Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

my brother needs to get married..before i go broke.

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

my brother needs to get married..before i go broke.

Postby pointysticks » 05 08, 2014 •  [Post 1]

my brother has no rules. no house payment, no wife, no kids..no bills.

he is always calling me with "hey, we should do this..." he hunts all the time, fishes all the time. he is in the middle of a 15 year house remodel. he tore out his interior and ran out of steam. no carpet..cement floors. no furniture. just a bed, a TV, a couple of gun safes. he has piles of construction stuff. brand new toilets, brand new vanity's..brand new couches..i want to slap him in the back of the head to finish. he did get a new AC/heater installed..and all new windows. oh, he has a new fridge and wine fridge in the middle of a gutted kitchen.

he just texted me about our next adventure. fly in into minnapollis..rent a car. drive into canada..and catch walleye and northerns for a week. you should have seen my wife's eyerolling. they never stopped spinning!!

my brother "has game" with the ladies. despite the gutted home. he dates the most stunning women. when he picks me up at the airport..i can usually find his latest GF by following the trail of lingering perfume..or spotting trendiest high heels and clothing. i can pick them out from baggage claim...

the kid cracks me up..

now i love my life..i love my wife. but my brother is gonna get me into trouble. elk hunts, deer hunts..now fishing in canada. texas hunts..AZ hunts. holy crap..

at least this fishing trip, my wife is interested in going. horray!!

why cant he date and marry a woman with a ranch in montana? :D

are all your siblings married?
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Re: my brother needs to get married..before i go broke.

Postby husky390 » 05 08, 2014 •  [Post 2]

Younger brother? Mine is three years younger than me and does the same thing. At least he's married so he's a little more grounded but before he was always coming up with schemes to go do something. When I lived in Phoenix, he conned me into buying an OTC 2nd season turkey tag in Kaibab. That's a 7 hour trip, one way pulling a toy hauler. I told him we can buy a turkey and enough beer at the grocery store that would last a month for the same amount of money we'd spend on fuel. He didn't care, he just wanted to go. We had a great time blaring Pantera while drinking beer in front of a bonfire. If the Mrs. is okay with it and you have the coin to do it, I'd say go for it.

BTW, when are you going? Maybe I can con my brother into doing the same thing. :)
husky390
Wapiti Hunting - Logistics Consultant

First Name: Dave
Last Name: B

Postby BrentLaBere » 05 09, 2014 •  [Post 3]

Not married, ......yet. girl friend of 3 years and some change. glad she wont read that. Speaking of fishing in Canada. I am heading to Sioux Narrows, Ontario next Thursday for the walleye opener! Last time I was up there I caught this dude
Attachments
spring 10 058 - Copy.jpg
spring 10 058 - Copy.jpg (41.99 KiB) Viewed 6730 times
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby Fridaythe13th » 05 09, 2014 •  [Post 4]

not to make you more broke. We did the fly-in-fishing trip with 6 of us. What a trip! we caught walleye's till we got sick of it and had to go trolling for big northern's. Pickle lake outpost is the name Pete Johnson was the guide and owner. Like I said we caught 75 -150 walleyes per person, per day most were 15" - 20" all day long. The best part is one does not have to get up so early unlike elk hunting.Don't forget you need a passport to get into Canada.
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby pointysticks » 05 09, 2014 •  [Post 5]

you guys are no help! hahah.

i dont even own the tackle for a big northern. i'm a bass guy. fine for walleye, i assume.
pointysticks

Postby zpd307 » 05 09, 2014 •  [Post 6]

just watched ron on due north outdoors fishing walleyes at thunderhook fly in resort in Ontario..... when we going? :D on another note, heading to lake Winnie in the am after I get off from work for walleye opener with the old man!
zpd307

First Name: gary
Last Name: s

Postby Lefty » 05 09, 2014 •  [Post 7]

I had an un married buddy, SD and Iowa roosters, Canada and Isle Royal northerns and lake trout, another Wyoming and SD Red Fox and coyotes.
If you really want him to quit taking you start taking your wife along :lol:
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby ferris bugler » 05 09, 2014 •  [Post 8]

I need to meet your brother. All my friends have gotten wives and can't do anything fun anymore.
ferris bugler

First Name: rewk
Last Name: patten

Postby Indian Summer » 05 10, 2014 •  [Post 9]

Here ye here ye... it doesn't have to be that way. I'm married and I do all that stuff the unmarried guys do. There's a lesson in there folks...... Marriage doesn't have to be a death sentence to your hunting and fishing or whatever else you do. It's all in how you pick 'em. Look at the lives their fathers lead and see what kind of gal their mother is. And most of all.... make sure they understand from the get go that you are who you are and if they try to change you it will certainly not help the relationship. Just yesterday my wife said "We're getting low on elk I can't wait until the season gets here" My reply... yeah and we could sure use some Lake Erie perch too don't you think? :D
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby pointysticks » 05 10, 2014 •  [Post 10]

My bros real freedom is the lack of a house payment.
pointysticks

Postby LckyTylr » 05 10, 2014 •  [Post 11]

I picked a good one. She realized pretty early on that I'm miserable if I'm cooped up for too long. I'm a pretty fungi (haha) when I'm aloud to exist outside in my environment.

