Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

DIY Alaska Caribou Hunt

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

DIY Alaska Caribou Hunt

Postby huntfishtrap247 » 08 02, 2014 •  [Post 1]

Has anyone done a DIY alaskan caribou hunt? I want to start looking into one, and want to get a few opinions on how people went about it. Any input or information in general would be appreciated. Thanks guys
huntfishtrap247

First Name: Paul
Last Name: P

Re: DIY Alaska Caribou Hunt

Postby Indian Summer » 08 03, 2014 •  [Post 2]

Caribou herds are something you definitely need to make sure you have up to the minute info on. You can find info saying that the herds north of Dillingham are thriving but that would be outdated and you would be very disappointed hunting there. Generally speaking I'd suggest hunting out of Kotzebue. Right now and for the past several years that is the place to be for bou.

The main thing to get started thinking about is your mode of transportation. Hunting from a road such as the Haul Rd is not for me. Hit or miss and lots of competition. Do it right and hire an air transporter. 40 Mile Air is a good one for bou if you can get a spot on their schedule. If not Google up Kotzebue air transporters or bush pilots. Don't forget to go on the Alaska Outdoors Directory website. More info than you can ask for and air transporters advertising there.

Good luck.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Re: DIY Alaska Caribou Hunt

Postby POk3s » 08 10, 2014 •  [Post 3]

I just got back from a haul road hunt. It was a great time but with that said, I'd be interested in learning more about this other hunt. We were definitely up the haul road on the "miss" not the "hit" . I filled my tag with a small bull on day 6 and was the first of my 3 person hunting party to do so. Another gentlemen filled his while I was packing mine out. They finally came through a little bit but it was a lot of down time.
POk3s