Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

How much land?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

How much land?

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 23, 2015 •  [Post 1]

Sooo, Mrs. Phantom and I are continuing our discussion of a potential, final retirement location move from WA to "probably" MT or ID (there are some other locations in the discussion, but N ID and NW MT are closer to my remaining family in the Big Sky State). We're starting to look at various homes on timbered property. Price of home and land dependent, I'm thinking 10 (minimum) up to 20 acres would be ideal. Thoughts?
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: How much land?

Postby Lefty » 03 23, 2015 •  [Post 2]

Ive bought four homes in 35 years. Each time We bought what " We wanted", not what what was for sale.
My last three homes my realtors said I had the thickest files they've had in years. All their fault. I told them our parameters and they kept showing us homes that were not in our description. Maybe it isn't the 10 acres or the twenty that is so important.
Is it about privacy , wildlife access, public land access? no neighbors!, safety?

We lived in Clark County Wa. I wanted a place with a little space and privacy . We found 2 acres tucked in 40-100 year old timber and neighboring properties were larger. An over the hill 600 foot driveway gave us the secluded feeling. We could walk to church, school was close, Cub foods 2 miles away my wifes job was 3 miles and my commute was 13 minutes
Our house in Utah, we wanted a good place for our kids to grow yet reasonably close to hunting for me. A little town close to church and school. I could hook the boat to the ATV to duck hunt or take off from the house to hunt deer or ATV. And city shooting ranges. Take our young kids, duck or deer hunting and trapping and never be two miles from home Small town living at its best

My point is: know what you want, Unless your getting cows my guess is it isn't the size of the acreage that is important.
Currently our life is driven by what out adult daughters will do. If they stick around, so will we. Otherwise, see ya in Montana ;) :D
D
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby wawhitey » 03 23, 2015 •  [Post 3]

Took me over a year to find the right place. The more acreage the better, but as was said before, location and what surrounds your land is also important. I have 20.6 acres, almost all wooded, and full of animals. I have one house i can see to the east of me, with one person living there. East of her is one more house, then miles of state land. To my west and south is a 223 acre chunk of woods with no house. Its just a hunting property for an old man (whose name appears in the b&c whitetail book, as does his nephews.) West of his land is a few farms. To my north across the road is a couple living on a large chunk, then more miles of state land. All in all i get a lot of privacy, quiet and wildlife for only having 20 acres.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby chipick » 03 25, 2015 •  [Post 4]

I have learned that a happy wife is a happy life,so with that said I told her that I wouldn't look at any thing if it didn't have what I wanted, a shop of decent size. I got my shop and I have timber land around me and in-laws within 2miles ain't bad. my elk grounds 20 min away
chipick