Bad A$$ Bunny

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 04, 2017 •  [Post 1]

Now "that's" a brave bunny......

WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Bad A$$ Bunny

Postby Charina » 04 04, 2017 •  [Post 2]

Interesting vid.

Of the several dozen jacks and cottontails my Red-tail took, and of the thousands of rabbits my dad's Harris hawks have taken, we have never seen anything of the sort as in that vid. Of course, we usually flushed the rabbits so they were on the run, and we certainly were not using Marsh hawks (which are not known to take rabbits regularly). I have never heard of anyone flying a Marsh hawk due to their hunting style, and focus on small rodents.
Charina

Postby Elkduds » 04 04, 2017 •  [Post 3]

Remember this?
"Look, that rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!"
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 04, 2017 •  [Post 4]

Elkduds wrote:Remember this?
"Look, that rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!"

Of course :D

"And the Lord spake, saying, 'First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then, shalt thou count to three. No more. No less. Three shalt be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once at the number three, being the third number be reached, then, lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in My sight, shall snuff it."
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Lefty » 04 04, 2017 •  [Post 5]

Ive watched a crow and a rabbit do the same thing, well sorta I think they were playing rough
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby wawhitey » 04 04, 2017 •  [Post 6]

Live action watership down
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby lamrith » 04 05, 2017 •  [Post 7]

Charina wrote:Interesting vid.

Of the several dozen jacks and cottontails my Red-tail took, and of the thousands of rabbits my dad's Harris hawks have taken, we have never seen anything of the sort as in that vid. Of course, we usually flushed the rabbits so they were on the run, and we certainly were not using Marsh hawks (which are not known to take rabbits regularly). I have never heard of anyone flying a Marsh hawk due to their hunting style, and focus on small rodents.

Yeah not a very common on in Falconry.

How long have you been hawking, and what area are you in? Not a very common hobby these days, not many people can handle the regiment required to keep a healthy bird. I was starting into it back in the early 90's but stepped back knowing I did not have the space or time to properly care for the bird.
'15 Elite E35. 30.5", 67#
100Gr. G5 montecs
Sportsman's Vital Impact 300spine

http://www.pelletpeddler.com
lamrith

First Name: Larry

Postby Charina » 04 05, 2017 •  [Post 8]

Mid 80's through mid 90's was my stint. That was back in OR. Started a family, and there just wasn't time after that. Perhaps someday in the future I'll follow dad's path. He had several birds in the 60's, but with family, and then a neighbor kid shooting and killing his white gyr with a bb gun, he didn't get another bird. But then I learned of falconry, and jumped in head first. Once I got in he did too. He's been back into it since late 80's until now, flying one or two Harris' the last 20 or so years. Even with one bird, he takes more than 200 rabbits a year. Could probably take 500 or more a year outside of molt season, given that many days he gets a double just while flying the bird back to the truck after the first kill. Now with the beagles, they are a formidable team.
Charina

Postby lamrith » 04 06, 2017 •  [Post 9]

Charina wrote:Mid 80's through mid 90's was my stint. That was back in OR. Started a family, and there just wasn't time after that. Perhaps someday in the future I'll follow dad's path. He had several birds in the 60's, but with family, and then a neighbor kid shooting and killing his white gyr with a bb gun, he didn't get another bird. But then I learned of falconry, and jumped in head first. Once I got in he did too. He's been back into it since late 80's until now, flying one or two Harris' the last 20 or so years. Even with one bird, he takes more than 200 rabbits a year. Could probably take 500 or more a year outside of molt season, given that many days he gets a double just while flying the bird back to the truck after the first kill. Now with the beagles, they are a formidable team.

Holly cow, he had a White Gyr. Talk about an incredible bird. Not sure the Neighbor kid would not have mysteriously vanished after that. Thanks again for sharing.
'15 Elite E35. 30.5", 67#
100Gr. G5 montecs
Sportsman's Vital Impact 300spine

http://www.pelletpeddler.com
lamrith

First Name: Larry