Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Hunting Antics :)

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Hunting Antics :)

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 01, 2016 •  [Post 1]

What practical jokes have you pulled on your buddies in hunting camp, on the trail, on a hunt, etc. (or had pulled on you)? Moved their tent, hid their TP, rubber snake in the foot of their sleeping bag, layed in wait by a trail in the dark and scared the wits out of them with a low growl, put a 5 pound rock in their daypack? Let's hear em :lol:
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Hunting Antics :)

Postby DBLGBL » 02 01, 2016 •  [Post 2]

Not hunting but a group of fishing buds.

1: Removed license plates from vehicle in a different state. River access was in the parking lost of prison and you had to exit via guard
2. Paid lawn service to fertilize yard weekly in early spring
3. Delivered 10 tons of gravel to driveway with instructions to dump a beginning. Uphill and no way around this.
4. Mailed wife earring from motel where we stayed previous weekend and she didn't
5. Mailed addressed envelope with "AIDS test results enclosed" stamped on outside Give your mail person a whole new outlook

Just a few of the better ones

2gbl
DBLGBL

Postby saddlesore » 02 01, 2016 •  [Post 3]

Had a young fellow in my elk camp that would not pull his load. He was the first in bed and last to get up. I took road flare that I always carried in my saddle bag and stuck a foot of cannon fuse in one end. One night when he went to bed and I had to feed all the animals,I lit that fuse, stuck my head in the tent, told him it was a 10 second fuse on a stick of dynamite and he had best get out .I then threw it on his bedroll.

We had little chat after that and the problem was cured.

I had another young cowboy in camp that we tied a rope onto the bottom of his sleeping bag and pulled some of the tent stakes up. Tied the other end to a saddle horn and when he went to bed, I mounted up and drug him out of the tent.

Don't screw with us old farts, we know a lot more about this stuff than you.
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby pointysticks » 02 01, 2016 •  [Post 4]

My friend loaned a guy his high $ jacket. We took a pic of the guy wearing (wrapped around nether region really) it commando and texted the pic to the owner. We couldn't stop laughing.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby CurlyTail » 02 01, 2016 •  [Post 5]

I must be boring - no joking around in Elk Camp. That rubber snake idea has potential however.
CurlyTail

First Name: Jim
Last Name: B.

Postby ishy » 02 01, 2016 •  [Post 6]

Back in the day (30+years ago) in southern Idaho someone skinned a bear and put it seated in an outhouse with a cowboy hat on it.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby Indian Summer » 02 01, 2016 •  [Post 7]

I have tons that me and guides pulled o other guys. But this one for a switch was on me.

So I'm walking along a pack trail about 25 miles into the Selway in Idaho. Bigfoot country you know. I'm with my brother and we're trying to hurry up a little to get to a spot before daylight. I told him for the past 15 minutes I had to stop and take a leak. He's ahead a little and so he finally stops. I go off to the side of the trail a little and start to do my thing. Well then all of the sudden, out of nowhere in the pitch black this moose starts crashing... from not even 10 feet away right by me. Nearly ran me over and I had to do more than pee when he got by me. My brother stands there laughing says he saw the moose's eyes just off the trail from his headlamp so he figured that would be a good spot to stop and have me drop my zipper.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Indian Summer » 02 01, 2016 •  [Post 8]

....... and then there was the time Phantom created a thread in the Elk Hunting Forum and I moved it to the Virtual Campfire without telling him.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Indian Summer

Postby Backyard » 02 01, 2016 •  [Post 9]

Done this a couple times;
Bring newbie from home (flatlanders) elk hunting for the first time. Get camp set up and lounging around getting acclimated to 10k ft, mention to the newbie (and everyone else is in on it too) that up here the air is thinner and it has a grave effect on the flight of your arrow, better resight your bow, its going to shoot way high now cuz there is less drag on it at this altitude .
They've all fallen for it, myself included on my first trip.
Backyard

Postby Elkduds » 02 01, 2016 •  [Post 10]

Backyard, don't forget there is also less gravity as elevation increases.

Prankwise, I'm a rocks-in-pack guy from way back. It started on a trail crew @ Black Canyon/Blue Mesa in CO, 1980. By adding a 1 lb rock every few days, we saw who never checked their pack and didn't notice the growing weight, until one guy wound up packing an extra 8 lb. He still didn't know, we had to trick him into emptying his pack before he found some nice granite specimens. My nephew got the same rock in his pack 3 years running, in 3 different places, the last year w a personalized message written on it.

If you have one of those Jimmy Buffett-types who passed out in his hammock, sew the hammock shut w fishing line and simulate rain.

A guy was overly ambitious w flatulence, as in "check this out, guys." While he was showering we smeared a melted Reese's peanut butter cup in his skivvies, simulating a seriously crunchy skid mark. He believed it :oops:

Finding bootlaces tied together while trying to exit tent urgently in the night is eye-opening.
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 01, 2016 •  [Post 11]

Indian Summer wrote:....... and then there was the time Phantom created a thread in the Elk Hunting Forum and I moved it to the Virtual Campfire without telling him. :lol: :lol: :lol:

No summer bonus for you mister. In fact, bring back the company Lear jet ASAP, it's Lefty's turn. Geesh.
WapitiTalk1

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 01, 2016 •  [Post 12]

I'm a big fan of pegging hunting partners in the back of the neck and head with fresh elk duds when they're not paying attention to obvious fresh sign. If you throw em really hard, they'll stick :)
WapitiTalk1

Postby Ponyboy_jonas » 02 01, 2016 •  [Post 13]

During target practice offer to reload the muzzleloader for the other person and purposely leave the ramrod in. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just kidding never do that. But I have seen someone accedently shoot a muzzleloader with the rod still in. This was a while ago and the guy had a scope attactched. When he fired, it kicked so hard the scope shot back and gave him a huge black eye. Lol
Ponyboy_jonas

Postby Indian Summer » 02 02, 2016 •  [Post 14]

Antics? I posted on here last night.... and now it's gone. I guess I upset the CEO.

