Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Achilles issues

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Achilles issues

Postby Tigger » 06 23, 2015 •  [Post 1]

Does anyone have problems with their Achilles? I am battling mine big time. I have a small lump (probably tendonitis) on each one and they are almost always sore. Doesn't seem to get worse with use and doesn't get better with rest. I have tried stretching, calf strengthening, icing, and ibuprofen. Nothing seems to help, nothing makes it a lot worse.
Tigger

Re: Achilles issues

Postby Charina » 06 23, 2015 •  [Post 2]

I have Achilles issues, but not like yours. My issue is soreness at the connection to the heel. It certainly sounds like you have tendonitis in the tendon, and a Dr visit might be in order if it won't self-resolve.

Have you tried altering your footwear to provide more arch support? A flatter foot without good arch support puts more stress on the tendon, and can continue to aggravate the issue. A good arch insert helped alleviate a good portion of the issues I was experiencing.
Charina

Postby Tigger » 06 23, 2015 •  [Post 3]

Thanks Charina, I forgot to list that. I had purchased good inserts with really no effect.
Tigger

Postby pointysticks » 06 23, 2015 •  [Post 4]

you see a doc yet? my visit to a foot doctor changed my life. he showed me some stretches, gave me a brace..left me with the means to heal myself.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Tigger » 06 25, 2015 •  [Post 5]

Just went to the PT today. I wasn't stretching long enough and he gave me some new stretches. Said my heel cord needed lengthening. I think I am on the right track now.
Tigger

Postby CurlyTail » 06 25, 2015 •  [Post 6]

You need this "miracle" device

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KAEJ3W2/ref=s9_top_hd_bw_g200_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-2&pf_rd_r=0V9PDNQ0JFJPZ58T12D2&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=2071197882&pf_rd_i=3407871

Roll the achilles tendon back and forth on this beast and it will stretch and massage like nothing else.

Also, you will have better luck with heel cups than arch support. Heel cups raise the heel, which effectively shortens the achilles tendon, reducing stress with use. If you put a heel cup in one shoe, put it in both.

Good luck, as these types of problems tend to recur periodically throughout life.
CurlyTail

First Name: Jim
Last Name: B.

Postby Tigger » 06 26, 2015 •  [Post 7]

Yep, the PT said no arch support, I am fine there. Tender today, but went for a nice short hike last night with no problems. Good stretch today. feeling like I might outrun Cam Haynes here pretty quick. Someone get word to him that I might pass him in the next race....

if I was driving my truck :o :D !
Tigger

Postby zpd307 » 07 12, 2015 •  [Post 8]

I hurt my right Achilles 2 years ago starting the running season with old shoes. this is the first running season that it hasn't bothered me, in 3.....
zpd307

First Name: gary
Last Name: s