Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Sunday plans?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Sunday plans?

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 23, 2014 •  [Post 1]

What are you elknuts up to today. Spring is on the way here so yard work for me. If the weathers stays nice, I may take big red out to stretch her legs ;). Anyone wanna go for a ride?

image.jpg
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Sunday plans?

Postby zpd307 » 03 23, 2014 •  [Post 2]

I took the boys and went and looked at a 85 Harley flt. not as nice as I was expecting for the money, plus I couldn't hear it run or test ride it as the battery was bad....
zpd307

First Name: gary
Last Name: s

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 23, 2014 •  [Post 3]

zpd307 wrote:I took the boys and went and looked at a 85 Harley flt. not as nice as I was expecting for the money, plus I couldn't hear it run or test ride it as the battery was bad....

Gary, I know nothing about Harleys so please humor me. What is an flt?
WapitiTalk1

Postby Elkduds » 03 23, 2014 •  [Post 4]

Spring-in-CO weather, so the interminable indoor project of refinishing cabinet doors continues. But I'll ride along in your SS, in my dreams. That horseshoe shifter takes the cake.

Also, limited license apps are due 4/1/14, and I have some decisions to make b4 I push the "Send" button. Probably think on that while painting.
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby Lefty » 03 23, 2014 •  [Post 5]

My wife told me to get her 47' Willys out.
Well it will be ready to drive tomorrow
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Sneaky » 03 23, 2014 •  [Post 6]

Working. We're doing a 50 stage frac. Most I've ever done.
Sneaky

First Name: Jared
Last Name: Klein

Postby Ridgernr » 03 23, 2014 •  [Post 7]

I wifey and I just got back from a atv ride to see how the roads are to get into the elk shed hunting spots next weekend.
She will go out anytime I get the itch , Man I am blessed.
Ridgernr

First Name: Randy

Postby zpd307 » 03 23, 2014 •  [Post 8]

Phantom16 wrote:
zpd307 wrote:I took the boys and went and looked at a 85 Harley flt. not as nice as I was expecting for the money, plus I couldn't hear it run or test ride it as the battery was bad....

Gary, I know nothing about Harleys so please humor me. What is an flt?

rory, a flt is a tour glide. predecessor to a road glide. something I wish I would have bought when I had the chance, but the wife wanted a road king.... btw, I cant tell from the front. 68/69? guessing 68. I had a 68 Malibu hard top and convertible. both projects.... both gone. please tell about your gorgeous ride!
zpd307

Postby pointysticks » 03 23, 2014 •  [Post 9]

knocking out a few honey do's

never ever buy NETAFIM irrigation stuff for your garden. my system clogged. i tore it out yesterday, which was an awful job. roots trapped everything.

today, i put in regular drip irrigation. done. i am beaten down tired.

next sat is our turkey opener. i needed to get it done, this weekend.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 23, 2014 •  [Post 10]

Good eye Gary. 68, first year of a more rounded body style. Man them big American made bikes have got to be the coolest things in the world. I gawk at them every time they rumble by. Hope you find what you're looking for.
WapitiTalk1

Postby zpd307 » 03 24, 2014 •  [Post 11]

Phantom16 wrote:Good eye Gary. 68, first year of a more rounded body style. Man them big American made bikes have got to be the coolest things in the world. I gawk at them every time they rumble by. Hope you find what you're looking for.

rory, my 68 was my first muscle as a 20 year old. it was a barn find from an old farmer. it only had a 307, but oh well, it was a v-8! I bought the convertible as a basket case off of ebay. I sold them in anticipation of our first born 9 years ago.... coke bottle chevelles still hold a spot in my heart. now I have a 87 buick turbo t in storage that the wife wont let me sell, too much emotional connection. it also needs a lot of work. I will admit, Harleys are the American icon, for better or worse. I had the cash in had, but as a seller, he severely dropped the ball.... I would still like to see more of that 68 you have! Muncie or th400 behind that 396?
zpd307

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 24, 2014 •  [Post 12]

