Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

hey ID residents! got badgers?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

hey ID residents! got badgers?

Postby wawhitey » 08 24, 2015 •  [Post 1]

So i dont have a trapping license, or know jack about trapping. Which means i cant get a badger in washington. Ever since seeing a big ole bastard with his winter coat while deer hunting in SE WA about 20 years ago ive really wanted to get a badger and have it mounted. From reading the idaho regs i think theyre legal to shoot there. Would any of you idaho guys be able to get me access to some good badger country next time i head that way? Cant hurt to ask
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Re: hey ID residents! got badgers?

Postby jmez » 08 25, 2015 •  [Post 2]

It isn't really practical to hunt them. They are nocturnal and you rarely see them in the daytime. They are easy to trap if you know an area where they live. You would be better off contacting a trapper and buying a pelt from him.
jmez

First Name: jason
Last Name: mez

Postby Huntrgathr » 08 25, 2015 •  [Post 3]

All kinds of Badgers here. We usually get one or two a year while out popping " whistle pigs" ( it's an Idaho thing). I'd be happy to share some spots with you if you're coming to Southern Idaho. Just shoot me a PM.
Huntrgathr

Postby Lefty » 08 25, 2015 •  [Post 4]

Idaho really has a limited badger population. They need a bit more moisture to be successful. Early trapping it wasnt uncommon to catch 3 -4 badgers a day in the Dakotas or eastern Wy.
When badgers were $100 plus after a snow a SD hunter/trapper drove the small roads glassing for fresh diggings and tracks, he either set the digging or tracked down and shot the badger,
Literally a 8 foot pickup bed heaped as high as the carcasses stacked
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby wawhitey » 08 25, 2015 •  [Post 5]

Huntrgathr wrote:All kinds of Badgers here. We usually get one or two a year while out popping " whistle pigs" ( it's an Idaho thing). I'd be happy to share some spots with you if you're coming to Southern Idaho. Just shoot me a PM.

Ill give you a holler when i head over for sure. We call ground squirrels whistle pigs here too. Popped a few from inside my house this summer, they decided to move into my back yard, about 10-15 yards from my house. Not too smart. Speaking of squirrels, had an interesting experience today. Here is a copy/paste of a text i sent my brother about it. Saves me some typing.

So ive been gone for a month and found a religious pamphlet on my door. I did the obvious thing, threw it in my wood stove. When i opened the door to the stove there was a funky ass smell, which was coming from a dead flying squirrel. Little bugger must have flown off a treetop onto my chimney and decided it would be fun to crawl in and die of dehydration. Somehow a colony of giant black and orange carrion beetles found him and decided it would be awesome to crawl out of the stove when i opened the door. I promptly slammed the door in their little beetle faces after removing the flying squirrel carcass with my ash shovel, but i cant burn them due to the burn ban. Wonder how long theyll be crawling around in there before they die? And what manner of vermin will find and eat them?
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey