Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

happy and sad at the same time. hired a house painter.

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

happy and sad at the same time. hired a house painter.

Postby pointysticks » 08 05, 2014 •  [Post 1]

YAY!!!
and
BOOO!

i may have inadvertently told my wife i would paint the house this summer. mountain biking, coming from my singletrack back to my house i was passing a pro work on a house in worse shape than ours. i wanted to get tips. biggest tip gathered? maybe i am not the man for the job. the guy did prep work like a magician. he sanded a good portion of the home down to wood..patched holes, covered with a latex coating and then painted...geeze. i would die.

i watched him finish up and leave. i got his number and my wife just got an estimate and hired him.

sure..not cheap. but damn..better than me doing it. summer is ripping by!! my deer season starts in 2 weeks...no way i find the time, and i end up in the dog house all winter.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Re: happy and sad at the same time. hired a house painter.

Postby ishy » 08 05, 2014 •  [Post 2]

Rigth there with ya. We are trying to list our house, and now it's August and it's still not ready and I am getting more nervous by the minute.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby timberland » 08 06, 2014 •  [Post 3]

pointysticks wrote:YAY!!!
and
BOOO!

i may have inadvertently told my wife i would paint the house this summer. mountain biking, coming from my singletrack back to my house i was passing a pro work on a house in worse shape than ours. i wanted to get tips. biggest tip gathered? maybe i am not the man for the job. the guy did prep work like a magician. he sanded a good portion of the home down to wood..patched holes, covered with a latex coating and then painted...geeze. i would die.

i watched him finish up and leave. i got his number and my wife just got an estimate and hired him.

sure..not cheap. but damn..better than me doing it. summer is ripping by!! my deer season starts in 2 weeks...no way i find the time, and i end up in the dog house all winter.

I just consider it "the cost of doing business" (freeing up time to go hunting)
timberland

First Name: Barry
Last Name: B

Postby Swede » 08 06, 2014 •  [Post 4]

That sounds great to me. I have about 6 years on the current house paint. It should last another 6 years too. Be sure you get a high quality paint. Two neighbors bought some paint and it started pealing in five years. Often painters will recommend a good paint, but may go with a cheap paint to save themselves a few bucks. Consumer reports and some others will give you a good idea. I went with a high end Sherwin Williams paint and have been very satisfied.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 08 06, 2014 •  [Post 5]

No need to paint aluminum siding :lol:
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby LongShot » 08 07, 2014 •  [Post 6]

At one point in my life, I painted houses professionally. I can tell you that prep is 90% of a professional-level paint job. And there aren't really any shortcuts except experience when doing that prep work. Paying a pro is worth the extra expense, and Mama will be happy with the result. I still do quite a bit of painting around the house. My wife wants different colors on the walls, but she can't paint worth a damn and gets bored 10 minutes into the job. Just like hunting, I've been known to paint from first light until dark. Strange, huh? :lol:
LongShot

First Name: Anon

Postby pointysticks » 08 07, 2014 •  [Post 7]

Lefty wrote:No need to paint aluminum siding :lol:

FUNNY..i'll armor arm the tires!!
pointysticks

Postby pointysticks » 08 07, 2014 •  [Post 8]

LongShot wrote:At one point in my life, I painted houses professionally. I can tell you that prep is 90% of a professional-level paint job. And there aren't really any shortcuts except experience when doing that prep work. Paying a pro is worth the extra expense, and Mama will be happy with the result. I still do quite a bit of painting around the house. My wife wants different colors on the walls, but she can't paint worth a damn and gets bored 10 minutes into the job. Just like hunting, I've been known to paint from first light until dark. Strange, huh? :lol:

right. talking to the guy, we heard steps in prep i ddint even know about. this guy is all about the prep..i think his company name is "prep prep prep painting" something like that...:D
pointysticks