Anyway Phantom I've been meaning to tell you, I had a little fender bender in the WT leer jet. On the runway. Nothing major. New wing is on backorder.
Indian Summer

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 02, 2016 •  [Post 15]

Indian Summer wrote:Antics? I posted on here last night.... and now it's gone. I guess I upset the CEO.

Anyway Phantom I've been meaning to tell you, I had a little fender bender in the WT leer jet. On the runway. Nothing major. New wing is on backorder.

Joe, I didn't see any other posts, just number 8 above. Maybe it's in your drafts? If I've told you once mister, I've told you a hundred times........ Captain Morgan "is not" an acceptable beverage when operating the company plane! I want that thing back, in one piece, by July... I've got some scouting to do. And please, remove all those elk head images you've painted on the side with red X's on them; it's not a dang WWII bomber!
WapitiTalk1

Postby Swede » 02 02, 2016 •  [Post 16]

The whole bunch I hunt with are a lot of jokers. My brother is the worst. Just to slow them down some, I said they need to be careful about arriving in camp unannounced, and scurrying around messing with things. My comment was that "I sleep with my pistol, so don't startle me in the night." I really don't, but I still find my arrows stuck in the truck grill or some other nonsense.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 02 02, 2016 •  [Post 17]

ishy wrote:Back in the day (30+years ago) in southern Idaho someone skinned a bear and put it seated in an outhouse with a cowboy hat on it.

Maybe the story changed. My father in law tied the bear he killed to the drivers side paws on the steering wheel of my now wifes jeep and towed it back to Preston Id Ill look for the pic.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby elkhuntfever » 03 11, 2016 •  [Post 18]

A group of us veteran hunters in our Colorado elk camp, had a newbie with us. In previous years we had become acquainted with a local and his brothers that hunted the same areas on horseback. They would always stop in camp after dark for some coffee and pie before going home for the night. The newbie hung on every word when they talked and finally mentioned he would love to ride with them one day. Being very generous, they offered to take him the next morning and invited him home with them that night. He was beside himself with anticipation as the locals left the tent and he scurried around to collect his gear. Well at least until some of us (with a twinkle in the eye) started humming the song from Deliverance. We had that boy backpedaling within minutes and sleeping on his own cot that night. :twisted:
elkhuntfever

Postby bcb10 » 04 01, 2016 •  [Post 19]

Probably the best one that I have heard came from the group that I now hunt with. It was around ten years ago close to the same time that a certain movie had come out. The group was traveling from Southeast Missouri to Colorado with two trucks with 3 or 4 guys in each pulling campers. On the way out one truck kept having other vehicles honking at them or waving and laughing at them as they went by. They had no idea why. As they were going through a town in Colorado as they were getting closer to their hunting location they stop at a stoplight and the guy in car next to them started making obscene gestures at them with his mouth. One of the hunters started to exit the truck to confront guy in the car but the light turned green and he was gone.

A little bit farther down the road they stop to get gas. As they all pile out the truck one them circles around the back of the camper and looks up and there is a big banner on the back of the camper that says "Brokeback Mountain or Bust" that guys in the other truck had put on there at the very first gas stop that they made in Missouri.
bcb10

First Name: Tommy
Last Name: Stoverink

Postby Elkduds » 04 01, 2016 •  [Post 20]

bcb10 wrote: "Brokeback Mountain or Bust"

Yee ha, ride 'em cowboy. Definitely not a "spur" of the moment gag. Hi-freaking-larious, no doubt.
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 01, 2016 •  [Post 21]

bcb10 wrote:Probably the best one that I have heard came from the group that I now hunt with. It was around ten years ago close to the same time that a certain movie had come out. The group was traveling from Southeast Missouri to Colorado with two trucks with 3 or 4 guys in each pulling campers. On the way out one truck kept having other vehicles honking at them or waving and laughing at them as they went by. They had no idea why. As they were going through a town in Colorado as they were getting closer to their hunting location they stop at a stoplight and the guy in car next to them started making obscene gestures at them with his mouth. One of the hunters started to exit the truck to confront guy in the car but the light turned green and he was gone.

A little bit farther down the road they stop to get gas. As they all pile out the truck one them circles around the back of the camper and looks up and there is a big banner on the back of the camper that says "Brokeback Mountain or Bust" that guys in the other truck had put on there at the very first gas stop that they made in Missouri.

That's just plain mean and wrong. Stored away for potential future use :D
WapitiTalk1

Postby Marshmstr » 04 02, 2016 •  [Post 22]

Phantom16 wrote:
bcb10 wrote:Probably the best one that I have heard came from the group that I now hunt with. It was around ten years ago close to the same time that a certain movie had come out. The group was traveling from Southeast Missouri to Colorado with two trucks with 3 or 4 guys in each pulling campers. On the way out one truck kept having other vehicles honking at them or waving and laughing at them as they went by. They had no idea why. As they were going through a town in Colorado as they were getting closer to their hunting location they stop at a stoplight and the guy in car next to them started making obscene gestures at them with his mouth. One of the hunters started to exit the truck to confront guy in the car but the light turned green and he was gone.

Hahahaha
Marshmstr

Postby lamrith » 04 03, 2016 •  [Post 23]

Phantom16 wrote:

Don't get any ideas there bud!
'15 Elite E35. 30.5", 67#
100Gr. G5 montecs
Sportsman's Vital Impact 300spine

http://www.pelletpeddler.com
lamrith

First Name: Larry