Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Elk Hunting On-line Fitness Plans

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Elk Hunting On-line Fitness Plans

Postby Triplebhunters » 04 05, 2014 •  [Post 1]

As we all know the better shape we are in fitness wise determines how hard (easy) we are able to hunt. Fitness is something that most of us struggle with, whether our priorities are our children, twelve hour work days, etc.

It's April, that's five months till Archery season opens, time to motivate, time to find that drive to get into Elk Shape.

Most of us would agree that number one exercise is carrying a loaded pack! Additionally many have posted many exercises as well. Burpees, cleans, squats, lunges,etc.

Post up your plans, your daily routines, advise, informative web site, motivation speeches, etc.
Triplebhunters

First Name: Dave

Re: Elk Hunting On-line Fitness Plans

Postby Triplebhunters » 04 05, 2014 •  [Post 2]

Triplebhunters

Postby Lefty » 04 05, 2014 •  [Post 3]

Im still trying to build strength in my hip since the surgery last May 30th.
I stretch everyday to relieve back pain.
My program will be the same , mountain day hikes and ATV rides this summer
I started shooting, hoping to get up to 65 lb for September
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Triplebhunters » 04 10, 2014 •  [Post 4]

Started on the tread mill march 25. This week has been 3.1 miles in 42 min 42 min and 39 min. With using incline as part of my cool down mode. Totaling 50 min on tread mill each day.
Triplebhunters

Postby Elkonthebrain » 04 10, 2014 •  [Post 5]

I've been doing crossfit for about three months now. I would highly recommend it. It's a good work out that has a competitive edge to it.
Elkonthebrain

Postby zpd307 » 04 10, 2014 •  [Post 6]

dave, when is the big race?
zpd307

First Name: gary
Last Name: s

Postby BrentLaBere » 04 11, 2014 •  [Post 7]

The last two years, and over the winter months I tend to not worry about "mountain shape" until the summer months. I pick up the intensity with cardio with hill sprints and swimming. Really trying to increase my lung capacity.
Right now I am still in a transformation period of cutting body fat so I am working out accordingly. 20 minute sessions in the morning and evening with cardo and weight training in the morning as well. Nothing to strenuous but really watching my macros.
I dont like long periods of cardio due to some of it having an effect on my muscle gains for the season ahead. I also find with sprinting/swimming that it helps my long distance or mile time more than if you train for it all the time. But, that is just what I have found......each person responds differently to different resistance.
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby Triplebhunters » 04 11, 2014 •  [Post 8]

zpd307 wrote:dave, when is the big race?

September 12th till end of season.
There is a mud run in July I may sign up for, and I just signed up for a 6K in Salamanca Ny may 3. I know I'm going to get my butt kicked, but it's giving me more of an insentive to work out harder. Cardio is increasing pretty good, and the fat is melting off.
3.1 in 37'14" last night. A lot less slow down periods.
Going to a dam this weekend and do some hill sprints.

http://heartrateup.com/alleganyadventurerun.html

Elkonthebrain wrote:I've been doing crossfit for about three months now. I would highly recommend it. It's a good work out that has a competitive edge to it.

That's a good workout, what do you reccomend for core? I have my wife talked into learning to coach me, (push me). Going to add more to my workout in May.

Did some burpees and mountain climbers last weekend and couldn't move my wrist for thre days. Did more last night and went a lot smoother.
Triplebhunters

Postby Elkonthebrain » 04 11, 2014 •  [Post 9]

I'm not sure what the best core workouts are. I know we do a lot of planks and plank variations. Spiderman planks and grasshoppers. For hiking in the mountains I know bounding lunges and stair laps really help me. Of course hiking in the mountains is the best.
Elkonthebrain

Postby jmez » 04 13, 2014 •  [Post 10]

A lot of core exercises you can do at home. One thing you want to do is mix them up.

