Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Know anything about Mississippi?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Know anything about Mississippi?

Postby Freebird134 » 03 11, 2015 •  [Post 1]

I might be taking a job in Mississippi. Anyone know anything about the state? I'd be in Starkville.
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Re: Know anything about Mississippi?

Postby mottlet » 03 12, 2015 •  [Post 2]

Lived in Mississippi until I was 25. Still consider it "home." Actually born in Starkville, but never really lived there. Assume you're looking at a job at the university? What do you want to know?
mottlet

Postby Freebird134 » 03 13, 2015 •  [Post 3]

Hi mottlet: just trying to learn as much as I can. No specific question. It will be a big change for us (I'm from Idaho, my wife from Florida, but we live in Wisconsin now).

Any tips on good hunting spots or things to do/avoid?
Freebird134

Postby mottlet » 03 13, 2015 •  [Post 4]

Oooh...Idaho and Wisconsin, huh? Well, first of all, you're gonna be hot. The heat and humidity will take some getting used to for sure.

From Starkville, you won't be far at all from some excellent deer and turkey hunting. A little bit of driving west to the delta will put you into some excellent duck hunting. Unfortunately, the public land situation down there is nothing like the West. A deer/turkey lease around Starkville or somewhere in that eastern part of the state probably wouldn't break the bank if you're interested in going that route. I am happy to share what little I remember about a few public spots via PM if you're interested.

Mississippi's still pretty small town. Tupelo will be your closest "big" town. To get to a decent sized city, you'll have to head south to Jackson, east to Birmingham, or northwest to Memphis. All have their own attractions. I grew up in Vicksburg, went to college in Jackson, and grad school in Oxford. Have kin in Meridian. So I've toured the state pretty well. Partly because I was just younger then, partly because I grew up somewhere different, I always was interested in checking out the big city and all the fun that could be had there. Now that I've moved away and live in the big city (DC) and love parts of that life, I do just kinda wish I could be somewhere a little quieter with a little more space! Story old as time.

Anyway, if you're into hunting and fishing, you should be fine. Mississippi is blessed with some excellent opportunities for that. Holler if you have any questions about anything and I'll do my best to help you out!
mottlet

Postby razorback » 03 13, 2015 •  [Post 5]

Been there once for a football game. Get used to cowbells :lol: Great people down there, that's where I'm hoping my son goes to college!
"Never quit. It is the easist cop-out in the world. Set a goal and don't quit until you attain it. When you do attain it, set another goal, and don't quit until you reach it. Never quit"-Bear Bryant
razorback

First Name: Steven
Last Name: Burch

Postby easeup » 03 13, 2015 •  [Post 6]

one thing I got while working over there some is a common expression I found funny( to me anyway)

When guys are talking something over and one is stating his observations about any subject it is common around most places that people listening will occasionally chime in the story line with uh huh sound ( as in agreement or I understand) or OK while the speaker continues his discussion.
Over there in MS/LA you wont hear the guys saying uh huh or OK , but they will use the term "that's right" in place of uh huh (as in agreement or I understand).
easeup

Postby Freebird134 » 03 27, 2015 •  [Post 7]

I can handle cowbells :) I hear tailgating is a lot of fun during home games. I'd rather be moving west and closer to Idaho, but other than the hot/humid summers, Mississippi seems like a great place to live. Looking forward to arrowing some hogs and maybe a gator!
Freebird134

Postby Sean D. » 05 07, 2015 •  [Post 8]

I have a lease just south of Starkville, lots of pigs, turkeys, deer, well pretty much everything except elk! pm me with any questions!
Sean D.

First Name: Sean
Last Name: D

Postby Freebird134 » 05 10, 2015 •  [Post 9]

Sean D. wrote:I have a lease just south of Starkville, lots of pigs, turkeys, deer, well pretty much everything except elk! pm me with any questions!

Thanks! Will do!
Freebird134

Postby bowpackerrob » 06 03, 2015 •  [Post 10]

I live the next state over in Arkansas. Ditto on the hot humid weather but excellent deer, turkey, duck and squirrel hunting and long liberal seasons except for turkey here. I ran 3 miles earlier and it felt like I was at altitude due to the humidity right now. Nothing like 90 degree heat and 80% humidity to get ready for elk season in.
bowpackerrob

First Name: Robbie
Last Name: Crocker