Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Colorado gun law question?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Postby 8upbowhunter » 07 11, 2014 •  [Post 1]

I know Colorado is an open carry state so I should have no problems with open carrying a pistol during my hunt in September. What are the laws as far as in a vehicle while traveling? In Louisiana my vehicle is an extension of my home so I can have it in plain view or concealed, loaded or unloaded except for a few places like NWR's and WMA,s. I like to bring a pistol when I travel more so for the 2 legged critters that the 4 legged ones but I don't want to leave it in my truck or tent while out hunting so I am forced to open carry it because I can't conceal it in my pack correct.
8upbowhunter

Re: Colorado gun law question?

Postby Elkduds » 07 11, 2014 •  [Post 2]

I just reread the current CO regulation brochure RE handgun carry. Open carry for self defense while hunting is legal. Do not shoot game in archery season w any firearm. I have not heard that handgun-in-pack is considered "concealed," to be certain you should ask the CPW via internet. Hunting weapons in cars must be unloaded, likewise for handguns, meaning no round in firing chamber. Hope that helps.
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby 8upbowhunter » 07 12, 2014 •  [Post 3]

Other than the pack issue, yes it does thanks.
8upbowhunter

Postby baddaddy » 07 12, 2014 •  [Post 4]

8up,

Colorado also sees your vehicle as an extension of your home. Rifles and shotguns must have the chamber clear. A handgun can be loaded and be concealed or in plain view.
baddaddy

Postby 8upbowhunter » 07 12, 2014 •  [Post 5]

Thanks for the clarification baddaddy. I did find it online stating what you said to be correct under Title:18 and Title:33.

"However it is unlawful for any person, except a person authorized by law or by the division, to possess or have under his control any firearm, other than a pistol or revolver, in or on any motor vehicle unless the chamber of such firearm is unloaded."
8upbowhunter

Postby Elkduds » 07 12, 2014 •  [Post 6]

There it is, I stand corrected.
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby husky390 » 07 15, 2014 •  [Post 7]

If you're being pulled over, It's been my experience to give Officer Friendly a heads up that you're packing heat. In all cases they had me dead to rights for speeding and I was only given a verbal warning. Other than, it was a pleasant conversation.
husky390
Wapiti Hunting - Logistics Consultant

First Name: Dave
Last Name: B