Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

gonna lurk only

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

gonna lurk only

Postby bnsafe » 02 28, 2014 •  [Post 1]

while im sure nobody cares rather I lurk or not as i havnt contributed much in info or help, I hope I have at least been friendly an made internet friends here.
I have purposely stayed out of the controversy going on on this forum as I seen it as a business decision from the owner. I didn't agree with the decision, but its not my business an not a big enough deal to get riled up about.
for 2 years I have been on this site multiple times a day. although I havnt contributed much in info I hope I have ask some questions lurkers were thinking. I have learned a ton an have been so impressed by the folks on this site willing to answer questions an put up with a newbie. no question some of the best hunters an people frequent this site. it has been my go to site an my pleasure an honor to consider a lot of you internet friends even though we have never met. we are cut from the same cloth.
however, I have learned that at least 2 members have been banned because of the controversy here. it should have been handled differently from all sides. but what a worthless thing to lose 2 good members over.
I want to say thanks to all who have been internet friends here an I hope to meet you in the woods someday. good luck with all your endeavors.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Re: gonna lurk only

Postby bnsafe » 02 28, 2014 •  [Post 2]

make that 3 of our best members, wow
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby BrentLaBere » 02 28, 2014 •  [Post 3]

Really!? i can think of two that hadn't posted lately and I guess I know why?......I really wish they were still part of the site and looked forward to what they would post. not sure of the third. And I can promise you that this site isnt better from guys like me that are here to learn. No offense to green horns but replacing a veteran hunter willing to teach/share.....just isnt going to happen very often.
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby Swede » 02 28, 2014 •  [Post 4]

I feel terrible now about what has happened. I feel largely responsible even though this is just the opposite of what I was trying to achieve. The post that started the avalanche was supposed to get people to see the value of keeping all great expertise we have available around the campfire. The simple analogy of the stools was designed to show that.
Bnsafe: I hardly use the term "welcome" to describe how I feel about your presence. You and every other person that engages in our campfire discussion, are far more than welcome, as far as I am concerned. "Welcome" in my vocabulary is a neutral term. You are wanted right here! I am not the repository of all elk hunting knowledge. Years ago I learned how to get elk on a fairly regular basis, but there are gaps in my understanding. Still you can learn from me, I I can learn from you. Together we are better hunters than any one of us would otherwise be. That is why lurkers are encouraged to get involved.
I do not think there has ever been any debate on the goals of making this web site, the best elk hunting forum on the internet. Some of us have discussed, and even debated how that should be done. As I stated above, I am saddened about how things have come down in regard to this disagreement. To the full extent I am responsible, I humbly apologize.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby ctdad » 02 28, 2014 •  [Post 5]

My best friend and elk hunting partner is also a member of this forum. We talk every day (admittedly like a couple of 9th grade school girls, but usually about elk hunting in some way) and very little is left unsaid between us . We often disagree about things but it doesn't affect our friendship. We both are entitled to our opinions and we respect each other (even when he is wrong ;) ). I talked to him today about this subject and he made a great observation that I truly hadn't considered much before:

On an internet forum, there is very little context to discussion. He pointed out that as often as he and I disagree about certain things, if we didn't know each other, I would have thoroughly pissed him off on an internet forum. In the real world, I don't think we could have an easier relationship (we aren't a couple, but our wives might disagree some days).

There has to be debate and disagreement for this forum to work. There has to be people with varying levels of experience and knowledge and I think this forum has that (even still tonight). Internet forums ebb and flow and those who leave one forum often circle back around to it eventually if it is the right place for them. I enjoy this forum and also read two others daily as well. They all have their own personality and those can change too but change isn't always bad, even if we think it might be at the time.
ctdad

Postby LckyTylr » 02 28, 2014 •  [Post 6]

Just curious, who did we lose? What thread launched the avalanche? I promise, I have no interest in stirring the pot, I'm only curious to read for myself.
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson