Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Re bucket list...... Moose

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Re bucket list...... Moose

Postby Willie makit » 03 08, 2014 •  [Post 1]

Ok, In Indian summers bucket list thread I see Alaska moose is a very common item on many folks list. I've always wanted to do that myself but my feelings got hurt real bad when I started browsing around looking into the costs for a guided moose hunt. 14 - 22K $, I didn't see an option for an arm, leg or first born child, but wouldn't shocked me after just the first few I looked at.

My question, is there anyone here that has done an Alaska moose hunt on a working mans budget? I am fortunate in the fact I can take off nearly a month from work but lack the funds to toss $20k for a hunt.

Archery is my main interest anymore, so that is what I'm curious about. Since it's on my bucket list and I don't want to live forever, I need to start figuring out how I can make this happen.
Willie makit

First Name: Thomas

Re: Re bucket list...... Moose

Postby Triplebhunters » 03 08, 2014 •  [Post 2]

Cnelk has a thread started about this. I've been watching for it to resurface. And I havnt seen him on line in a while either. I have book by Jason Strahem at work (will post name Monday) that explains a DIY hunt. Jump on you-tube and search for moose float hunts. Hold onto your anxiety it looks like a blast.
Dave
Triplebhunters

First Name: Dave

Postby pointysticks » 03 09, 2014 •  [Post 3]

I dream of this hunt. My brother knows a man that offered to get us to one of his camps for a DIY hunt. Still close to 14k. I don't know if I will ever be able to swing it. But I'm gonna try. If not I don't mind just tagging along for the adventure. But I bet just getting there is. $5k.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Lefty » 03 09, 2014 •  [Post 4]

Shiras moose is on my bucket list Not that the draw chances are very good in the lower 48
Hunt of a life time
I had a student in Utah whose family had drawn 4 tags in 3 years I asked him the secrete to moose hunting His answer( kill them up hill and close to the road :shock:

My daughter drew 1 1/2 years ago $173 for resident I think it is $2200 fro NR One of the best hunts Ive ever been on. We saw about 25 different bulls in 8days of hunting

My daughter was with my wife and grandfather Pic About 2 minutes after the shot.
I wasn't there but I know the adrenalin she was a bit disappointed in herself, for taking a bull after we had passed on 8-10 bulls that were bigger . This day they had already seen 4 bulls,.. My father-in-law couldnt believe how many bulls they saw in 2 hours in locations we glassed from
Her first shot was at 22 yards the second was at 5 yards shooting a 7mm with 160 partisans neither bullet exited First shot went though the heart the 2nd took the arteries off the top of the heart the bull went uphill then back down moving 18o yards before it dropped
Just 80 yards to the road 8-)
2012-11-01 18-22-46 (Small).JPG
2012-11-01 18-22-46 (Small).JPG (82.22 KiB) Viewed 8342 times

All business pulling the bull out of the woods
2012-11-03 09-41-27 (Small).JPG
2012-11-03 09-41-27 (Small).JPG (149.38 KiB) Viewed 8342 times

Redoing the tag when she wasnt shaking so much
2012-11-03 08-56-43 (Small).JPG
2012-11-03 08-56-43 (Small).JPG (137.67 KiB) Viewed 8342 times
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Triplebhunters » 03 09, 2014 •  [Post 5]

Awesome
Triplebhunters

Postby pointysticks » 03 09, 2014 •  [Post 6]

she blasted the moose truck side?

wow.. that is pretty lucky and awesome!! none of my stuff ever dies in a good spot. my elk died in a small creek.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Indian Summer » 03 09, 2014 •  [Post 7]

Mike Strahan has a book called Float Hunting Alaska. Also Pristine Ventures out of Fairbanks sell diy plans and also rents gear and has a talk forum.

Your main cost involved in a serious hunt will be a bush plane. Like anything moose hunting is best if you get away from traveled areas. Alaska residents are well equipped with jet boats etc and rovers are like roads so the best way to have a place to hunt undisturbed is to fly. I'm not sure what kind of moose your dreams are made of. The areas I hope to hunt have a minimum rack size of 50 inches or three brow tines. You'll need to do your homework. If you aren't biting the bullet and writing a big check you'll need to bite the bullet and research. As far as costs: I have a door to door hunt plan for northern Alaska. It includes everything from pre-shipping gear, meat processing, getting me my meat and rack back east. It comes to $6000. The only thing not in there is taxidermy/beetle cleaning.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Willie makit » 03 09, 2014 •  [Post 8]

Oh the wife is not going to be happy when I hit her up about this again, lol. I' was hoping to be less than 7-8k$ for a 3-4 week trip hunt/trip. Less would be better but there Is a time and place to skimp on price, I'll just have to get deeper into my research.

