Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

New 1/2 Ton Truck?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

New 1/2 Ton Truck?

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 25, 2015 •  [Post 1]

Sooo, Mrs. Phantom wants me to get a real truck. I love my little Tacoma but really, it's not that great for hauling or pulling, but it is great on high mountain raods (grin). If you had the green light to get a new 1/2 ton, which would you choose and why? Ford F-150, Dodge Ram 1500, or a Chevy Silverado. Thanks guys (and gals). RJN
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: New 1/2 Ton Truck?

Postby foxvalley » 06 25, 2015 •  [Post 2]

Toyota Tundra. ;)
foxvalley

First Name: doug
Last Name: houghton

Postby Fridaythe13th » 06 26, 2015 •  [Post 3]

I looked at ford & Chevy....

Ford
More of a tow package. I have a 27' travel trailer

Chevy
Better gas mileage
Rides a little bit smoother (to me)

Why I bought my 2014 Ford 150 XLT
$5200 difference and the Ford MSRP was $500 more
Chevy dealer: you meet with the sales person then owner had to test drive my old truck and he sat at his desk punching in numbers for an hour and ten min. later they came out with the ridicules price and want to start the battle back and forth. I told him he was $6000 to high according to NADA guide on my truck and rebates from chevy. Walk out the door knowing he was gonna call me back the next day, of course the next day he called to tell me about the used market he had :lol:

Ford dealer: this is how it went I walk in to a small town dealer gave the salesman my keys and asked him if I could look at this F-150 he gave me those keys we did our thing, met 20 min later he told me what the price was on mine and the price he had to have I tried talking him down $800 to make me feel better about my self, in the end I got a bug visor and mudflaps and a handshake. $5200 less than Chevy

I told the ford dealer about my experience with this particular chevy dealer he handed me a piece of paper with all the local dealers and how many vehicle each deal sold for the previous month. This Ford dealer 134, chevy 8 .

Very long story short. I went in to buy a chevy because of gas mileage and comfort. Very happy with the ford because of price and dealership. And the bonus of it is a sweet ride, I won't let the wife drive it yet. :D
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby pointysticks » 06 26, 2015 •  [Post 4]

I wouldn't buy any new half ton without testing the dodge with the new Eco diesel. The Nissan Titan diesel is coming out anytime as well. Met a guy at a gas station in the middle of nowhere in AZ. He was ranting on just getting 30 mpg. Ridiculous.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby CurlyTail » 06 26, 2015 •  [Post 5]

I have a new F-150 with the ecoboost engine and could not be happier. Supercrew - the back seat is amazing, room to carry 3 passengers comfortably even on a long trip, and the seats fold up and out of the way with no effort at all. The floor on the back seat is totally flat and useable unlike every other vehicle I have owned. Just don't get the interior package with the subwoofer that ruins the utility of the back seat area. The ride and climate control is easily the most comfortable vehicle I have ever owned - feels like a luxury sedan rather than a truck. Heated seats, cooled seats - nice! That said, is has more acceleration and towing power than any vehicle I haved owned. Mileage is decent 16.5 city and 19 hwy. I like the FX4 package for looks and off road capability. I also like a locking differential to get out of a bad spot on occasion. I would give the F-150 Fx4 Supercrew a good look.
CurlyTail

First Name: Jim
Last Name: B.

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 26, 2015 •  [Post 6]

Well, I think the choice has been made. Mrs. Phantom and I are heading in to the dealer tomorrow and probably taking the Tacoma on it's last ride (with us)... :'(. After much digging, pricing, a bit of car lot browsing, and reading comments and recommendations... I think we're gonna get this one. Thanks to all for your comments and input.. really appreciated. Now, to take it out and get it dirty ;)

10898633929x950.jpg
10898633929x950.jpg (59.6 KiB) Viewed 2650 times
WapitiTalk1

Postby Deafirishman » 06 26, 2015 •  [Post 7]

Good choice RJ !! Don't listen to them Ford dreamers...Lol. I have seen Friday's truck and while it is nice, I will never own a Ford. Something about them that rubs me the wrong way :D I personally own a 4 door 2011 GMC 1500 Sierra. Chevy will never let you down....Best of luck in making new hunting memories with an awesome truck !
Deafirishman

First Name: Aaron

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 27, 2015 •  [Post 8]

What the heck are all these buttons fer??? Guess I better read the book.

\
IMG_2080.JPG

IMG_2081.JPG
WapitiTalk1