Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Conservation officers, Five year average

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Conservation officers, Five year average

Postby Lefty » 09 21, 2014 •  [Post 1]

Opening Saturday a CO stopped by my camp. We had a nice visit. I told him this was the second time in 20 years that I had been checked in Idaho. I told him too much strange stuff happens out in the desert and he should show up more often.

Well since that time Ive had two other Conservation officers stop by my camps ( one camp an hours drive away).. The last two just visited,..both woke me from a noon siesta 8-) The last were unfamiliar with the region and just asked about the area.

Whats the deal? Three in three weeks, or should I say four in twenty years :shock: :roll: :o
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Conservation officers, Five year average

Postby ferris bugler » 09 22, 2014 •  [Post 2]

While I wish we would see them more often they always seem to show up at the worst times, like during a nap.
ferris bugler

First Name: rewk
Last Name: patten

Postby Lefty » 09 22, 2014 •  [Post 3]

ferris bugler wrote:While I wish we would see them more often they always seem to show up at the worst times, like during a nap.

Its better than the only other time I was checked here in Idaho, Flights of geese lined up and they were walking out in the field wondering if they should go back to the truck or continue screwing up the geese coming in. the CO had a couple USFW guys so they messed up the flight
I do like them to show up, I wish there were 5 times as many,..law enforcement sure keeps the rif-raf away ;)
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby wawhitey » 09 22, 2014 •  [Post 4]

Never seen a gamie in the field. Last year I found a 1x3 buck killed and dumped (4x minimum unit) and two days after deer season I found a buck that somebody shot and just cut the head off leaving all the meat for the scavengers. Wish some sort of game warden presence would show on occasion. Of course they'd probably do nothing but ticket me for not wearing a helmet when I'm on my way into my hunting area or something.
wawhitey

Postby zpd307 » 09 23, 2014 •  [Post 5]

I am sure you have an inadequate amount of co's in Idaho just as we have in mn.... they will pull officers from their station and double or triple up on hot spots through out the year.
zpd307

First Name: gary
Last Name: s

Postby pointysticks » 09 23, 2014 •  [Post 6]

i like seeing those guys out there.

turkey hunting, i get checked all the time. that's about it. in NM, they will cruise around checking tags pretty regularly. at least during deer seasons.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby ferris bugler » 09 27, 2014 •  [Post 7]

Lefty wrote:
ferris bugler wrote:While I wish we would see them more often they always seem to show up at the worst times, like during a nap.

Its better than the only other time I was checked here in Idaho, Flights of geese lined up and they were walking out in the field wondering if they should go back to the truck or continue screwing up the geese coming in. the CO had a couple USFW guys so they messed up the flight
I do like them to show up, I wish there were 5 times as many,..law enforcement sure keeps the rif-raf away ;)

I have also had them blow geese flights. Made my dad so mad he actually wrote a letter to complain about it. It's still better to see them out there though. As they have become more scarce I've watched the rules get bent to non existent.
ferris bugler

First Name: rewk
Last Name: patten