Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Nearly; Fresh elk burger after scouting

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Nearly; Fresh elk burger after scouting

Postby Lefty » 08 13, 2015 •  [Post 1]

Took a hike inito to the little honey hole my daughter and I plan to mulie hunt a couple days this year. At the end of the ATV trail was a sheep herder camp. My dog and I walked in about 2 miles , . While glassing I saw one buck,.. back where we had walked in. Just too far to tell size.. Then we came up on a band of sheep. Then a sheep dog. We kind of skirted around the dog. Most of my interactions with sheep dogs,.. is , well ,,,,, they aren't friendly. This dog ignored us.
On they way out in the evening the fellow seemed to want us a company and followed us back to the ATV.

Just to the left of the sun a kid took a 396 bull three years back. ;) The kids story was on the cover of Eastmans BHJ

IMG_5935 (Custom).JPG
IMG_5935 (Custom).JPG (49.18 KiB) Viewed 1253 times

And Happy the dog. When we got back to the sheep herders camp. It was apparent that "Happy" didnt work well or at all with the other dogs. I dont even think he belonged to that sheep herder.
IMG_5938 (Custom).JPG
IMG_5938 (Custom).JPG (61.48 KiB) Viewed 1253 times

Back to burgers.
A slow drive home, Two cows and two calves jumped out on the road. I stood on the brakes, My dog slammed into the dash. For a moment I expected an elk on my hood, Im not sure what was going on but the elk wouldnt leave the road.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Nearly; Fresh elk burger after scouting

Postby GobbleFarmer » 08 13, 2015 •  [Post 2]

Thats a beefy looking great pyrenees, BIG white love bugs (at least ours are)! Pretty country. I'm glad you didn't squash an elk! :o
“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.” ~ Benjamin Franklin.
GobbleFarmer

Re: Nearly; Fresh elk burger after scouting

Postby elkaholic » 08 16, 2015 •  [Post 3]

Neat country Lefty. Elk opener will be here before we know it
Get out earlier, go farther, stay longer..KEEP HAMMERING

2014 Bowtech RPM 360 70#-MBG Ascent 3 pin
2005 Mathews Switchback 70# - MBG Rush 7 pin
elkaholic

First Name: Leland
Last Name: Stanford