Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Cardio that is easy on your knees?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Cardio that is easy on your knees?

Postby Toby » 03 02, 2014 •  [Post 1]

I have been doing P90X for 8 weeks and have 5 weeks to go, I am happy with the results except for the fact that the Plyometrics and Kenpo are hard on the knees. I know swimming is good cardio with low impact on the joints, but don't have pool access.

What other good cardio exercises are there that are easy on the knees?
Toby

Re: Cardio that is easy on your knees?

Postby ctdad » 03 02, 2014 •  [Post 2]

Biking is decent. Rowing machine too
ctdad

Postby pointysticks » 03 02, 2014 •  [Post 3]

cycling.

i think, not only is it easy on the knees..it is GOOD for the knees. mine always feel looser, more lubricated after a big ride.

maybe it is mental..but i'll take it.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Swede » 03 02, 2014 •  [Post 4]

I have been using a Schwinn stationary bicycle this winter. I get a good cardio workout by just going strong. An added benefit is that my arms are build up for drawing my bow. That it has helped my arms is a real bonus and that was not my main objective.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Toby » 03 03, 2014 •  [Post 5]

I will have it give biking a try and see how it feels on the knees.
Toby

Postby ElkNut1 » 03 03, 2014 •  [Post 6]

Let's see now? For my aching knees it be best for them if I could have someone else do the exercises for me! (grin)

Actually I really like some of the above ideas. One of my biggest gains I receive is carrying the pack with moderate wt. My knees don't seem to complain so much with it.

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Lark Bunting » 03 03, 2014 •  [Post 7]

Toby wrote:I have been doing P90X for 8 weeks and have 5 weeks to go, I am happy with the results except for the fact that the Plyometrics and Kenpo are hard on the knees. I know swimming is good cardio with low impact on the joints, but don't have pool access.

What other good cardio exercises are there that are easy on the knees?

I don't blame P90x for my knee issues but I do blame my form and doing plyometrics (I wish they had gone a little more in depth on proper form). My ITB on both knees got messed up really badly from doing plyo. Back to my improper form...I have discovered a lot about the human body as I've gotten older. The biomechanics of the body working together are amazing. One thing in particular is that I believe my knees got bad only because my hip flexors are weak. I've had excellent results by focusing my efforts on the hip flexors. I am going to do them for at least a couple more weeks before going on any long runs but I have faith.

Regardless, my #1 passion is mountain biking. My knees don't bother me while do it, I get a GREAT cardio workout and my legs get stronger from doing it. The MTB trails are less than a mile from my house and it really doesn't feel like exercise since it's a fun adventure. Plus, I can REALLY push myself while doing it and work on HR recovery.

Another thing I enjoy is jumping rope. It's easy on my knees but I get in a good workout.
Lark Bunting

First Name: Tom
Last Name: S

Postby Lefty » 03 03, 2014 •  [Post 8]

Swimming is easier on the joints.

6 months after having our grand-baby my daughter was still 25 lbs overweight She wasnt riding like she use to and had sold her rodeo horse , and my wifes rider. she got a gym membership and swam an hour to an hour 1/2, 4 and 5 times a week and was fit an trim in six weeks
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Ghost » 03 03, 2014 •  [Post 9]

Why not simply hiking? Last time I was out west before last year, I was 6 years younger and was in what alot of people would call really really good shape, I was running 4.5 miles 3 times a week plus weight training, last year, while I still ran (2 miles 3x miles a week) I did a ton of hiking with a pack on, we would go all day, 3 times a week, most days putting in 10 plus miles with 50 plus pounds in a pack, I had considerably less trouble adapting last year than years in the past.
Ghost

First Name: Cort
Last Name: A

Postby Toby » 03 04, 2014 •  [Post 10]

Great information, thanks for sharing.

Last year I did a lot of hiking during the spring and summer and felt good when I got out West. I didn't do much with a weighted pack, but will add that this year. Our nasty Winter is really hanging on here this year, so it will be a month or so before I can get to hiking.

Lark, I agree with you on the form in Plyometrics being important and imagine that is why my knees are sore. I actually tweaked my right one just under the knee cap, hope it heals.

I have substituted the Plyometrics with 32 minutes of Tabata, incorporating lower impact exercises.
Toby

Postby timberland » 03 04, 2014 •  [Post 11]

Toby, I would think it would be pretty easy to find a hill or two down there. Start out on a road with a light pack for your knees and work up to a 50 lb pack cross country. I found a lot of my weakness was in my knees and ankles and side hilling , stepping over logs, etc. with a heavy pack in the summer really helps when you get on the mountain
timberland

First Name: Barry
Last Name: B

Postby Toby » 03 04, 2014 •  [Post 12]

Timberland, thanks that is exactly what am going to do. In the past I have hiked the hills, but not with a weighted pack. I think that will really help.
Toby

Postby ctdad » 03 04, 2014 •  [Post 13]

I agree hiking with weighted pack is great. I'm in above average shape for a flatlander. Last year I did more hiking with pack than I ever have and it really helped. I'm planning to do a lot more this summer. Not going to start until this winter weather goes away though.
ctdad

Postby timberland » 03 04, 2014 •  [Post 14]

Its pretty steep where I live but one of the guys that went last time didn't have much for hills so he resorted to walking up and down his mound septic system with pack and weighted ankles. He said it helped but I think he was trying to justify his embarrassment :lol:
timberland

First Name: Barry
Last Name: B

Postby Z Barebow » 03 04, 2014 •  [Post 15]

Here is a website that might help.

http://strength.stack52.com/periodic-ta ... exercises/

Neat feature. Click on a exercise in the chart and a youtube video will pop up and show you the proper way to do the exercise.
Z Barebow

First Name: Brian
Last Name: Zastoupil

Postby Lefty » 03 04, 2014 •  [Post 16]

Down hill hiking with a pack is very hard on the knees, weight adds a lot of risk to damaging your knees
Lefty

Postby Toby » 03 04, 2014 •  [Post 17]

Z thanks I will check out the website.

Lefty, I hear ya, it is always harder on my knees going downhill,I will have to be cautious, or just walk up hill :D
Toby

Postby blackwolf » 03 06, 2014 •  [Post 18]

Walking, biking, elliptical, and swimming works for me. I like to mix it up, not so boring.
blackwolf

First Name: Jim
Last Name: Messerschmidt

Postby Lefty » 03 06, 2014 •  [Post 19]

Toby wrote:Z thanks I will check out the website.

Lefty, I hear ya, it is always harder on my knees going downhill,I will have to be cautious, or just walk up hill :D

My wife wrecked both her knees coming down the Tetons with a loaded pack
Lefty