Idaho hunt law

Postby flatlander507 » 08 17, 2015 •  [Post 1]

http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/public/doc ... bgLaws.pdf

Definition of Hunting:

"Hunting means chasing, driving, flushing, attracting, pursuing,
worrying, following or on the trail of, shooting at, stalking, or
lying in wait for any wildlife whether or not such wildlife is
then subsequently captured, killed, taken or wounded."

My brother emailed IDFG to verify if he needed to buy only a hunting license and not a tag, in order to come along during my archery hunt and help call and pack out if I got something down. They replied back saying he needed to buy a tag also, even if he wasn't using a weapon. That's fair in my book, but it brings up a few questions:

1. How do TV shows do it? All the camera guys have tags also? What about controlled hunts?

2. What about when a guy tags out and helps his buddy by calling in elk? Since he no longer has a tag wouldn't this be considered a violation?
flatlander507

Re: Idaho hunt law

Postby Indian Summer » 08 17, 2015 •  [Post 2]

They left out the words "with a weapon" No weapon no license needed. Half the guides in this country don't have a hunting license. Filming on National Forest requires a permit.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby flatlander507 » 08 17, 2015 •  [Post 3]

here is the reply he got back:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 2:05 PM
Subject: RE: WEB SITE - email
To: blahblah@anon.com

If you will be chasing, driving, flushing, attracting, pursuing, worrying, following or on the trail of, shooting at, stalking, or lying in wait for any wildlife whether or not such wildlife is then subsequently captured, killed, taken or wounded, you will need to have a hunting license and elk tag. Even if you do not carry a weapon, these activities constitute hunting. If you will not be doing these things to assist another hunter you do not need to have a license and tag.
flatlander507

Postby GobbleFarmer » 08 17, 2015 •  [Post 4]

Your bro can just follow you. If he is following you than he's not chasing, driving, flushing, or pursuing, he doesn't have to worry about the animal he can just worry about you taking an elk, he'll be following or on the trail of you, if he does not have a weapon than he won't be shooting at, stalking, or lying in wait for any wildlife whether or not such wildlife is then subsequently captured, killed, taken or wounded. <- If he doesn't have a weapon than he can't do these last three things, and he'd need a trap to capture something. In my opinion, him having to have a license is questionable, but needing a tag is way over the top! Especially if your bro has no way of killing an animal (except for his bare hands I guess).

The only thing thats valid is if he is calling than he would be attracting game animals. but than would that make it poaching if someone made a cow mew or bugle out of season? Than you cannot try a locator bugle the day before the season opens?
“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.” ~ Benjamin Franklin.
GobbleFarmer

Postby flatlander507 » 08 18, 2015 •  [Post 5]

It's not a big deal anymore, brother couldn't make it out anyways. Then a day later he got the reply back from IDFG. I've been hunting solo since I've moved to Idaho, havent had to actually analyze that portion of the law until now. Just interpreting it like anyone else would.

I agree, needing a tag seems over the top. The calling aspect seems valid though, but you would think the hunting license covers that.
flatlander507

Postby Elkduds » 08 18, 2015 •  [Post 6]

Holy canoli, what a jacked-up rule. Do they enforce that? No such rule in CO that I know of. That rule just takes the last donut.
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby ElkNut1 » 08 18, 2015 •  [Post 7]

No hunting license needed to follow along, he's not hunting or carrying a bow or rifle, sidearm is ok for protection. It's nice to have a permit for it though.

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby flatlander507 » 08 18, 2015 •  [Post 8]

Thanks for the responses

just found this: https://fishandgame.idaho.gov/content/q ... ng-license
flatlander507

Postby DirtyErn » 08 19, 2015 •  [Post 9]

Food for thought. What about all the " non" hunters, hikers that pursue, lay n wait, etc to get that perfect picture of the same animals we have are paying fees for.
DirtyErn

First Name: Ernie
Last Name: O