If I must Gary :D The old girl was virtually a rust bucket when I got her. I actually sold my fishing boat to complete the restoration. When I bought the 68, the only thing that was really done, and done right, was the engine.. Although I've kept the 396 logos in and out, the legs on the old horse are powered by a .30 bored over 73 454 (68's didn't have a 454 option). I replaced the B&M ratchet shifter with the old factory horseshoe. Edelbrock semi high rise, Hedman headers, 750 holley, crane competition cam, TH 350 w/shift kit and 2800 stall converter, and crane roller rockers. Disc brakes in front, 4 core radiator, gear reduction starter, HO water pump, 100% new front end, shocks, and the centerlines wheels and TA rubber. The body has been pretty much torn apart and fixed or replaced. Floorpan, quarters, skins, some glass, and the inside was gutted and updated with after market vinyl (buckets, front/rear door panels, carpet). Honestly, I thought the coolest thing on the car when I bought her was the factory, in dash roller cam which I believe was only offered on the 68s. Here's a few pics after my body/paint guy got done with the old rust bucket. As you know, the hood stripes didn't come out till 70 but Shawn (Ressurrection Auto Body and Paint) talked me into the custom/half hood black/red flake pearl essence painted stripes on the bow.. They turned out pretty darn good. Come hunt with me sometime and I'll pick you up at the Seattle airport in the old red beast.

I'd love to get a big bike one day. I have Suzuki DRZ-400 I picked up last year for hunting the gated roads in ID but it's not a street bike
Attachments
Photo235.jpg
Photo235.jpg (67.03 KiB) Viewed 4528 times
100_0665.JPG
100_0675.JPG
100_0671.JPG
WapitiTalk1

Postby zpd307 » 03 24, 2014 •  [Post 13]

Phantom16 wrote:If I must Gary :D The old girl was virtually a rust bucket when I got her. I actually sold my fishing boat to complete the restoration. When I bought the 68, the only thing that was really done, and done right, was the engine.. Although I've kept the 396 logos in and out, the legs on the old horse are powered by a .30 bored over 73 454 (68's didn't have a 454 option). I replaced the B&M ratchet shifter with the old factory horseshoe. Edelbrock semi high rise, Hedman headers, 750 holley, crane competition cam, TH 350 w/shift kit and 2800 stall converter, and crane roller rockers. Disc brakes in front, 4 core radiator, gear reduction starter, HO water pump, 100% new front end, shocks, and the centerlines wheels and TA rubber. The body has been pretty much torn apart and fixed or replaced. Floorpan, quarters, skins, some glass, and the inside was gutted and updated with after market vinyl (buckets, front/rear door panels, carpet). Honestly, I thought the coolest thing on the car when I bought her was the factory, in dash roller cam which I believe was only offered on the 68s. Here's a few pics after my body/paint guy got done with the old rust bucket. As you know, the hood stripes didn't come out till 70 but Shawn (Ressurrection Auto Body and Paint) talked me into the custom/half hood black/red flake pearl essence painted stripes on the bow.. They turned out pretty darn good. Come hunt with me sometime and I'll pick you up at the Seattle airport in the old red beast.

I'd love to get a big bike one day. I have Suzuki DRZ-400 I picked up last year for hunting the gated roads in ID but it's not a street bike

drooling.... thank you! I know what my 2015 plans are! Roosevelt elk it is! can I drive it?
on a side note, its amazing what an argument you can start when talking about Harleys these days.... :(
zpd307

Postby zpd307 » 03 25, 2014 •  [Post 14]

so rory, am I getting drawn in in 15, or do I have to build pref points?
zpd307

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 27, 2014 •  [Post 15]

zpd307 wrote:so rory, am I getting drawn in in 15, or do I have to build pref points?

Gary, WA is OTC for many pretty decent areas that will give a guy a chance at a roosey, but, the archery seasons here suck pond water through a clogged straw so I spend the majority of my hunting vaca in ID or MT for the past three years. I may spend a total of a week hunting in WA that encompass a few long weekends. Maybe we could figure something out for one of the "good" states in the season(s) to come. Hunting ID this SEP as I'm not ready to give up on a certain area I've had the pleasure of meeting some very nice, and pretty large, hooved friends. It's thick, steep, thick, and steep but the bulls area there. Talk soon. RJ

Oh....sure you can drive the old red rust bucket.. You just have to explain to the officer why you felt the need to race the little fart exhaust Mazda as you left SeaTac airport. Hopefully the shield in your billfold will get you off with a warning :)
WapitiTalk1

Postby zpd307 » 03 28, 2014 •  [Post 16]

:D
zpd307