My moose dreams are just to get out away and enjoy the outdoors and try to get one. My buds that lived there several years ago always talked about how moose tasted better than beef and I'd like to see for myself. First thing I got to do is get my first elk, but it's never to early to start planning. The way the years are passing so fast now I don't want to be 70 and say, I shoulda, woulda, coulda.

I found this one. - Alaska quest self guided:
The Fly-in Moose Float Trip normally costs $3,800 to $5,500 per person (a group of 2 to 3 is ideal). This cost includes:
--Roundtrip airfare to Alaska
--Bush pilot
--Raft rental
--Satellite phone
--Hotel
--Topographical maps
--Moose tags and hunting license
--All my experience and tips on moose hunting and the area
--As many days as you want to hunt during the season and more

This looks like my $ range but I just started looking, plus this might be several years old. I found a book " A Complete Guide to Float Hunting Alaska by Larry Bartlett " but it looks to be an older book.
Willie makit

Postby Willie makit » 03 09, 2014 •  [Post 9]

Wow, is super cub reserved with book?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (53 KiB) Viewed 8325 times
Willie makit

Postby Indian Summer » 03 10, 2014 •  [Post 10]

LOL I had heard that Strahan's book was expensive. I guarantee it's full of good stuff but WOW! Larry Bartlett is the guy who owns Pristine Ventures I mentioned above. His DIY hunt plans cost $1800. That estimate you listed is for drive in @ $3500 and some fly in maybe. But it's probably a little old. Maybe missing a thing or two and obviously it can change some depending on where you live. My plan is insane detailed and it's 6K and truly door to door based on 2 hunters coming from Pennsylvania. So if you paid Pristine $1800 for a plan you'd be looking at $7800. Or you could try to save the $1800 and start digging. Finding some info on a good moose hunt is easier than with elk and deer. Not everyone can or wants to hut moose in Alaska every year.

One of these days I WILL do that hunt. Top of my list for sure.

I don't watch many hunting shows these days but I love the McMillan River Adventure's moose hunts. I could watch archery moose hunts on tv all day I think!
Indian Summer

Postby Indian Summer » 03 10, 2014 •  [Post 11]

There is a semi-guided DIY AK moose hunt on eBay right now for 6K. 99% opportunity rate.
Indian Summer

Postby Triplebhunters » 03 10, 2014 •  [Post 12]

That's the book I have. Paid $40 bucks for it on Alaska Outdoors Forum. Did see a thread on there where someone was looking for it.
Check out Papa Bear Adventures just for something to surf.
Joe is yours float, boat, or cabin?
Triplebhunters

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 10, 2014 •  [Post 13]

I have a friend in AK that has asked me a few times to come up and moose hunt with him to repay the favor of me taking him elk hunting when he served a brief stint at the Seattle West Marine. He's back in Alaska now and I believe he still guides for both moose and float fishing trips. At any rate, I sent him a note after I saw this thread and asked where to start for a guy to plan a trip. He told me the link below. Jeff said it's ran by a buddy of his and they offer all types of hunt planning for the big state. May be worth digging into. I think I saw DIY hunt planning under one of the drop downs.

http://outdoorsdirectory.com/
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Lefty » 03 10, 2014 •  [Post 14]

In the late 80' a buddy of mine made an Alaskan trip right before he got married,.. sort of his own Bachelor party. $8,000 was to take care of a 10 day trip. Once he got up their he kept adding days and adding hunts figuring he better do-it-all Then came home weeks later with $12,000 more on the credit card :shock:

Ive been to Alaska once. I should have done more . getting to where you hunt was the major cost in time and money dont limit yourself to just moose
Lefty

Postby Willie makit » 03 10, 2014 •  [Post 15]

I need to do save some $ an find a reliable buddy that I know I can outrun before I get too deep in planing an Alaska trip. I've wasted a bunch of years trying to find someone to just do an elk hunt with. Last year I decided to go solo, but this is stepping it up a couple notches from elk.

I think your right lefty, it probably would be best to allocate extra time and try to get a moose and caribou on one trip. Bear are like snakes, they don't really interest me and I don't Mind them at all I just don't want to bump into either accidentally.

Next year I'll get another week vacation so that will help.
Willie makit

Postby Triplebhunters » 03 11, 2014 •  [Post 16]

Don't forget to add the cost of a couple big bores along with it.
Maybe a .460 s&w?
Triplebhunters

Postby Indian Summer » 03 11, 2014 •  [Post 17]

Triplebhunters wrote:That's the book I have. Paid $40 bucks for it on Alaska Outdoors Forum. Did see a thread on there where someone was looking for it. Joe is yours float, boat, or cabin?

Want to sell that book? I'd love to read it.

My plan is for a fly in on a small lake. No river access. An inflatable on the lake, 2 guys in a 6 man Marmot and some hiking to be done but really just staying put and having confidence in the exact location because I know how it went there for several other hunts.

The Outdoors Directory is insane. It is one of the best forums on the internet. The people are great and the amount of information is off the charts. After all there a so may species and various ways to go about hunting each one. But I'll tell you this: Respect the people on there or you won't get much. One of the very first things they look for is to see if you have already invested your own time to research before coming up with a legitimate question. If you were to jump on and start a thread that just said "Looking for a good place to hunt moose" it would be quiet. The other thing that drives them nuts and I can understand this too is when someone says "I drew this really good tag and need to know where to use it" People like that kill the draw odds just because they read somewhere it's a good tag to get. Then they want.... or more like need some handouts. Do some homework and then look for the little details to help and you can learn how to hunt Alaska on that site.

Float trips can be good. You will see other hunters unless you drew the Koyukuk or something like that. More than once I heard of floaters having airplanes running the rivers too and then dropping down and picking off moose ahead of them in their rafts. No doubt flying is a huge step in the right direction to a good hunt for any bull and especially quality ones. When I make the trip I'll want to know I have a good legit chance at bulls over 60 inches.
Indian Summer

Postby ctdad » 03 11, 2014 •  [Post 18]

Moose hunt is likely in my near future. I know nothing so I guess I need to get busy reading.
ctdad

Postby ishy » 03 12, 2014 •  [Post 19]

I need another job!
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby Indian Summer » 03 12, 2014 •  [Post 20]

Triplebhunters wrote:Don't forget to add the cost of a couple big bores along with it.
Maybe a .460 s&w?

Nah... 12 gauge shotgun with slugs and buckshot.

I hear you ishy. I have had my plan for about 5 years and still have yet to find a way to make it happen. Right now I'm shooting for 2016. I finally have a solid partner which was important.
Indian Summer

Postby ctdad » 03 12, 2014 •  [Post 21]

I talked to my hunting partner this am. We are shooting for 2016 too but we have nothing planned yet.
ctdad

Postby Lefty » 03 12, 2014 •  [Post 22]

Willie makit wrote:I think your right lefty, it probably would be best to allocate extra time and try to get a moose and caribou on one trip. p.

Your there do a saltwater, halibut bottom fishing even if your not a fisherman. Maybe you get some of this where you live but put out a crab pot, dig some clams ( butter and salt). Even for a day along the coast a blackbear, or a big brown, deer
Lefty

Postby Indian Summer » 03 13, 2014 •  [Post 23]

Willie makit wrote: I think your right lefty, it probably would be best to allocate extra time and try to get a moose and caribou on one trip.

That won't be easy. I know I won't see a single caribou where I'll hunt moose. They live in very different habitat. if you really wanted a legitimate chance at both you'd be best served by having the pilot relocate you when he came in to fly the moose out. I think that hunt would be best done north of Kotzebue. Decent moose and great caribou. You won't likely kill bou on float hunts.
Indian Summer

Postby timberland » 03 13, 2014 •  [Post 24]

I agree with I.S. Better off concentrating on one or the other. Had a friend that tried to do both on a float trip. They sacrificed the quality of the moose hunt to try to get to a better 'bou area but still ended up hiking 4+ miles away from the river to get where they could glass for 'bou. They did shoot a couple average caribou, saw hardly any moose, and the whole trip ended up being kind of a cluster^%$%. They had "inside" info and tried to DIY but for the $ they spent they would have been way better off with a semi-guided trip.
timberland

First Name: Barry
Last Name: B

Postby zpd307 » 03 13, 2014 •  [Post 25]

we were looking at a Canada fly in moose trip, 11.5 hour drive for us. $4500.
zpd307

First Name: gary
Last Name: s

Postby ctdad » 03 13, 2014 •  [Post 26]

How is moose hunting different in Canada vs Alaska?
ctdad

Postby timberland » 03 13, 2014 •  [Post 27]

If I remember right we priced a semi guided drive to camp near Thunder Bay Ontario for about $2000. If you really want to go cheap, unguided and stay at a fishing camp. Many keep open into the fall hunting season. Lots of guys I know have gone up to the English River area. The owners of the camps would have decent intel and are always looking for customers in sept.
timberland

First Name: Barry
Last Name: B

Postby zpd307 » 03 13, 2014 •  [Post 28]

barry, could I get some intel on this from you? to help get some pieces of the puzzle put together. I am in if I could do it for 2 grand.
zpd307

First Name: gary
Last Name: s

Postby Triplebhunters » 03 16, 2014 •  [Post 29]

It's been a really busy week havnt had a chance to get back on this one.

Here is a pick out of the book, has a lot of interesting info in it.
IS, Can't sell it, maybe let you borrow it sometime.
Has anyone ordered any videos from alaska game and fish?

Dave
Triplebhunters