Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Elknut Moose Chuckler?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Elknut Moose Chuckler?

Postby Indian Summer » 12 28, 2014 •  [Post 1]

CTDad this may interest you.

Just as the Elknut Chuckler is a popular and effective calling tube the tube of choice for moose calling is called the Bull Magnet. It is basically a large funnel made of fiberglass. The mouth end is large enough to put to your ear to help you hear the subtle sounds moose make better. You can fill the Bull Magnet with water and then let it drain in the lake or river to simulate the sound of a cow moose urinating in the water. It is also very heavy walled so it can withstand the abuse of beating it and raking it on trees to make a sound like a bull thrashing trees and willows. It sounds great.

This morning I was organizing some hunting gear and I picked up my Chuckler tube. It dawned on me that there's no reason I can't use that to call moose too. So I tried it a few times. Sold! It has a totally different sound than the Magnet. I think both will have their place and as any elk or turkey caller knows mixing it up can make a big difference in getting animals to commit to coming to a call.

So then I tried some cow calls and bull grunt with the Chuckler aiming into the Bull Magnet. Wow! It made a sound that was very powerful. Deeper than deep which is sometimes the hard part when trying to sound like a huge animal such as elk and moose. I'm sure glad I tried that. I never imagined I'd be taking the Elknut Chuckler to Alaska for moose but it just made the gear list. I hope to be the first hunter to have a photo of a big bull moose with a Chuckler tube in the pic!
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Re: Elknut Moose Chuckler?

Postby ctdad » 12 28, 2014 •  [Post 2]

Interesting. I've found the Hunt I want to do for moose. Now I'm looking for a solid partner
ctdad

Re: Elknut Moose Chuckler?

Postby Indian Summer » 12 29, 2014 •  [Post 3]

Hmm, maybe mine will be interested. I have a different partner already for my next hunt. I have a friend here that just told me he wished he had known I was planning a hunt too. About 5 years ago he and I had plans and even bought licenses but the hunt never happened.

Shoot me a message about where you're going. I'm curious. Maybe I can help in one way or another.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro