Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Lightning "can" strike twice

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Lightning "can" strike twice

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 23, 2015 •  [Post 1]

This occurred less than a mile from where I work on Joint Base Lewis McChord, WA. It is the exact area that I ruck up and hike after work to get my elk legs in shape. I'm glad Bob is OK but holy heck, talk about some bad luck...... "twice", in the same area.

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/Man- ... =video&c=y
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Lightning "can" strike twice

Postby Elkduds » 04 23, 2015 •  [Post 2]

I'd say he bearly survived. There is a spray for that.
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby ishy » 04 24, 2015 •  [Post 3]

What a worthless dog! When I was guiding we had a twenty pound cattle dog that would love to take on bears, she was amazing. First chance she would sneak up on them while they watched all the stock a get a good bite usually into the backside, then the barking would take over and she would tree them by herself.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby Fridaythe13th » 04 24, 2015 •  [Post 4]

This made the local radio station in Minnesota. "To old to fight bears" thats a little funny
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby Lefty » 04 26, 2015 •  [Post 5]

If Washington still allowed hound hunting even little yap dogs smaller than 20 lb cattle dogs would be treeing bears.
Washington state politics are so wildlife stupid
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby elk.addict » 04 30, 2015 •  [Post 6]

RJ, not sure how long you've been at McCord/Lewis, but do you remember an incident back in the mid-late 90's when a soldier went elk hunting and got lost in the Packwood area? Anyhow, he made it out ok (I think S&R might have found him). Well he went out again (it may have been the following year) and the next time he was attacked by a cougar (survived).

Some people just have crappy luck in the woods.
elk.addict

Postby elk.addict » 04 30, 2015 •  [Post 7]

ishy wrote:What a worthless dog! When I was guiding we had a twenty pound cattle dog that would love to take on bears, she was amazing. First chance she would sneak up on them while they watched all the stock a get a good bite usually into the backside, then the barking would take over and she would tree them by herself.

I came across a grizz while backpacking (a big one too). I have 2 80lb dogs that took off after it when it ran off. They would have got their butts kicked, but I admired them for trying :) Fortunately, I was able to call them off the chase.
elk.addict

Postby huntfishtrap247 » 04 30, 2015 •  [Post 8]

I may have found a different trail after the first time...
huntfishtrap247

First Name: Paul
Last Name: P

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 01, 2015 •  [Post 9]

elk.addict wrote:RJ, not sure how long you've been at McCord/Lewis, but do you remember an incident back in the mid-late 90's when a soldier went elk hunting and got lost in the Packwood area? Anyhow, he made it out ok (I think S&R might have found him). Well he went out again (it may have been the following year) and the next time he was attacked by a cougar (survived).

Some people just have crappy luck in the woods.

I don't remember hearing about that. I was at Lewis 87-91, off to Korea for a year, back to Lewis through 96, then off to east coast for 3 years. I remember the NW Adventure center on post used to take groups of Soldiers to Packwood GMU for an annual elk hunt. Wonder if he was part of that group?
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