Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Bee's

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Bee's

Postby Breeze » 07 02, 2014 •  [Post 1]

I figured this is a topic for "Doc's Office..... Not worried anyone will recognize me.... Took about ten shots to the head/face (day 3 September) and didn't start to swell for a few hours. This is 24 hours later and is actually an improved look from when I woke up in the morning with both eyes swollen shut. I have been stung almost every elk season or when scouting in Idaho, and got stung on two occasions after this day. Needless to say I was nervous about this reaction, and am now the proud owner of a couple "Epi-pens" and a serious concern about getting stung again! Lost 4 days of hunting but consider myself lucky. Even though I never had a reaction prior to this I always carry Benedryl and gobbled down a few within minutes of getting stung

One thing I do know about Elk hunting; whatever you are doing is the most dangerous thing, or place. (the drive; the hike; the elements; the flora and fauna, etc) It is a good idea to employ the Scout Motto, "Be Prepared".

That double chin was like carrying a water balloon for a couple weeks!
Anybody else in the same pickle? I'm putting elastic in my shirt/jacket cuffs; maybe wearing a gator around pant legs; always hunt wearing gloves; practicing shooting with a camo headnet; packing some latex gloves for cutting up meat; and of course carrying lots of Benedryl.
Attachments
P9020222 - Copy.JPG
P9020222 - Copy.JPG (37.82 KiB) Viewed 4537 times
Breeze

Re: Bee's

Postby elkmtngear » 07 02, 2014 •  [Post 2]

Wow! :o

Bald faced hornets? Or just yellowjackets?

I had a honeybee go up my pantleg and sting my calf last Season. That's the only bee that's ever stung me in 15 years of hunting Colorado.
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby jmez » 07 02, 2014 •  [Post 3]

Never been stung while hunting. I'll swell like you did once in a while but have never thought about it while hunting.
jmez

First Name: jason
Last Name: mez

Postby Fridaythe13th » 07 03, 2014 •  [Post 4]

I'm packing Benedryl this year. HOLY CRAP. I have never had a reaction from bee's, but I have never been stung 10 time.
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 03, 2014 •  [Post 5]

Lee, wow! They did put the smack on you bud! I too am allergic to bee stings & have swollen up as you have there, not fun at all! Thanks for the reminder in helping us to be aware & prepared for the outdoors!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby zpd307 » 07 03, 2014 •  [Post 6]

my middle son used to have reactions like that from mosquitos..... his face looked like yours one summer when he was around 3. luckily every year since then it has gotten better and better with smaller reactions. I am glad that I am not allergic to bees. I cant remember the last time that I was stung by one.
zpd307

First Name: gary
Last Name: s

Postby Deafirishman » 07 03, 2014 •  [Post 7]

I can relay to this. I got stung 5 times last year while in Idaho. 4 of those happened at the same time. Hurt like hell !! Thank goodness I am no allergic to them :)
Deafirishman

First Name: Aaron

Postby wawhitey » 07 03, 2014 •  [Post 8]

I'm swarmed by hornets and yellow jackets all the time but they never sting me. There is some type of small bee around tho that is really mean. I'm talking they seem to go way out of their way to sting me. Sometimes 3-5 a day will get me. Luckily they don't really hurt too much. More annoying than anything
wawhitey

Postby pointysticks » 07 04, 2014 •  [Post 9]

Dang! Plus the camera adds 10 lbs. :).

Hope this is very short term for you.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Lefty » 07 06, 2014 •  [Post 10]

Yikes that looks bad

Ive swollen a few times , once from a single sting my arm turned to hard jelly, another time a few got under my head net while working a hive and got my neck,.. my throat started swelling shut, a friends quick action calling the doc and Benadryl was like magic.
For me I would rather get stung by 10or 20 honey bees than hit by one baldface, when they bite it fells like someone took a swing with a bat to the bite location

I think I posted a picture of about 25 bees on my blind screen window on one of my evening hunts last year
I keep Benadryl in my first aid kit
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby ishy » 07 06, 2014 •  [Post 11]

I stepped over a downfall last year and was busy clearing snags when I heard the jet taking off...my boot that was over the downfall was ontop of an underground nest. As I looked down my leg looked like an ant hill! I got out pretty quick, but still got hit a few times. Luckily I'm not allergic. Did have two newbies to bowhunting that both imformed me they were allergic on the hill, one after he got stung once and had a popey forearm.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby Blackhorn » 07 08, 2014 •  [Post 12]

I hope everyone on here whom is not allergic to bee's are still carrying benadryl or epi. As a precaution, you never know that next sting can cause a reaction. I had a co worker whom had his first reaction out cutting firewood quite a ways from medical help, he came very close to dying.
Blackhorn

Postby pointysticks » 07 08, 2014 •  [Post 13]

You need a prescription to get one?
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Blackhorn » 07 08, 2014 •  [Post 14]

You would for epi. Talk to your doctor he should prescribe one even if you're not allergic. I am not 100% positive though. I get mine from a secret source:)
Blackhorn

Postby phall » 07 08, 2014 •  [Post 15]

most reactions intensify with additional exposures key word most... everyone is correct take a epinephrine injection aka epi pen. also benadryl, zantac and or pepcid can and will help... also if you have albuterol inhaler that can help as well... in the back country everyone should have at minimum a epi pen you never know when that first reaction will happen to you or hunting partner..and when a true anaphylactic reaction occurs it can progress rapidly and you can die in minutes.
phall

First Name: patrick
Last Name: hall

Postby Lefty » 07 14, 2014 •  [Post 16]

Thanks for posting about this.
Tuesday mornign I woke up aty scout camp and one of the boys looked just like the pic, only hes eyes were swollen shut. First night we thought it was ants 'We" had been messing with an ant colony.
Next day maybe his sleeping bags, I washed and rinsed it a number of times,
Poor kid was miserable Benidryl helped.

Im going to ask my doc for an EPI for my pac
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H