Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

I have a dream :-)

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

I have a dream :-)

Postby Indian Summer » 04 04, 2014 •  [Post 1]

Last night I had a dream. My brother and I were hiking on a game trail when all of the sudden our noses were overcome with the smell of elk. Next thing I knew we were looking at an elk bed soaked with fresh elk urine. Most likely it was a bull because the pee was dead center in the bed instead of off to one side. It was so fresh it was still in a small puddle. The funny part is I had been to this exact spot before and knew it well. But... only in my dreams. I've never actually seen the place but have had a dream or two in the past where I hunted the same place. I find it odd that instead of dreaming about somewhere I actually knew... it was a place I only hunt in my dreams. It's a heck of a place to hunt thanks to my subconscious. lol That was the first time though that I actually recall the distinct heavy odor of elk in the dream. I loved it! I wish that at some point in these dreams I'd pull out my GPS so I could find this dang spot! :D

Have you ever had a dream where you were in the mountains doing what we do? Talk about elk on the brain huh!
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Re: I have a dream :-)

Postby timberland » 04 04, 2014 •  [Post 2]

I think this is proof there IS a God and it is just a peak at what your heaven will be like. Don't try to find the gps cords, in my experiences the dreams are better than the reality :)
timberland

First Name: Barry
Last Name: B

Postby Fridaythe13th » 04 04, 2014 •  [Post 3]

I hope the dream come true. I love it when that happen's
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby Swede » 04 04, 2014 •  [Post 4]

I have had a few dreams of big bull elk. In the dream I was hunting, but like you I never got one.
The subconscious is tricky. It will try to fit what should be there with what we are experiencing. In other words, you probably were smelling something while you slept.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby pointysticks » 04 04, 2014 •  [Post 5]

Fridaythe13th wrote:I hope the dream come true. I love it when that happen's

Me too! But my dream was totally different. :)
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 04, 2014 •  [Post 6]

Indian Summer wrote:Last night I had a dream.

Was it a dream where you see yourself standing in sort of sun-god robes on a pyramid with a thousand naked women screaming and throwing little pickles at you? No? Why is it I'm the only one who ever has that dream :? Sorry, a quote from an old comedy movie called Real Genius with Val Kilmer (I think it was his first movie ever).

I always seem to wake up during a good elk hunting dream before I release an arrow for some reason. Lots of bugling action, bulls coming in, partner or myself drawing back, etc., but "bing", I'm awake before any shot gets taken... :roll:
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Lark Bunting » 04 04, 2014 •  [Post 7]

I am a big believer in visualization. I was raised to visualize an event until it was natural, mainly in sports.

I do the same thing as an adult and every night, the last thing I do before going to sleep is visualize what my son and I are going to do this year while elk hunting. This of course bring numerous dreams about elk hunting. I'm hoping It will have a positive outcome this fall.
Lark Bunting

First Name: Tom
Last Name: S

Postby Indian Summer » 04 05, 2014 •  [Post 8]

Did you ever have one of those dreams where someone or something is chasing you. You run & run but they are always right there just a few steps behind. My ideal dream would be where that something was a herd bull and at some point I look down to find my bow in my hand and turn around and turn the tables and drop him in his tracks.

Swede... is that another one of your fart jokes? :roll:
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Swede » 04 05, 2014 •  [Post 9]

Hmmmmm, Way it real or was it just a dream, or was it a joke? :lol:
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Ghost » 04 07, 2014 •  [Post 10]

I have a recurring dream about 4 treestand locations, in my dreams every time I hunt one of these stands there are big bucks every where but I just cant seal the deal. Ive had the dream so often I know the stand locations by heart, one is off a switch back in the mountains at a saddle, another is in a finger of trees that run through a field with a ranch house on the up hill side and a pond down below it, still another is behind a billboard sign off a major road and the last one is a ravine in between 2 housing areas. Maybe I should really start looking for these areas ;)
Ghost

First Name: Cort
Last Name: A

Postby LckyTylr » 04 07, 2014 •  [Post 11]

Okay, pardon the hijacking but . . . as long as we are close to the subject . . . I have had a few instances of dejavu. In dreams and in just regular daydreams when I should have been working. I'll let my subconscious wander and I'll have a VERY Vivid scene play through my mind. For a long time, these would just happen and I wouldn't notice them . . . but a few weeks or months later, the exact same scene would play out in real life. It's often only for a few seconds, maybe 5 at most . . . but IDENTICAL to what had played through my mind previously. It always scares me, every time I wonder "how does this keep happening". Anyway, a few months ago I had this happen to me where the scene would start to play in my head and for the first time I thought "I'm going to see this again in the future" . . . so I mentally played it out over and over again in my head so I could try to remember every detail. It was just a silly little scene, 2 of my coworkers and I sitting in a meeting discussing a particular change order that hadn't happened yet. About 3 weeks later, the scene played out exactly as I remembered it the first time. I was awestruck, just sat there staring at my coworkers wondering "how in the WORLD does this keep happening to me?".

So . . . getting to the point. I had a scene play through a few weeks ago just as I was trying to fall asleep and it woke me up because it was, again, so vivid that I took notice. I was in the elk woods in a really nasty blowdown area of really dark timber that was just completely churned up from Elk traffic. It was obviously a bedding area from the sign. I didn't visualize a bugle, but I had a feeling that I'd just heard a bunch of them from an excited bull that went silent on his final approach. He came in, I drew and as he was only a few steps from a window, my dog farted and I snapped out of it. :lol: Very funny, but also the truth. I haven't had that scene come back again to see what happened, but I have a good feeling about it.

On the other hand, I called in a huge 6 point to within archery range 3 times one morning last year and never got a clear shot on him . . . so maybe it's more of the same for me this next season. I hope I get to stick one!!!
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson

Postby ericleep » 04 08, 2014 •  [Post 12]

I had one last fall. It was the first season I took off in six years because I moved overseas for work. I remember being in a canyon we hunt and drawing down on a cow. Right as I am about ready to shoot my cousin shoots her out from under me. I was between him and her and I was just freaked out because I thought I was alone. Funny thing is, I would put money on that situation playing out exactly like that in real life. He is always snaking kills from me.

Even though the hunt wasn't a "dream" ending, I woke up and realized I wouldn't be hunting and was depressed the entire day.
ericleep

First Name: Eric
Last Name: Phillips