Regular old situps are still good, stay away from crunches, just do sit ups
V ups- these are a killer, excellent exercise
Plank holds
Bicycles
Mason twists, with or without weight
Crunchie Frogs
L sits
Leg crunches

If you have a bar and are able:
Knees to elbows
Toes to bar, these really kick things up a notch

We generally do an exclusive ab/core workout once a week in a 10 min Every Mintute on the minute format. Pick a couple, a few, ten of these, whatever you wish. Do each for a minute, on the next minute switch, and continue for 10-15 minutes. You will feel it the rest of the week. Try to pick a pace that allows you to continue each exercise for the full minute. You don't want to tear into it, go like gangbusters for 15 seconds and then have to lay there for 45 recovering. Also, if you can't do one of the exercises then scale it back so that you can, for instance: if you can't complete a V up bend your knees and then raise as far as you can, etc.

Again, you want to try to structure the workout so you work the entire time. You may need to start with 30 seconds and work your way up.

If you life weights, squats both front and back are good core exercises as are power or hang cleans. All really good full body workouts.

Another really good core exercise is to hike outside on uneven terrain with a weighted pack. The more hills and uneven the better. Your core is what supports and stabilizes that pack.
jmez

First Name: jason
Last Name: mez

Postby Triplebhunters » 04 25, 2014 •  [Post 11]

I do hope everyone has started exercising by now. Sept is getting here really quick. I'm mixing a lot of exercises with run jog. Trying to crank up my vo2max.
Triplebhunters

Postby Z Barebow » 04 28, 2014 •  [Post 12]

I haven't been on the forum in a while.

I am preparing for a trail run in June, but I live on the flatlands. I have been hiking the local flood dike with my weighted pack to build quad strength. I do a routine I call "reversors". Basically walk up the hill backwards with your pack and then walk back down normally. Repeat. That is it. You will feel your quads burn in short order.

Someone mentioned planks. A variation I do is called mountain climbers. You need an exercise ball and that is it. Assume the front plank position with your arms/elbows on the ball. High step each knee forward in alternating motion, knee touching the ball. Do a couple set of 15 for a change of pace.

You are a part time hunter chasing a full time elk who hikes everyday. Time to narrow the playing field.
Z Barebow

First Name: Brian
Last Name: Zastoupil

Postby pointysticks » 04 28, 2014 •  [Post 13]

Doing 3 mile jogs now. Feeling pretty good. I am going to start lifting weights now.

Mountain biking still feels like it is for fun. But there is no denying the workout.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby BrentLaBere » 04 29, 2014 •  [Post 14]

June is the start time of turning it up. 3 months of hard training... Hill sprints are coming in and I have a new route pegged out for hiking with my pack. I want to test myself on time and distance to see what I can take. I have heard of others training with packs and want to give it a go.
I will be doing a different split for my weight training and extending my long distance running to 3 and 4 miles. Still currently at 2-2.5m.
3 weeks left of my program I am running now so I am trying to finish strong and set myself up for the summer months.
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby Triplebhunters » 04 29, 2014 •  [Post 15]

" it's not the mountains we conquer, but ourselves"
~ Sir Edmund Hillary

Read this quote a bit ago, and had to analyze the ? out of it. I guess I've been thinking this backwards.

So I was on the treadmill the other day. I usually do a run walk program, and I noticed that sometimes when I'm scheduled to walk I want to keep running. Building endurance one step at a time.
Triplebhunters

Postby zpd307 » 04 29, 2014 •  [Post 16]

sweet dave! I thought you were already signed up for the mud run....
zpd307

Postby Triplebhunters » 04 30, 2014 •  [Post 17]

Yes mud run in July. I have a 6 K adventure run this weekend (mostly hills), my bodies not prepped for it but I figure if I throw these in it will give me xtra push to increase my cardio. Just to throw in a bit of optimism I shooting for third in my age class.
Triplebhunters

Postby Triplebhunters » 05 04, 2014 •  [Post 18]

Just ran my first race ever yesterday. A 6k trail race. Yep I was beat up pretty well. I can see how this is going to help climbing the Rockies come sept. So I am pushing forward looking for another race that fits my schedule.
Definaty reccomend everyone looking for trail races in your area.
Triplebhunters

Postby zpd307 » 05 04, 2014 •  [Post 19]

hooray! congrats on the finish, old man :D
zpd307

Postby Triplebhunters » 05 04, 2014 •  [Post 20]

Thanks, had a good time. Been surfing more today.
Triplebhunters

Postby Elkonthebrain » 05 04, 2014 •  [Post 21]

Did you make it in the top three like you hoped?
Elkonthebrain