With that though, I'm only 25% as wild as I was when I was single. I do miss the old me and the freedom/adventures I had, but my family is incredible and I'd be lost without them, especially my Wife.
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson

Postby Lefty » 05 10, 2014 •  [Post 12]

Indian Summer wrote:Here ye here ye... ,,,,,... Marriage doesn't have to be a death sentence to your hunting and fishing or whatever else you do. It's all in how you pick 'em. Look at the lives their fathers lead and see what kind of gal their mother is.,... :D

Sound advise about the parents, My mother in law was a perfect homemaker, and my FIL was a hunting fool, and my wife was his hunting partner
I have a great wife too.

But overall single guys just dont do well with female gender in the truck or tent and on the hunt
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby wawhitey » 05 12, 2014 •  [Post 13]

Yeah I think I have younger brother syndrome bad. But now I'm 31 and nobody I know has the same freedoms I do so I just say f it and run off on my own trips without even trying to get anybody to come along anymore. Still have a few more days to poke around here in idaho before I head to alaska. Then when I get back I'm heading to montana. Not even going to bother asking if anybody can go with. I don't wanna grow up I guess
wawhitey

Postby pointysticks » 05 13, 2014 •  [Post 14]

Could be worse. I could have kids! :)
pointysticks

Postby elkmtngear » 05 13, 2014 •  [Post 15]

My brother needs to lose the one he's got. It was mistake #2 for him! :(
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby husky390 » 05 13, 2014 •  [Post 16]

I'm one and done. I love my wife dearly but God forbid, should something happen, I'm never getting married again. It took me too long to find this one and I'm glad I'm not single anymore. :D
husky390
Wapiti Hunting - Logistics Consultant

First Name: Dave
Last Name: B

Postby pointysticks » 05 14, 2014 •  [Post 17]

husky390 wrote:I'm one and done. I love my wife dearly but God forbid, should something happen, I'm never getting married again. It took me too long to find this one and I'm glad I'm not single anymore. :D

Me too !

Something happens to my marriage. Done. I'll live with a bunch of cats before I get married again. I got lucky with this loving wife. I'm not gonna push that luck. Ever.
pointysticks

Postby Indian Summer » 05 17, 2014 •  [Post 18]

pointysticks wrote:
husky390 wrote:I'm one and done. I love my wife dearly but God forbid, should something happen, I'm never getting married again. It took me too long to find this one and I'm glad I'm not single anymore. :D

Me too !

Something happens to my marriage. Done. I'll live with a bunch of cats before I get married again. I got lucky with this loving wife. I'm not gonna push that luck. Ever.

Times three on that!!!!!!! I have zero regrets about getting married. But if anything were to happen I'll be single for life. I'm sure I'd have a significant other but that's about it. My wife and I were together 12 years and even owned a house together before I decided it was safe to get hitched. But listen up youngins.... I don't care if you are dating Snow White mark my words.: They all change at least a little once you put a ring on their finger. If you have a single doubt or a certain problem that won't go away keep shopping. And mark these word as well..... neither a man or a woman should get married thinking they will change the other one down the road and live happily ever after. If you need to change them or vice versa they aren't the one.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby BrentLaBere » 05 21, 2014 •  [Post 19]

Few pictures from the short trip to LOTW. Walleye fishing wasn't the greatest, although we did alright with the ice still being on half the areas we wanted to fish. Small pike with no big fish follows.....so we went after a few lakers.
Attachments
Scott.jpg
Scott.jpg (201.9 KiB) Viewed 6559 times
Lake Trout.jpg
Lake Trout.jpg (195.6 KiB) Viewed 6559 times
Chance.jpg
Chance.jpg (186.63 KiB) Viewed 6559 times
BrentLaBere

Postby BrentLaBere » 05 21, 2014 •  [Post 20]

Water temperature was just right :D.
A nice sunset picture from camp and my first lake trout of the trip.
Attachments
Laker.jpg
Laker.jpg (199.73 KiB) Viewed 6559 times
IMAG0138 - Copy.jpg
IMAG0138 - Copy.jpg (145.65 KiB) Viewed 6559 times
Resampled_2014-05-16_20-38-30_641.jpg
Resampled_2014-05-16_20-38-30_641.jpg (85.9 KiB) Viewed 6559 times
BrentLaBere

Postby pointysticks » 05 21, 2014 •  [Post 21]

That is so cool! Dang
pointysticks