DIY home security systems

Postby ST52V » 07 09, 2014 •  [Post 1]

If you have done this please let me know which one and how you like it. Thanks
ST52V

First Name: Robin
Last Name: Wise

Re: DIY home security systems

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 10, 2014 •  [Post 2]

I purchased my products (Simon XT main unit, wireless sensors on doors/windows) from this company. They've been very good with customer assistance throughout my time with them (they also have a bunch of on line tutorial videos). I had a friend assist me in putting the system in (she works for a local security company) which helped a ton but the GE Simon systems are pretty easy to learn how to install and use.

http://www.safemart.com/
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Indian Summer » 07 13, 2014 •  [Post 3]

Made me laugh thinking about my answer. We had a hunting camp in northern Pa. The local kids, and a few adults, knew that people from the southern tier would be back home during the week days so it was common to arrive at camp and find the door open. In the back there was a window that was high off the ground but reachable. If a person were to discover it unlocked it would be a great way to enter the camp because you couldn't see it from the road. Once they got up there and were hanging in the window sill with their feet about 2 feet from the floor they'd have to let go and fall a short distance to the floor inside.

We would um... accidentally leave that window open and just below it I would leave a couple 2 by 12s with 12 penny spike nails protruding up through them. It was the only alternative because the state troopers said it was not legal to rig a shotgun up with a string to the trigger attached to the door!
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Lefty » 07 14, 2014 •  [Post 4]

Indian Summer wrote: It was the only alterative because the state troopers said it was not legal to rig a shotgun up with a string to the trigger attached to the door!
I assume the nails were for bears,.. right

I live on the end of a 1/2 mile dead-end road in Idaho; with Navy Seals, Marines , other retired military, Law enforcement, a few too many "preppers" and way too many "Dont Treed on me flags"
My Security system is simple; a little rat dog, a lab, chain-link in the backyard, rifle and archery targets lining the fence, and sometimes a trail cam to see whats traveling the fence line

I may have told this story on this forum. Four Native boys 18-24 wanted more to drink early one morning. they had walked into 7 ( all unlocked open garages) of my neighbors homes looking for beer,Most of my neighbors are Mormon and dont drink. The 7th house they entered a 50 year retired 6' 6 retired Marines and gun shop owners home. When law enforcement arrived the young men had found religion and cleaned up the floor from wetting and filling their pants,
Our neighborhood ; The "We dont need to call 911 in Tyhee" is a fact
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby pointysticks » 07 15, 2014 •  [Post 5]

I live in a culdesac with all retired old ladies. They know everything and see everything. One time this poor guy broke down in front of my house. They had him towed in two days. He came ringing my door. I had no clue, I thought he got it.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Lefty » 07 15, 2014 •  [Post 6]

pointysticks wrote:I live in a culdesac with all retired old ladies. They know everything and see everything.,....

We have one of those neighbors too. Kind of nice when we had 3 teenage daughters,..
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby pointysticks » 07 15, 2014 •  [Post 7]

Lefty wrote:
pointysticks wrote:I live in a culdesac with all retired old ladies. They know everything and see everything.,....

We have one of those neighbors too. Kind of nice when we had 3 teenage daughters,..

Lol. Dad of the year stuff right there. Sneaky!
pointysticks

Postby ST52V » 07 15, 2014 •  [Post 8]

Thanks for the input guys! We just closed on our dream home on Monday. It's about 250' off the road so you can 't see it or see any neighbors. It has a paved driveway where most on that road are gravel. We have a dog and my wife is not crazy about handling guns. Too top it off I work steady nights. We also spend weekends at our camp in the mountains. It is not a high crime area at all but you just never know. It wii be more for peace of mind. I like the looks of the simplisafe system.
ST52V

Postby pointysticks » 07 16, 2014 •  [Post 9]

congrats!!

my dream is to live somewhere that i cannot see my neighbors. my wife's dream is to live in a condo, near public trans, walking to stores..gah.

hope my next wife is cooler :) jk..i'll just hunt more.
pointysticks

Postby ST52V » 07 22, 2014 •  [Post 10]

I did pick up the simplisafe alarm system. I will let everyone know how it works.
ST52V