Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Sitka gear

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Sitka gear

Postby ohio boy » 12 22, 2014 •  [Post 1]

Just curious does anyone wear sitka clothing? And if so whats your opinion and is it really worth the money?? Seems aweful expensive. Ive read a good bit of reviews on them and they all seemed positive. Didnt know if all the negative reviews got held out or if they really are worth the money..
ohio boy

Re: Sitka gear

Postby jmez » 12 22, 2014 •  [Post 2]

I have some Sitka items as well as Kryptek and Kuiu. I like the Sitka gear that I have but don't think it is any better than the other brands. It is good stuff but I don't think it merits the price, given the other cheaper options that are available.
jmez

First Name: jason
Last Name: mez

Postby timberland » 12 22, 2014 •  [Post 3]

Just bought core4element highline pants and element jacket on sale 25% and free shipping, got both for $240 ish. My limited experience with similar products make me think they're worth it, especially when you're limited on space or weight like a packin or fly in. Just don't pat full price, shop around.
timberland

First Name: Barry
Last Name: B

Postby ohio boy » 12 22, 2014 •  [Post 4]

Thanks for reply. I was looking at the downpour outfit. I want something thats totally waterproof not water resistant. And there downpour outfit is gore tex which ive had alot of good luck with. But $450 for the outfit seemed a little much. Maybe i can talk the wife into it anyway!!
ohio boy

Postby jmez » 12 22, 2014 •  [Post 5]

Kryptek Koldo is waterproof as is the Core 4 raingear. Both will keep you dry for less money. Keep an eye on Camofire for a good deal on the Core4. No experience with the Kuiu but a lot of guys in AK swear by the stuff so it must work. Not sure of the price on their rain gear, may be spendy.
jmez

First Name: jason
Last Name: mez

Postby MTLongdraw » 12 22, 2014 •  [Post 6]

Ohio- I don't have any sitka stuff but lots of core4. I think the sitka pants that run about 140 are a bit better than the core4 pants near the same price. Just seem a little thicker and more durable. Whether your going with sitka, KUIU, krytek, first lite I think your making a good choice. The stuff is durable, stretches, dries quick and doesn't develop an odor like jeans or cotton. Well worth the money.
MTLongdraw

First Name: Josh
Last Name: Volinkaty

Postby Indian Summer » 12 23, 2014 •  [Post 7]

As most people who use Sitka gear I love it. Completely unrestricted movement. I can't imagine needing it to treestand hunt but when you want to tear up the mountains with a backpack on it's awesome. I can cover more ground and at the end of the day I'm not nearly as beat up as when I wear pants and other clothing that "hold me back". I am really surprised how well the Timberline pants resist tears and snags. I beat the hell out of it and it's no worse for wear.

I have a friend who has the Downpour. It is really nice. Very durable too. But I don't go for the "it's 100% waterproof AND it breaths" stuff. There is only one raingear for me when I want and NEED to make sure I stay dry and that is Helly Hansen Impertech. The choice of every Alaskan where there's no playing games. The material is surprisingly stretchy too. Just last week I replaced mine. Took advantage of some Christmas sales. The new model pants have zippers at the cuffs for pulling on and off over boots which is nice. This time I went with their longer Guide Coat too. Thinking ahead to my moose hunt next fall. It comes in Camo but that's more expensive. I just went with olive green. Look for reviews on Impertech and you'll see how well liked the stuff is. Waaay cheaper too. On eBay I paid $51 for the jacket and $40 for the pants. For that price it's worth a try right.

Like I said though... for my other clothes... Sitka rocks.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Fridaythe13th » 12 23, 2014 •  [Post 8]

I won't pay that much for clothes, but keep a eye on CAMOFIRE they have been running deals all month
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby Indian Summer » 12 24, 2014 •  [Post 9]

Sitka is about to come out with a new camo pattern. So they are unloading all of the previous stuff. Also I have heard of a lot of people selling their Sitka to replace it with the new pattern which is a treestand/whitetail geared one. So I've been seeing some in website classifieds and on eBay too.

Even though I do love the stuff I have to admit if I didn't get the outfitters discount I probably wouldn't have ever bought any. But now that I did there's no doubt I'm hooked. I have some Sitka merino base layers but the Core 4 Element is perfectly fine for bases too. I could never go back to other types of outerwear and layers. If I ever completely destroyed my Sitka and couldn't afford to replace it I think I'd just have to hunt naked. So you could also buy my camera and Clip-Shot in the classifieds too. :lol:
Indian Summer

Postby ohio boy » 12 24, 2014 •  [Post 10]

I was also checking out the KUIU gear. It seems a little cheaper and gets good reviews also. I seen they have a couple new items you can pre-order now that will be coming out in '15. Im sure its all nice tho.
ohio boy

Postby Indian Summer » 12 24, 2014 •  [Post 11]

Same thing basically. Both companies were started by the same guy so that's no surprise. I prefer the Sitka myself. My partner last year really liked his new KUIU.
Indian Summer