Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Perhaps Bad Timing/Planning?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 27, 2015 •  [Post 1]

Soooo, any of you hard core hunters have an anniversary in September? Do any of your crumb snatchers have a birthday in SEP - NOV? Do these X's on yours (or possibly more importantly your significant other's) calendar affect how you plan your fall hunting seasons? Just curious. I was married in August, almost 30 years ago, and..... have one daughter who was born in March (absolutely by design). I'm sure I'd have a conundrum if either my anniversary or daughters' B-day when she was still at home fell within any planned hunts. Anybody have the challenge of juggling hunting seasons with family events that perhaps jockey for your prime time in the elk woods? RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby 8upbowhunter » 06 27, 2015 •  [Post 2]

I am only going into my 3rd elk season but to answer your question, no. Married in April (33 years), sons birthday is Feb and daughters is November. I have missed some deer hunts for our daughters birthday but with a 4 month deer season here it's not a big deal.
8upbowhunter

Re: Perhaps Bad Timing/Planning?

Postby foxvalley » 06 27, 2015 •  [Post 3]

Thats a tough one phantom,I don't have any aniverseries etc.that I miss,but I think that question would be different as too how far away you are from home when hunting.
If you are home every nite,ie live close,you will have to have sent to them a really big present,but a million miles away,maybe not quite so big.
foxvalley

First Name: doug
Last Name: houghton

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 27, 2015 •  [Post 4]

foxvalley wrote:Thats a tough one phantom,I don't have any aniverseries etc.that I miss,but I think that question would be different as too how far away you are from home when hunting.
If you are home every nite,ie live close,you will have to have sent to them a really big present,but a million miles away,maybe not quite so big.

Sound point Fox.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Lefty » 06 28, 2015 •  [Post 5]

My wife's Birthday and our anniversary is the first week of December. We have spent a lot of those dates in a duck blind or goose pit,.. It my throw a little glitch in the evening of the birthday but it certainly doesn't mess up the who day, week or month.
One anniversary I remember going across Vancouver Lake , with my wife , two shotguns and a boat load of goose decoys, another hunt in Utah we sat in the driving snow and rain had a good shoot, I killed a bull can with a pass shot and a rocketing tailwind

Hmmm could be a problem if your not at home,..
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Ben Nicholson » 06 29, 2015 •  [Post 6]

Yeah, traveling in October is pretty much out for me due to my both my wife and oldest spawn's birthday. It interferes with a my waterfowl hunting some, but September and November are wide open.
Ben Nicholson

Postby Fridaythe13th » 06 29, 2015 •  [Post 7]

Yes, this year we are celebrating Mom & Dad 50th wedding anniversary on Sept. 5. The truck is leaving after the party is over (8 PM), should be hunting Labor day morning :D My birthday is Sept 8 what a good gift to me, a large 6x6 on the ground.
My anniversary is in August (planed) not much for hunting in the month. Wife B-day April, kids March and Dec. (not planed)
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby bowhunter04 » 06 29, 2015 •  [Post 8]

My anniversary is in early August so it doesn't interfere with hunting at all. My son was born at the end of August so that hasn't interfered too much with hunting season yet. My daughter, however, was born at the beginning of October. I imagine it will affect a few hunting trips over the years. So far though, she's shown an interest in hunting so I'm hoping I can turn it into an opportunity to spend time together down the road.
bowhunter04

First Name: Jeremy
Last Name: Fischer

Postby Mike_Parson » 06 29, 2015 •  [Post 9]

this is exactally why my anniversary is in mid December. Luckly her birthday is in Mid July so it doesnt conflict with things either.....
14' Bowtech RPM 360. 29", 67#
100Gr. Ramcat Broadhead
BloodSport FPS Hunter arrows

08' Diamond Rock, 29" ,65#
100Gr. RamCat Broadhead
BloodSport FPS Hunter arrows
Mike_Parson

Postby Stick » 07 01, 2015 •  [Post 10]

Here's a gut kicker. My anniversary is Sep. 16! Killed a big bull last year on my anniversary. She actually never says much about it. She loves to eat the stuff so much I go with her blessing. Her and the three kids chill out at home! We just go celebrate before or after! :shock:
Not all who wander are lost!
Stick