I could have saved the muscles if I had treated them promptly, but the main injury was 30 years ago. So they are DOA, can't be fixed. 2 options: Keep exercising and live w it, or shoulder replacement surgery which will not restore those muscles, only reduce pain. Won't be shooting bows again. So treat your damn shoulder when you injure it. Don't wait :!:

My dad had his bicep (long head) detached at his third surgery. Now, when he flexes his right bicep only the short muscle flexes. He hasn't had much loss of strength but he's at greater risk of dislocation., and it looks funny.
Lark Bunting

Postby jmez » 02 21, 2014 •  [Post 10]

Oh, wasn't aware of that.

You don't want to have a replacement. My boss had one and his shoulder is much better but they won't let him shoot a bow anymore.
jmez

First Name: jason
Last Name: mez

Postby Raven10 » 02 22, 2014 •  [Post 11]

You could also have bone spurs abrading you tendons and cartilage damage from years of hard use. An MRI would really help determine what you are dealing with.
Raven10

First Name: David
Last Name: M

Postby Mikeha33 » 02 24, 2014 •  [Post 12]

I feel your pain, literally, but I don't think mine is a severe tear, as I can still draw and hold my bow for a full solid minute. I tore mine playing rugby about 7 years ago when my hand got wrapped up in a jersey of a guy I was trying to tackle, and opted to not have surgery, just an intense PT regimen. About 3 weeks ago, I was doing weighted dips, and went to low, and felt that familiar pain under my deltoid, at the top of my biceps. I knew it immediately, so backed any rotation flexion or extension exercises, and started the band routine again. It's getting better, but it will always be a bother. I spoke with some old sports medicine buddies of mine, and they didn't recommend surgery, but a pretty strict rehab assignment. Good luck!
Mikeha33

First Name: Michael
Last Name: Halsey

Postby ishy » 02 24, 2014 •  [Post 13]

I remember seeing Pete Sheply rig some contraption that went around his neck and his release was with his teeth. I think he had an Arizona tag and just had to make it work. He ended up getting a great bull with that set up. Pretty inspiring to see him make it happen with a bum shoulder.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby Triplebhunters » 02 25, 2014 •  [Post 14]

Maybe some of you that have had the pt and knowledge of strengthening ones self to prevent injury could start a thread on Building Bow Strength.
Triplebhunters

First Name: Dave

Postby Hardway » 02 25, 2014 •  [Post 15]

Lark bunting try this trick itbhelped.me pjsh through one more season before I had zurgery...one rotator tear, three labral tears and three bone spurs...take the hand you draw with and hold it on your chest then push out with your bow hand when your bow breaks over go to your anchor position
Hardway

First Name: Reed
Last Name: Klearman

Postby Swede » 02 25, 2014 •  [Post 16]

I have been following this thread even though I do not have shoulder issues as you hunters. My shoulder problem is arthritis and gout. All I know is that these battles are long and hard, and we can never declare victory. I know this is not encouraging, but from what I have seen with others, and from what I am dealing with myself, it is just what we have to look forward to.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Elkduds » 02 26, 2014 •  [Post 17]

Since I am fresh off extensive PT, I'll report. This is what they have me doing, so I do not know if it will help or hurt you:

1. Elastic stretch strips, one end knotted around a high door hinge. I face the hinge and stretch the strip w straight arm/low shoulder from hand-above-shoulder to hand touching side of thigh, 3 sets of 20 reps. I turn 90 degrees away from facing hinge and do the same thing w arm going straight out to the side, then straight down to thigh.
2. Stretch strip on doorknob behind my injured shoulder, strap in hand of injured shoulder behind me. Foot on injured side behind, other foot forward in mild lunge position. Hand w cord stretches straight forward while empty hand comes back, like slow motion judo strike.
3. Lie on flat surface w injured arm straight up, above shoulder. Light weight in that hand. Without lifting head or neck, press the weight up and lift shoulderblade off the surface. After 10 reps up and down, hold the weight in the pressed-up position, extend index finger and write the alphabet in the air, block letters about 4-5 inches high.

Afterward, an ice pack feels good :x

Those are the simplest exercises to describe. Last night I tried stretching the band as though drawing a bow, w elbow above shoulder, as though aiming a bow @ hinge where band was held. I suppose you could worsen an injury, so talk to a professional before you try these things.
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby Digit » 03 01, 2014 •  [Post 18]

I am just coming off a major shoulder surgery. they had to rebuild the labrum, and move a chunk of bone and tendon down and reattached it to the shoulder. it is called a laterjet procedure. First thing I asked the doc after surgery was can I shoot my bow again he said with the right exercise and pt I should have no problem shooting by july first. I hope you guys that are having problem get them worked on my dad is no longer able to shoot his bow because he let an injury go too long before getting it looked at.
Digit

First Name: Lyle
Last Name: Freed