Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

hot dam! going hog hunting tomorrow!!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

hot dam! going hog hunting tomorrow!!

Postby pointysticks » 01 10, 2015 •  [Post 1]

just shot my bow all morning and am feeling pretty positive about my skills. 60 yards and under, totally in my wheelhouse.

i called a buddy to say hi. he was bumming about how he is broke, having gone back to school, and wont be able to afford his private land lease. it expires in Feb. he invited me for the last horrah!! nobody has hunted it for a few months and the hog and boomer jackrabbits are back.

i cannot wait!! yeehaw!! i am actually very excited about judo tipping a jackrabbit. super difficult animals to bowshoot around here. there are not a lot of them in the areas i hunt.

going to be in the 60's tomorrow. light jacket weather.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Re: hot dam! going hog hunting tomorrow!!

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 01 10, 2015 •  [Post 2]

Sweet! Take a few pics if you can so we can share in the hunt.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: hot dam! going hog hunting tomorrow!!

Postby pointysticks » 01 12, 2015 •  [Post 3]

my camera battery died, and i left my phone in my truck when i jumped in my buddies truck.

this "ranch" was the perfect example of what can go wrong with a great hunt property. some RICH lady bought the 800 acre property. first order of business, build an awesome home on it. it looked like a magazine house. it was AWESOME!! then she put a huge fence around her house eating up about 40 acres. the rest? she bought some of those fancy cattle from africa. the Watusi cow. the ones with the freakishly HUGE horns. they have groomed the land down. there was very little grass. the hunt cabin was so "cute" she gutted it and put in a high end kitchen and bathroom. i felt like i should have taken my boots off to walk thru to use the bathroom. (i didnt). add in some small herd of horses, and we didnt see a pig. we slipped slided into some of the darkest ravines and found a single trail of hog tracks. zero deer tracks, zero turkey tracks. the ranch felt perfectly groomed. it was beautiful for sure, and i hope to get an invite to fish the stocked pond. it looks fantastic and was told it was fairly deep since she had it custom built.

we found some of the most secluded ponds..but no tracks. maybe when it get dry, the hogs will visit the limited water sources..but right now, they are scattered.

i did miss one gigantic jack rabbit when it was too dark to see my peep. haha.

and i did tweak my ankle climbing out in the pitch darkness. Dumb move since i have a deer hunt next week. hope Aleve heals me quick.

if i had that land, i would plant some food sources and get rid of the domestic animals..at least most of them.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l