Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

first 3D shoot under the belt

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

first 3D shoot under the belt

Postby JJ Overkill » 03 15, 2014 •  [Post 1]

well I finally got my first 3D shoot over with. I didn't do nearly as good as I wanted but I didn't do horrible ether. I finished out in 19th out of 36 people. scored a 309 out of a possible 444. yardage judgment was my biggest down fall. judged everything shorter than it was and I started making a stupid mistake of trying to watch my arrow hit my target. hits were all to the left of the target. I learned a ton today about my shooting all together. the wind was a force to be reckoned with for sure. I started out great and thought I had the course licked (WRONG)

heres the breakdown of my scores.
11s-3 ( on the first 4 targets)
10s-9
8s-17
5s-10
0s-1 (pulled the shot bad) missed the whole target. things fell apart for the next few targets bad. head case for a bit. :oops:

my goal for the next one.
5-11s, 15-10s, 19-8s,3-5s (just to be reasonable) 0-0s. or a score in the 330s
JJ Overkill

First Name: jeremy

Re: first 3D shoot under the belt

Postby ctdad » 03 15, 2014 •  [Post 2]

Nice job. You'll improve a lot and fast knowing how to do it
What was the longest yardage?
ctdad

Postby JJ Overkill » 03 15, 2014 •  [Post 3]

for the men's bow hunter class it was 40yd +/- a couple. mens open class it was 45ish. im shooting in the BH class. my second round improved but the wind was a big factor and holding steady was almost impossible. I would have liked to have shot the second range first, it was open and on top of a ridge. the first course I shot on was in a big draw and blocked the wind.

one thing I learned was, if you shot like you would to kill an animal your not going to score very well. I did that on a couple of the long shots where I couldn't see the rings, one would have been a heart shot and I scored an 8 (barely) on it.
JJ Overkill

Postby ctdad » 03 15, 2014 •  [Post 4]

Aren't you using binos to find your rings? I'd recommend it
ctdad

Postby JJ Overkill » 03 15, 2014 •  [Post 5]

yes I am but on some of the targets I couldn't make them out. to shot up on a few but new targets are on there way for the next round
JJ Overkill

Postby Triplebhunters » 03 16, 2014 •  [Post 6]

3D shoots are a lot of fun. The shoots I go to I don't keep score I just practice shooting at weird angles and stances. Can't wait till they start back up.
Dave
Triplebhunters

First Name: Dave

Postby mtnmutt » 03 16, 2014 •  [Post 7]

Thank you for supporting the Academy Archery Club's 3D shoot.

Congratulations on your first shoot.

I walked the draw course last weekend. Last weekend, some members were out there shooting part of it.

If you became a member of the club, you could shoot the practice 3D for $3 per day. Yearly single membership is $60 for unlimited use of the 4 walking ranges and static range (lighted for after dark shooting). They are great ranges. The 3D range is great for getting ready for hunting.

Good luck with the 2nd leg.
mtnmutt

Postby JJ Overkill » 03 16, 2014 •  [Post 8]

mtmutt, I would join the club if it wasn't 1-1 1/2hr away (depending on traffic) I will however be a every shoot they have. talk about a fun time. im trying to talk my wife into coming with me next time. my sons spring football league is on the same days os the shoots so it might be hard getting her there.
JJ Overkill

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 16, 2014 •  [Post 9]

Way to knock that first event out Jeremy. I'm sure you'll be dialed in more and more for each one!
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby ishy » 03 17, 2014 •  [Post 10]

They are great, but like said you have to choose if you are after score or after the most ethical shot. Hugging that 10 ring doesn't give you the most room for variations/errors in your shot.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby mtnmutt » 03 17, 2014 •  [Post 11]

Yep, 1.5 hr drive is a bit of a trek. We have attracted some members from the Denver area to join.

There is a new range that opened at Cheyenne Mountain State Park last year, south of Colorado Springs. They have a 3D range. There are camping spots in the park. I have not gone since the AFA Range is much closer at 15-20 minutes from my house.

Scores have been posted for the 1st round.
http://www.academyarcheryclub.org/scores.html

Good luck on your 2nd round.
mtnmutt