Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Brave Park Ranger

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Brave Park Ranger

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 11, 2015 •  [Post 1]

I think this is a few years old but still pretty amazing. Kudos for the ranger. Looks like that poor bull was exhausted; heck, he let the ranger pet him like a horse :shock:. Sure could have turned out a lot worse.

WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Brave Park Ranger

Postby vertical limit » 05 11, 2015 •  [Post 2]

We had a similar situation to this during last year's deer season (muzzleloader). We came up on a 5-point elk tangled in a barbed wire fence. At first he was really fighting the fence trying to get out. When we would get close, he would freak out. I was afraid he was going to hurt himself further so we let him be and called game and fish. Their reply was that they would get someone out there when they could (probably to euthanize him). We let him be for a few hours. When we came back down the mountain later that day, he was still there but laying down. Clearly he was exhausted. My buddy and I approached him slowly and were able to get within about 5 feet of him on each side, where we cut the wire loose. He just laid there. After about 20 minutes of watching him, he got up and slowly walked off into the distance. He looked back just as he went out of sight. It was a surreal experience being that close to an animal in distress. We felt as if he were saying thank you with his look back at us as he disappeared. Might sound cheesy, but true.
vertical limit

Postby Elkduds » 05 11, 2015 •  [Post 3]

Vert: Good man! Your gesture shines a bright light on 2 truths that keep me heading out every fall. First, hunting is much more about conservation than killing. Second, the minds and lives of elk are far more complex than we will ever know. Absolutely capable of emotions like relief and perhaps gratitude.
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby Lefty » 05 12, 2015 •  [Post 4]

Ive cut an antelope buck out of a fence, lifted a deer out of a concrete tube, A drake gw real from a steel tube, a weasel out of a well, Im sure there were more
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby GobbleFarmer » 05 12, 2015 •  [Post 5]

Thats awesome vert. and lefty, and those anti's think we just kill everything :evil: .

Phantom: I have seen this vid before, super cool, though if it had hard bone on it's head and in rut I think the situation would have been more eventful. :!: :shock:
“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.” ~ Benjamin Franklin.
GobbleFarmer