Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Head count

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Head count

Postby Lefty » 05 28, 2014 •  [Post 1]

My truck was in the shop, my wife was sick; My middle daughter said I want to go,
we spent all the wrong times in the box blind waiting on a bear.
On Monday between noon and 6 the bear hit the grain and ate three muskrat carcasses
Tuesday morning it appeared we bumped them off the baits when we came in, 40lbs of apples grain and bread were gone
Monday afternoon we chased around saw 7 elk, 15 deer and four moose. I sometimes wonder why I dont hunt elk in that unit
Attachments
IMG_5022 (Small).JPG
IMG_5022 (Small).JPG (94.49 KiB) Viewed 4348 times
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Head count

Postby Fridaythe13th » 05 29, 2014 •  [Post 2]

Better than work. How many days do you get to hunt? Took dad fishing in one of MN 10,000 lakes last night good time only keep 8.
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby Lefty » 05 29, 2014 •  [Post 3]

Lots of things better than work, Idaho spring bear opens in April for 60 days I was out for the first three weeks of season, I was back in Mankato MN as my mother passed from cancer .
One of the few things I miss since leaving Minnesota is good fishing. Last Saturdays efforts landed a 12' trout and a 5' largemouth :o
Lefty

Postby ishy » 05 29, 2014 •  [Post 4]

I ask myself same thing every year, this year we have one bull that's a five point already hitting our bait. Judging from times on pics looks like he even pushes a little bear off once. Elk are everywhere this time of year, makes me think what the heck's my problem in September .
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby wawhitey » 06 01, 2014 •  [Post 5]

Keep at it. Bears are out full force now. Twice today while checking cams I came across bear piles on the way back that weren't there on the way in, and jumped a couple in 2 days. Wish I brought my rifle to idaho few weeks ago. Ran into a stud chocolate blackie.
wawhitey

Postby Lefty » 06 02, 2014 •  [Post 6]

My pickup has been in the shop, the machinist took a week off , so Im still sitting. All my gear is ready to go
Lefty

Postby wawhitey » 06 02, 2014 •  [Post 7]

heres biggest guy ive gotten so far on my cams this spring. still havent checked em all tho. i think this guys a shooter. http://imgur.com/6yUQoMT

sure wish we could bait bear here, if we could more people would kill them. we sure have a population problem with the bears around my area. but hardly anybody hunts them. lazy bastards
wawhitey

Postby Lefty » 06 02, 2014 •  [Post 8]

How high up off the ground is your camera.

I forgot my trail cam when I originally set bait. I was expecting to get up to rebait. Trail cam is in the pickup in the shop
Lefty

Postby wawhitey » 06 02, 2014 •  [Post 9]

its about 12 feet up. i use slate river mounts to get them angled correctly. ive found that putting them up high is the best way to prevent theft and animal damage. i dont even use python locks or anything anymore, all that stuff just makes them more visible. and out of about 50 bears i had on cam last summer only one of them bothered climbing the trees to chew them up. that bastard hit multiple cams multiple times. very distinctive looking bear, if i see him hes gonna get it.
wawhitey

Postby Lefty » 06 03, 2014 •  [Post 10]

Ive gotten whiskers, noses, eyeballs and horns.
The first time I saw my camera moved by a bear I realized it could have been a loss real easy.

I have a dilemma out in the desert there isnt much to mount a camera from
I drove past one camera this year someone had a metal mount to the side of the road,. very obvious
Ive been placing my camera on a wooden post I place just for the camera. Bulls and cows like to rub on the posts so I guard the post with tumble weed This year Im hunting a different area. Any camera on the water will stick out and scream trailcam.
Lefty

Postby wawhitey » 06 03, 2014 •  [Post 11]

oh i should have gone spring bear hunting in idaho. this is killing me. saw probably the biggest black bear ive ever seen in my life today. damn washington for being draw only for spring bear. i know theres guys out there from the coast with spring bear tags for my unit who have given up already. you bastards in idaho dont know how good you have it.
wawhitey

Postby flystrait » 06 09, 2014 •  [Post 12]

wawhitey wrote:heres biggest guy ive gotten so far on my cams this spring. still havent checked em all tho. i think this guys a shooter. http://imgur.com/6yUQoMT

sure wish we could bait bear here, if we could more people would kill them. we sure have a population problem with the bears around my area. but hardly anybody hunts them. lazy bastards

That is a studd for sure. His head looks small only due to how big he is. I would say 400lb plus spring bear. Don't see many of them.
flystrait

Postby wawhitey » 06 10, 2014 •  [Post 13]

flystrait wrote:
wawhitey wrote:heres biggest guy ive gotten so far on my cams this spring. still havent checked em all tho. i think this guys a shooter. http://imgur.com/6yUQoMT

That is a studd for sure. His head looks small only due to how big he is. I would say 400lb plus spring bear. Don't see many of them.
I was guessing 300 or so but I'm no expert. What you said is just what I was thinking tho. His body looks huge but his head not so much. Hopefully you're right and his head is big just dwarfed by his body mass. So many bears around this area tho odds are he won't be the one to wear my tag. But hey you never know.
wawhitey

Postby wawhitey » 06 12, 2014 •  [Post 14]

Dead bear yet dennis?
wawhitey

Postby Lefty » 06 13, 2014 •  [Post 15]

We pulled everything Sunday afternoon. The bear hit the bait Friday night, ate 12 lbs of apples . Sat all day Saturday then went in Sunday afternoon and pulled the baits.In years past this site was only active the 2, 3 rd and -4th weeks in May And the past 3 years wasn't hit after Memorial weekend I want a rug and I figured I had run out of time for good hair
Nearly a full barrel of grains and over 200 lbs of grease,.. I really think he is a bear that wouldn't come into the bait if we were there
Lefty