Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

DIY dehydrated meals

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

DIY dehydrated meals

Postby elk.addict » 08 06, 2014 •  [Post 1]

I like Mountain House, but I go through so many throughout the year that I'm going to start making my own (to save money and eat healthier). Just ordered my dehydrator and backpackers cook book.
Just curious, is anyone else doing this? Is it worth the hassle? Any tips?

I'm already getting hungry just thinking about the 800 calorie breakfast skillet I plan on creating :)
elk.addict

Re: DIY dehydrated meals

Postby SoCo Mark » 08 07, 2014 •  [Post 2]

I did this myself this year.. I was asked to provide pictures, and I need to, but the highly technical stuff of taking, uploading and posting pictures is "a challenge" for me... I really do not like tech stuff. at all.

That said, I've built my meals for 26 days in the field this year. Don't know if I'll be out for that many, but I've got food enough to be.

One thing that shocked me, and I have a nine tray Excalibur- it takes more time than I imagined. The stews, chili and casseroles are easy enough, 9 meals overnight or during a work day. Pasta though, for instance, you have your pasta, your marinara, and your meat, it may take 2-3 drying sessions to get it all to assemble. Tuna casserole the same way. BTW, tuna doesn't taste the same after drying, at least to me. Much more fishy and thus revolting..
SoCo Mark

First Name: Mark
Last Name: C

Postby ishy » 08 07, 2014 •  [Post 3]

Hoping to start trying this out, but will probably wait till next year with a new job and trying to list our house. Seems like this time of year time actually speeds up because I want to get so many things done befor ethe season I blink once and it's here.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby ferris bugler » 08 07, 2014 •  [Post 4]

I do. It does take time, but the way I do it is just make a bunch at a time and eat some the day you make it plus have at least two servings for when you are out. There are some awesome recipes around.
ferris bugler

First Name: rewk
Last Name: patten

Postby slim9300 » 08 08, 2014 •  [Post 5]

I do it and go through about 20 meals per year. This thread got be started... I will never go back. MH and BP meals made me want to puke after years of eating them.

http://www.rokslide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4136
Work hard. Be happy. Annoy a Liberal. :wink:
2012 Bowtech Insanity CPXL (Crackerized!) #61/31" DL (Gold Tip Pro ~ 455 grains @ 290 fps = 86 lbs. KE!)
University of Washington; Foster School of Business Alum
slim9300
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby elk.addict » 08 08, 2014 •  [Post 6]

Excellent info, thanks guys. I'm excited to start making my own meals. I bought one of the round tray systems (with a fan), but after doing a little more research I kind of wish I had forked out the extra dough for the Excaliber. No doubt it will still work though.
elk.addict

Postby slim9300 » 08 08, 2014 •  [Post 7]

elk.addict wrote:Excellent info, thanks guys. I'm excited to start making my own meals. I bought one of the round tray systems (with a fan), but after doing a little more research I kind of wish I had forked out the extra dough for the Excaliber. No doubt it will still work though.

I'm sure it will be just fine. I have the 5 tray Excaliber. Remember to use 2 jars of red to one box or pasta, or 3 jars of white. Anything less is not good in my opinion.
Work hard. Be happy. Annoy a Liberal. :wink:
2012 Bowtech Insanity CPXL (Crackerized!) #61/31" DL (Gold Tip Pro ~ 455 grains @ 290 fps = 86 lbs. KE!)
University of Washington; Foster School of Business Alum
slim9300
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics