Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Friends & Family

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Friends & Family

Postby Indian Summer » 05 17, 2014 •  [Post 1]

I was reading the thread on the chainsaws. Nice work there guys!

But it made me think of something I wanted to pass on. It has to do with the importance of friends and family. I bet there's not an elk nut on here who doesn't give thanks for one reason or another for the help or just the support of the people they know.

On Thursday I got a call from a friend up in New Brunswick Canada. Marco LeBlanc... I always jokingly call him Mark White. Anyway another guy Norm I know from up there is a great person. I don't know him nearly as well as Marco his wife, dad , mother and his entire family but he would give me the shirt off his back I swear to you. He helps with things before I get there to bear hunt. They drive hours and then hike for miles carrying bait buckets.. all for me. I'm the only one who hunts the site. Not even them!

Norm has been battling cancer for a couple years now. You'd never know it. He is always smiling and has a laugh that is truly contagious. Last week he went over to Nova Scotia for a bone marrow transplant. Needless to say the whole ordeal has taken it's toll on Norm. So Marco told me "Well we did Norm's firewood for next winter already" I said yeah, how long did that take. His answer blew me away. 25 guys, 8 chainsaws, two hydraulic splitters.... 11 cords cut split and stacked in 3 1/2 hours! Holy shit right!

It's a tight knit community up there and lots of them work at the same place where lately the future isn't looking so bright. But the owner of the company pitched in and they had a big barbeque afterwards where they also raised $1200 to give to Norm for whatever.

There are times when I laugh and tell them they are behind in the times. But there are many more times where I think that is a good thing. All in all I'd say I'm a little envious of my friends up there. I'm thankful to be able to call them my friends. Actually in a way me and Marco are like family. His wife is a wonderful person too.

Anyone remember the Waltons? Those were the days. So if you all don't mind how about a few prayers for old Norm. Maybe it will come back to you one day. Thanks guys.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Re: Friends & Family

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 17, 2014 •  [Post 2]

Sounds like some real good folks, these friends of yours. I sincerely hope Norm can beat this thing. I'll keep him and his family in my prayers.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 05 17, 2014 •  [Post 3]

The Lord is gracious and good. I will talk to Him about Norm's situation.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby elkaholic » 05 17, 2014 •  [Post 4]

Go beat this thing Norm! He and his family are in our thoughts &prayers.
elkaholic

First Name: Leland
Last Name: Stanford

Postby zpd307 » 05 17, 2014 •  [Post 5]

prayers sent from here....
zpd307

First Name: gary
Last Name: s

Postby 8upbowhunter » 05 18, 2014 •  [Post 6]

Prayers sent for Norm and his family.
8upbowhunter

Postby ElkNut1 » 05 19, 2014 •  [Post 7]

Joe, thanks for sharing your thoughts there, very nice to let us know the importance of friends & family that sometimes we take for granted! My heart goes out to Norm & family, God bless them!

Paul
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Elkduds » 05 19, 2014 •  [Post 8]

There is not enough good news shared in this digital age, IMO. Cancer is not good news, but the personal strength, community support and cooperation in this story is heartwarming. I am glad to join the chorus of those sending prayers, while recognizing these people have given each other blessings as well.

Best item I've seen on the internet in a long while. Thanks for posting, Joe.
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby Indian Summer » 05 20, 2014 •  [Post 9]

Thanks guys. I sent a link to this thread so they'll know we are thinking of them. I like to show them that there are people down here alot like them. As you would imagine there are people in the far north who don't know much about people in the States. I've come across a couple who thought we were all like George Bush! After getting to know me their opinions completely changed.

I just had to share this. Don't tell anyone but when Marco told me what they did for Norm I had to wipe a tear from my eyes. If being behind in the times means caring about your fellow man like that then I think I'll pass on progress you know.
Indian Summer

Postby zpd307 » 05 20, 2014 •  [Post 10]

amen
zpd307

First Name: gary
Last Name: s

Postby ST52V » 05 20, 2014 •  [Post 11]

Totally agree. Prayers sent. About a month ago my buddy had his 3 boys on the tractor with him to go for a ride. Eddie. (5 years old ) slipped and in a instant his life ended. The support from complete strangers , family and friends was amazing. People waited in line for hours in 35 degree weather just to get in the funeral home for the viewing. Tell him to hang in there and he can beat this this.
ST52V

First Name: Robin
Last Name: Wise

Postby Indian Summer » 05 21, 2014 •  [Post 12]

ST52V wrote:Totally agree. Prayers sent. About a month ago my buddy had his 3 boys on the tractor with him to go for a ride. Eddie. (5 years old ) slipped and in a instant his life ended. The support from complete strangers , family and friends was amazing. People waited in line for hours in 35 degree weather just to get in the funeral home for the viewing. Tell him to hang in there and he can beat this this.

Speechless. :cry:
Indian Summer

Postby ishy » 05 22, 2014 •  [Post 13]

More prayers sent. Pretty cool to see people pull out all the stops for someone in need.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L