Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

fuel price vs tag applicants?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Postby swmoelk » 02 26, 2015 •  [Post 1]

Do you guys forsee more guys heading west this year because of the drop in fuel prices? I realize it could double by September but after the tag fuel is my biggest expense. Just curious I say yes there will be more especially first timers.
swmoelk

First Name: jarred
Last Name: brotherton

Re: fuel price vs tag applicants?

Postby razorback » 02 26, 2015 •  [Post 2]

I personally don't think so. Reason being is fuel prices are so unpredictable and you have to start your elk budget well in advance of September. At least that's how I do it so I just figure fuel prices at the highest possible rate.
"Never quit. It is the easist cop-out in the world. Set a goal and don't quit until you attain it. When you do attain it, set another goal, and don't quit until you reach it. Never quit"-Bear Bryant
razorback

First Name: Steven
Last Name: Burch

Postby Fridaythe13th » 02 26, 2015 •  [Post 3]

I'm with razorback, We have 6 people that go 3 per truck, yes if elk hunting started today I would maybe save $100 on the trip, which is a lot of money in my book. The tag is around $600 so I don't think $100 buck well make or break the trip. If it is cheaper gas :D I well spend the extra on gear or maybe rid-eyes steak every night at camp.
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby ElkNut1 » 02 27, 2015 •  [Post 4]

It could affect decisions but not if you're a die hard ElkNut, I don't care if it's 10.00 a gallon! :D

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Indian Summer » 02 27, 2015 •  [Post 5]

I don't think it has any affect at all. License price is the biggest cost and a major factor in deciding if one can afford to hunt elk or not. Behind that comes the ability to find enough time to get away from work and home. Fuel is what it is.

And like the main Nut said... once an elk junkie decides he is going hunting nothing will stop him or her. I'd walk from Pennsylvania if I had to and call it hunt preparation.

On the other side of the coin.... cheaper fuel won't make people say hey... maybe I'll hunt elk this year if they hadn't otherwise planned to.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Ghost » 02 28, 2015 •  [Post 6]

Hmmm It has no effect on my trips out west now, but 15 or so years ago, I wouldnt have been able to justify it. 15 years ago it was roughly 750 bucks per person for two of us for the entire trip from PA to ID. Now the price is somewhere around 1600.00 per person for the two of us. It would be cheaper if my POS 2014 Chevy got anywhere near the gas mileage they claimed it did :evil:
Ghost

First Name: Cort
Last Name: A

Postby six » 03 01, 2015 •  [Post 7]

Nope. Ive gone the last 13 years. Paid as little as $2.80 a gallon and as much as $4.50 a gallon. During the year I budget for the $4 a gallon and enjoy $3 to $3.50. The cost of fuel isn't a real big concern for me when it's trip planning time. Once your hooked your hooked and pretty much go no matter what.
Elk are where you find em...
six

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Cool

Postby Indian Summer » 03 01, 2015 •  [Post 8]

Might be a little off base but to me that's like asking if the price of condoms will effect how many college people have sex. :lol:

Might have to get your "hunting" partner to pitch in but you're going no matter what!
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby ST52V » 03 03, 2015 •  [Post 9]

I like that Joe!!! We have been using an app for gas and putting most of our gas money on the Cabelas card before we go. $600-$800 pre-paid on the cabalas card and earn some points for gear. I try to stretch every dollar I can. We do the same with our tags. One trip and you can have a new cook stove, lantern, or a lot of socks. Every little bit helps!!
ST52V

First Name: Robin
Last Name: Wise

Postby Fridaythe13th » 03 23, 2015 •  [Post 10]

I was thinking about this question for a little while. It might spring a few rookies out in the woods. Not the seasoned mountain men/women who would go if it was $5 or $10 fuel because they are truly Elknuts. But the first year I went, I spend hours calculating fuel price, cabin and tag and how much it added to the trip. The group wanted a guess-ta-ment on what the trip would cost to get permission from there spouse or a peace of mind for themselves. I come up with a cost of around $1000 with the current fuel price of that time (2004), tag, cabin and a little extra spending money. The total trip cost me $937.
I hope the prices stay reasonable to fire up some new recruits. It only take 1 trip and the price of fuel is pretty low on the trip agenda.
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby Lefty » 03 24, 2015 •  [Post 11]

I will say the past few years gas prices changed how fast I drove to hunt. (resident tag). We had a tight budget that year.
My F-150 at $4.00 gas, I slowed down from 83 mph to 60mph. It saved about $15.00 a hunt. and that year I stretched the budget the best we could ,.. Gas price did cut down on scouting for geese and a couple fewer trips bear hunting
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby pointysticks » 03 26, 2015 •  [Post 12]

ElkNut1 wrote:It could affect decisions but not if you're a die hard ElkNut, I don't care if it's 10.00 a gallon! :D

ElkNut1

Big talk from the guy that hunts out the back door. :). Haha.

$10 would hurt. I'd hunt out of a Prius. :D
As it stands, I try to find a passenger for my ride. 50% split is a huge difference.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l