Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Detroit River Walleyes

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Detroit River Walleyes

Postby Ghost » 04 21, 2014 •  [Post 1]

Hit the Detroit river for some walleye fishing, dont feel like messing around to get the pictures small enough to put up here, but for those of you that like to walleye fish, heres the link http://www.huntingpa.com/forums/ubbthre ... ost3322207
Ghost

First Name: Cort
Last Name: A

Re: Detroit River Walleyes

Postby Indian Summer » 04 21, 2014 •  [Post 2]

I've always wanted to try that. I've seen some 16 pounders out of there this time of year and huge numbers. Thanks for sharing!
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Ghost » 04 22, 2014 •  [Post 3]

There was a tournament going on while we were there, some of the 5 fish limits were over 40lbs,
Ghost

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 22, 2014 •  [Post 4]

I was gonna ask when I first saw your thread if there was a tourney going on with all the boats out. Those are some nice walleyes.. congrats!
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Ghost » 04 23, 2014 •  [Post 5]

Actually there might have been 2 boats in that whole flotilla that were in the tournament, thats the way it is, but it works really well, every one is vertical jigging and drifting at the same speed, heck most of the time your bsing with a boat 20 feet away.

Joe Im surprised given your location you havent hit that up yet, it cant be more than 4 hours for you. That was my second trip, the other time, we fished for 3 days and I had one 17"ish fish a day whether I needed it or not ;) Next year we'll go for 4 days, way to far to drive for only 2.5 days of fishing.
Ghost

Postby Z Barebow » 04 28, 2014 •  [Post 6]

I used to fish the Mississippi below lock and dam #3 at Red Wing. The boats were stacked just like that in the spring. Just like you state, as long as everyone slips downstream, no problems. But if you want to become enemy #1, drop anchor in the drift pattern. (Typically out of state folks)

But we always caught our bigger fish downstream and away from the dam crowd.
Z Barebow

First Name: Brian
Last Name: Zastoupil