Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Ran into an old friend

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Ran into an old friend

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 29, 2014 •  [Post 1]

So, I received a PM over on AT about a week and a half ago. It started off something like "I don't know if you are who I think you might be"........ Turns out, it was a guy I hunted a couple of years with in the late 80's. When I came back in Uncle Sam's finest to finish what I started 4+ years earlier (did a 3 year Army stint then got out in the early 80s), I was befriended by a guy who worked on Ft Lewis that knew the WA hunting areas. We hunted together a few years and after I completed a one year Korea tour, and, he retired from Uncle Sam in 1995 (if I remember correctly) we lost contact. It seems Jerry was digging around on the internet for some info on mountain bikes and trailers and saw where a Phantom16 had posted up a few comments. Upon further research on some of my other posts/threads, he noticed my initials were RJ, I had retired from the Army, and at some point, lived in Montana. That's what prompted his PM. We've talked a handful of times since then and are gonna try and meet for a hunt in WA this fall. Small world sometimes. The moral of the story? Post to a lot of threads and old friends will find you :D He's now an Elknut forum member and if you see him poking his head up now and then, please say hello to my old/new friend Jerry. Goes by the handle Jerry Yong. He's a good cat and has been hunting big stinky elk for many years.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Ran into an old friend

Postby JerryYong » 03 29, 2014 •  [Post 2]

"Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then"! Bob Seger lyrics, but pretty much sums up the way I'm feeling after lurking the Elknut site the past week or so and seeing the huge amount of knowledge that this sites members have as well as the incredible amount of knowledge in Pauls DVDs and Playbook. Refreshing to click on any thread of interest on this site and see members that are truly willing to provide their time, knowledge and expertise without the "flame thrower" posts that are prevalent on so many other internet sites. And Rory: Let's just keep those "bowhunting and bugling for elk" classes we presented at Fort Lewis 27 years ago or so to ourselves!
JerryYong

First Name: Jerry
Last Name: K

Postby zpd307 » 03 29, 2014 •  [Post 3]

welcome! I like the no flame throwing theme on this site as well ;)
zpd307

First Name: gary
Last Name: s

Postby ElkNut1 » 03 30, 2014 •  [Post 4]

Rory, very cool! Yes it's a small world sometimes! (grin) It's great to have you here Jerry, you need to hit ole Rory up now & have him take you out on an elk hunt, he'd be a blast to hunt with! (grin)

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby JerryYong » 03 30, 2014 •  [Post 5]

Thanks Paul. Rory's got a couple years on me with your calling and hunting info so I intend to catch up as fast as I can before we get together again this fall. He's a great guy and apparently still hasn't been able to overcome his big bull elk disease!
JerryYong

First Name: Jerry
Last Name: K

Postby Washington Wapiti » 04 01, 2014 •  [Post 6]

Wow, the universe works in mysterious ways! I think we should hear some bowhunting and elk calling classes stories of yesteryear. :D Welcome Jerry!
Washington Wapiti

First Name: SHAWN

Postby Swede » 04 01, 2014 •  [Post 7]

It is great to have you in camp here Jerry. It is good to know RJ has at least one friend that will admit it. Be careful not to sound like RJ. Your wife will say, "lower your voice. People might hear you." :lol:
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 01, 2014 •  [Post 8]

Swede wrote:It is great to have you in camp here Jerry. It is good to know RJ has at least one friend that will admit it. Be careful not to sound like RJ. Your wife will say, "lower your voice. People might hear you." :lol:

That is completely untrue. I have tons of friends.. There's that Jerry guy..........., oh and Jerry..................mmmmm, there's Jerry............and......... I'm going home to see if my dog likes me, that would make two :?
WapitiTalk1

Postby Swede » 04 01, 2014 •  [Post 9]

I wonder how many of us have had our wife say, "lower your voice. People may hear you", or something similar? I hear that when I say something like "why would a pretty young lady like that, dye her hair GREEN?" or "No wonder he is unemployed. He must be showing half his crack." I know I show my age with comments like that. :D
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 01, 2014 •  [Post 10]

Swede wrote:I wonder how many of us have had our wife say, "lower your voice. People may hear you", or something similar? I hear that when I say something like "why would a pretty young lady like that, dye her hair GREEN?" or "No wonder he is unemployed. He must be showing half his crack." I know I show my age with comments like that. :D

No doubt. Only I usually get the "SSSSHHHHHH" which is louder than what I originally said about the woman behind us being crossed eyed as a bat :D
WapitiTalk1