Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Why Do You Hunt?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Why Do You Hunt?

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 29, 2014 •  [Post 1]

So we're meat eaters....... Isn't it much less expensive to put meat in the freezer for the year by buying beef, pork, chicken, etc., than to hunt? We spend a lot of time, energy, and money on this thing called hunting (tags, gear, scouting trips, shooting practice, map research, forum interaction, etc.) which we could put into many other endeavors in our lives. Why do you choose to involve yourself in this thing called "hunting" year after year.

For me, it's a stark reminder of where we came from and what we once were (hunters/gatherers). Much of society has lost this. In today's world, most people don't seem to remember that the meat we eat comes from a once living animal. In 2014, it seems that a phrase like "for the thrill of the chase" raises curious eyebrows and is met with apprehension in many situations. I grew up in NW MT where the schools would oftentimes shut down the first week of rifle season so fathers and sons could hunt for the family. Back then, it was accepted and understood that elk and venison were a significant part of a family food source for the following year. Fall is a time to hunt and to be in the elk woods. As a hunter, I see true reality 1000% more in the woods than I do at any other time during my year. Sitting on a high ridge, after a two hour hike in the dark, and hearing the bugle of the elk rise up through the draw is my reality and my passion. Seeing a mountain lion walking towards me on a gated road unaware of my presence fills my soul like nothing else. My days in the forest seem to relinquish me of all anxiety from the rigors of work and burdens of society. I sleep better, on the mountain, in a tent and sleeping bag than I would in any 5 star hotel. Food, any food, seems to taste better and have more meaning after an 8 mile day. I hunt because that's who I am and what I love.

Why do you hunt?
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Why Do You Hunt?

Postby Swede » 03 29, 2014 •  [Post 2]

Phantom16 wrote: I hunt because that's who I am and what I love.

Well said RJ. I think you explained things well enough for me, so I will just say, ditto.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby zpd307 » 03 29, 2014 •  [Post 3]

X3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
zpd307

First Name: gary
Last Name: s

Postby Lefty » 03 30, 2014 •  [Post 4]

Hunting is so many things to me.

It is often truly spiritual when Im alone