Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

With a hot summer comes......

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

With a hot summer comes......

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 31, 2015 •  [Post 1]

Yellowjackets. It'll be a bad year for them in many elk states. Those little ground dwelling suckers can really ruin a good hunt. Quite a few years ago in WA, my hunting buddy suddenly started doing the blowdown jig (jumping like a gazelle over and on top of blowdown) with me watching in amazement but I kinda figured what it was. We were working into a nice herd of Rooseys with a respectable 6 point and my buddy was crawling in as I was but suddently, he felt a sting or bite on his knee... lifting up his knee, here they came out in a stream. Hundreds of the little suckers nailed him numerous times. No bueno.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: With a hot summer comes......

Postby ElkNut1 » 08 01, 2015 •  [Post 2]

Oh ya, they are terrible this year for sure. I have my Benadryl with me for sure! I'm one of the guys who's allergic to those little bastards! (grin)

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby GobbleFarmer » 08 01, 2015 •  [Post 3]

OOOOOOOOOOOH, sorry to hear that Elknut, that must suck. I get called to the neighbors usually once a year to poor gasoline down lella jacket nests, in the middle of the night there is very little resistance and they are all in the nest so problem solved! In the woods? Thats a problem if ya find 'em while hunting! And now that you mention in, I have noticed an increased number of all kinds of wasps around here. :evil:
“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.” ~ Benjamin Franklin.
GobbleFarmer

Postby 8upbowhunter » 08 01, 2015 •  [Post 4]

I got into a nest of them last summer while weedeating at the camp. Suckers got me 22 times before I could get away, good thing I am not allergic to them. Man they burn like fire for quite a while too.
8upbowhunter

Postby the weasel » 08 01, 2015 •  [Post 5]

It was bad last year! This year I figure twice as bad! We had one of those yellow yellowjacket traps and emptied it 3 times one day! i bet we killed over 500 jackets that day!
the weasel

First Name: john

Postby Lefty » 08 01, 2015 •  [Post 6]

Not a problem(yet) this year in SE Idaho. generally we hang 3-4 traps around the horse shed,.. no need so far this year

GobbleFarmer wrote:,.. poor gasoline down lella jacket nests, in the middle of the night there is very little resistance and they are all in the nest so problem solved! In the woods? ,.......

That is so testosterone :D As kids we loved burning any of the stinging black and yellow bugs in nests, Even more fun was watching the inexperienced "boys" ( not sure if inexperience means fire starting or number of accumulated stings :o )
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby GobbleFarmer » 08 01, 2015 •  [Post 7]

No fire necessary just about a gallon of gas and it drowns em out. I've been killing lots of those red wasps and the yellow jacket look-alikes, got stung by one of the red ones and my arm swelled up, first time I ever had a reaction. So no lefty just because we want to burn the darn things, doesn't mean it's warranted. ;)
“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.” ~ Benjamin Franklin.
GobbleFarmer

Postby elkaholic » 08 06, 2015 •  [Post 8]

Nasty bastards!!! Especially the ground ones..
Get out earlier, go farther, stay longer..KEEP HAMMERING

2014 Bowtech RPM 360 70#-MBG Ascent 3 pin
2005 Mathews Switchback 70# - MBG Rush 7 pin
elkaholic

First Name: Leland
Last Name: Stanford

Postby wawhitey » 08 06, 2015 •  [Post 9]

I was blazing a trail through my woods s few weeks ago with a blade on my weedeater. Got into a nest of them. Performed a tactical evasive maneuver, got back to the house and had a beer while they settled down. Went back out with a can of wasp spray and filled their hole. Didnt get stung once
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Tigger » 08 10, 2015 •  [Post 10]

One of my hunting buddies almost died from a sting a year ago. He had no clue he was allergic (had been stung periodically like everyone else). Scary. He will be bringing his epipen along.

One time we had them in our back yard and they were stinging us, the neighbors, etc. As soon as I found the nest, I put a leather snowmobile suit on with my helmet and duct taped it all sealed. Walked right in on them suckers and sprayed the nest. They were SOOO mad! I laughed at them. Of course my neighbors laughed at me in 90 degree heat!
Tigger

Postby GobbleFarmer » 08 10, 2015 •  [Post 11]

Thats crazy :lol: , I like my method better! :D
GobbleFarmer

Postby Elkduds » 08 10, 2015 •  [Post 12]

It doesn't say this on the label, but a good blast of knock-down wasp spray to the face will dissuade human attackers. Not sure about bears, any volunteers to test it?
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott