Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

First Aid Everyone

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

First Aid Everyone

Postby Passin Thru » 08 28, 2015 •  [Post 1]

I'm a member of a fire dept. Everyone have CPR and a BBP (Blood Borne Pathogens) class. Most likely candidate for hear attack is someone from the flatlands hunting at 9-12K. If you are alone and a snake bites you, immobilize the limb, most likely a leg with sticks if you are alone. Tie them to your leg, you can cutup your T or underwear, and don't try to cut the wound open and suck out the poison. You might buy a blood clot kit also. Small handy and you never know. Please just look over this site and you could save your own life. I am not soliciting for them, you can also go to the Red Cross.
http://www.ecprcertification.com/
Passin Thru

Re: First Aid Everyone

Postby Lefty » 08 28, 2015 •  [Post 2]

Past years Ive always had vet wrap , qick clot, , a small handful of hydrocodones and Benadryl in my pack, along with more comfort items, aspirin bandages, tweezers, antacids etc
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Indian Summer » 08 28, 2015 •  [Post 3]

I keep a fifth of Jim Beam in camp in case they have to dig a bullet out of me or cut off a limb. In the old westerns they always drank whiskey when any kind of first aid was needed. It's John Wayne approved.

:D
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Raghorn_Reaper » 08 28, 2015 •  [Post 4]

I recently looked over my first aid kit and had one of those snake bite kits with twine and means to suck out the venom. Needless to say I removed it. I dont think it would have worked. What are you guys carrying in your kit? I am all for a somewhat robust backcountry kit. Whiskey definitely gets the nod. It has many purposes.
Raghorn_Reaper

Postby Indian Summer » 08 30, 2015 •  [Post 5]

Neosporin and band aids. That's it. Flagging tape is really handy and I always keep plenty of it. It stretches so you can wrap it over a band aid to apply pressure for serious bleeding. it will also secure a splint really well.

To me the most likely emergencies are bleeding and broken bones and that covers both. If I was going to carry one other thing it would be a needle and material for stitches such as floss.

I know this sounds stupid or ridiculous because nobody plans an accident but: DONT GET HURT!!! I'm very careful out there. The older you get the more seriously you take that. Do not take risks. Be careful when you pull out knives to dress elk. Shaking hands and Havalon Pirantas do not mix! When I was younger I swear I cut myself at least a little every time I dressed elk. Haven't done that in a long time.
Indian Summer

Postby idahoghost » 08 30, 2015 •  [Post 6]

My personal belief is that students should not be allowed to graduate high school without first passing 1st Aid & CPR training.
idahoghost

First Name: Larry
Last Name: Hill

Postby Indian Summer » 08 30, 2015 •  [Post 7]

idahoghost wrote:My personal belief is that students should not be allowed to graduate high school without first passing 1st Aid & CPR training.

I would agree with that. it is so quick and easy to teach. They should learn young and do a refresher every year.

ABC.... airway, breathing, circulation.
Indian Summer

Postby Lefty » 08 30, 2015 •  [Post 8]

Indian Summer wrote:I know this sounds stupid or ridiculous because nobody plans an accident but: DONT GET HURT!!! I'm very careful out there. The older you get the more seriously you take that. Do not take risks. .

As I have gotten older the more I realize how careful I need to be.
Unfortunately I was not as careful as I should be as I gained cell service in the area.

Two years ago a tire blew out on my truck on the way to camp, I had a single spare tire that trip. I recognized I was 30 miles to the nearest ranch house.

Im also still under threat from my wife she made the first year we were married. " Im going to kill you,. if you die doing something stupid"
Lefty

Postby Lefty » 08 30, 2015 •  [Post 9]

Indian Summer wrote:
idahoghost wrote:My personal belief is that students should not be allowed to graduate high school without first passing 1st Aid & CPR training.

I would agree with that. it is so quick and easy to teach. They should learn young and do a refresher every year. ABC.... airway, breathing, circulation.

Pressure, if leaking,.. more pressure
If cold get warm :o

And common sence; My brother was on a college spring break canoe trip. The professor was to reluctant to call the trip when some rookies dumped their canoe and developed severe hypothermia
Lefty

Postby foxvalley » 09 01, 2015 •  [Post 10]

Plan for the worst... hope for the best.
Everyone should know basic first aid ,including where the presure points are on the body to stop severe bleeding,along with sighns of hypothermia,and dehydration.
For you newbees heading out west for the first time, bring plenty of "moleskin" for the blisters you will get on your feet,especially for the guys that just bought new boots,and are to busy to break them in....
I had to stitch myself up one year after I was in to big of hurry, and didn't bother wearing my heavy gloves on my cycle ride to one of my spots.I went down,and cut my palm on the sharp rocks.It didn't bleed,but was not a pretty sight with all the fat hanging out of the wound. :o
foxvalley

First Name: doug
Last Name: houghton