Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

What have you done nobody else has done?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Postby Tigger » 04 28, 2017 •  [Post 1]

I saw this on another forum and some of the answers were really cool, so I thought I would start it here. What have you done in your life that nobody else has done (or only an extremely few people have done)? However, try as I might, I cannot think of anything that is too noteworthy for myself....unless you count my wife and I on the 50 yard line one time in the 90s.....?

So tell us something that is unique to you!
Tigger

Re: What have you done nobody else has done?

Postby OregonTK » 04 28, 2017 •  [Post 2]

Not really unique to me, but not too many guys have cut an 8 foot douglas fir tree. Even fewer these days.

If you rattle, they will come!
Stickbows...putting the arch back in archery
OregonTK

Postby Tigger » 04 28, 2017 •  [Post 3]

Yes, that is really cool!

Question: which one of our esteemed colleagues is going to try and snowball us with some grand feat that they never really have done. My money is on Swede!
Tigger

Postby Swede » 04 28, 2017 •  [Post 4]

I do not know of any stories I have said that were deceptive or not factual. I try to be very careful about that. The story I tell about peeing on a bear from my tree stand seems a little over the top, but it is 100% true. I don't think the other hunter in his stand about 80 yards away saw the urine, and I was partly behind the bole of the tree, but he saw the bear under my stand and watched it run out of there in a hurry. He wanted the bear to shoot and wondered why I let it go. I had a bear tag with me from the sports pack I had purchased from the State Department of F&W. I just did not want the bear.
Dad too was a professional timber cutter. I never dropped an 8 foot tree, but was with dad in 1962 when he felled Douglas-firs about 10 feet in diameter out of Sitkum Oregon. I remember how huge those stumps were. We could have had a picnic on them. I believe dad said they had to get a special permit to haul the logs. I saw numerous one log loads and one was set on a truck that had been specially made for the New Your Worlds fait, but never was delivered there. Dad also cut in the redwoods out of Arcata California for a few months back in the 50s. I was not with him when he was working, but saw some of the logs on the highway. There were some giants there too. Some of those logs had to be split to be loaded out and transported.

P.S. 4/29 I believe I need to add this post script for clarification.
Tigger was not being negative in any way. He was doing what I often do by adding some humor and poking fun with his post. I just felt it was a good idea to help people on the forum understand that when we give tips and information, they are true and accurate to the best of our knowledge. Jokes and ribbing are welcome. We all have had different experiences and see things based on where, when and how we have hunted. I have no problem with debating anyone including the most revered hunters among us. I have no problem supporting the newest person to post if I believe they make a valid point. No one here has a franchise on elk hunting skill. Hopefully people feel free to share their ideas and experiences even if they are a little crazy.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Gypsumreaper » 04 28, 2017 •  [Post 5]

Can't say I've really done anything that no one has done before me. I have done things that few have done.
I have changed tires on a 992k loader which are roughly 9 feet tall.
I have shot prairie dogs with a 22 LR at 228 yards.
And my favorite has been being a camera man on an elk hunt where we got over 30 minutes of a bull and his cow wallowing, before harvesting the bull.
Gypsumreaper

First Name: Josh
Last Name: Wamboldt

Postby Swede » 04 28, 2017 •  [Post 6]

Gypsumreaper wrote:we got over 30 minutes of a bull and his cow wallowing, before harvesting the bull.

Gypsum: Did the cow wallow? That is not something I have seen.
Swede

Postby Gypsumreaper » 04 28, 2017 •  [Post 7]

Yes she was wallowing as well, I didn't get a ton of footage of her doing it as I was focused on the bull and had no idea that my hunter couldn't see either of them since he was in a dip and they were to. She would actually lay down in the wallow, and in the video you can watch the bull looking around and here her splashing. Every time I zoomed out she would stop and look around so if zoom back to the bull.
They finally busted us well the cow did when the wind switched on us and took off, but my hunter stood up and took a very long uncomfortable shot of 97yards. Luckily his arrow flew true and the bull was down within 25 seconds or so. You could hear the cow start barking for the bull very shortly after the shot.

I posted this on here a while back but here's the 30 minute video, there is extras from the whole day but a majority of it is the bull and cow, with cuts in between where they were just standing in the wallows.

Https://vimeo.com/182855017
Gypsumreaper

First Name: Josh
Last Name: Wamboldt

Postby RAMMONT » 04 28, 2017 •  [Post 8]

The last time I qualified on the rifle range while in the Marine Corps was 1999. I was firing the KD (known distance) course and it included firing ten rounds at 500 yards, slow fire prone, on a 20" x 40" silhouette target. I usually qualified expert (only shot less than expert 3 times in 20 years) and this was my last time on the range before I retired so I was pretty relaxed and I was just trying to enjoy my last time out.

I was known as the crusty old Staff Sergeant that worked in training and had a reputation for not being real concerned about the formalities of military protocol. By this time my knee was shot and my back always hurt so I tended to move kinda slow. Getting in to and out of firing positions (especially rapid fire strings) was a slow and painful process for me and I was driving my line coach (a young Corporal) crazy with how long I was taking to get in to position and firing my rounds. People would rush to get their 10 shots off in the 1 minute limit and I'd was so slow that I'd start my first shot when everybody else was finishing with their last shot, then I'd rattle mine off in about 10 or 15 seconds and have a tight group in the center.

By the time we got to the 500 yard line I was only a couple of points short of expert so all I had to do was hit the target and I'd make expert. The coach was anxious and really wanted me to get the string of fire done and make expert so when the command came down to fire I took my time at getting a solid position. The coach finally said that I wouldn't get my rounds off if I didn't hurry. I told him to not worry and I bet him that I could place my rounds so that when they put the spotter disks in my impacts they would make a smiley face. Needless to say that got a laugh and all the line coaches thought I was just being a smart a$$. I got all my shots off and sure enough, when the targets came up for scoring, I had a perfect smiley face on my target, one spotter each for the eyes and the nose and 7 more for the smile. The corners of the smile were just outside the width of the silhouette but I still made expert.
RAMMONT

Postby Swede » 04 28, 2017 •  [Post 9]

I have watched many cows and calves play in the water. I have never seen one wallow. I have yet to see any cows roll around caking themselves with mud as a bull does. Cows and calves will often run into a water hole, stirring up the water and making it pretty muddy. I have never watched a bull run into a water hole and play around the way a cow or calf will.
Swede

Postby ishy » 04 30, 2017 •  [Post 10]

Taking a bull solo 17 days after finishing my first Ironman. I can't say I'm the only one, but that has to be a pretty short list.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby Lefty » 04 30, 2017 •  [Post 11]

Married Anna Marie Nichols 8-)

Running a trap line, all sorts of weird things happened.
One trap location 6 raccoon, 4 foot holds, Two traps had two raccoon each
Purposely ( ground swat 4 geese dead at 13-17 yards with one shot
Wadded three geese,.. I have a very fast swing, The shots were 13, 14 and the goose this year was at 17 yards. Had witnesses for two of the geese, the goose is knocked unconscious
the only opossum I ever caught in Minnesota, two were caught in the same trap.way to young and little to be out , both were dead the trap never moved.
Hand caught a bunch of beaver sneak up where they think they are hiding.
Hand caught a red fox.
Shot 75 jackrabbits standing in one location
Shot a red fox in a flooded field 570 yards with a .22,.. way more to that story

Neatest elk story bull elk blowing snot on my face

Lots of other shooting and trapping stories
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Roosiebull » 05 01, 2017 •  [Post 12]

I am responsible for range expansions on 3 different ocean species.

When I'm working, I'm always looking for critters that aren't suppose to be here.
Roosiebull

Postby Swede » 05 01, 2017 •  [Post 13]

Roosiebull wrote:I am responsible for range expansions on 3 different ocean species.

That must be the easiest job on the planet. I don't know if you have heard yet or not, but the oceans are on the rise, so range expansion will be automatic. Of coarse with the warming of the water it may not be the ideal type of range for some sea critters. Just select three other creatures that will benefit, call it good, then go back to elk hunting. Maybe you should work on something more useful, like stopping these El Ninos and La Ninas. I have not seen two consecutive days of sunshine since last October. :D
Swede

Postby Roosiebull » 05 01, 2017 •  [Post 14]

I wish it was as easy as that, haha.

It would be pretty fun to be a research diver, and we are contracted out for those jobs sometimes...it really is like I'm not working.
Roosiebull

Postby Da White Shoe » 05 07, 2017 •  [Post 15]

I'm not sure how rare this would be, but I've made a center punched heart-shot on at least one of each of the following game animals... moose, bison, elk, whitetail, mule deer, pronghorn and a black bear. Some of these heart-shots were with a bow and some with a rifle. With whitetail, muley and antelope... I have multiple heart-shot kills. I never thought of it until I saw this thread.
Something that may be even more rare... I played guitar in an "on the road, bar band" for 10 solid years, along with my brother. The freedom of it made for some 30 day long, packed in elk hunts out of a wall tent.
Da White Shoe

First Name: zane

Postby poisonarrow » 06 25, 2017 •  [Post 16]

I dont know if this qualifies . We were struck by lightning three times in one night.

We were in Wisconsin visiting my niece. A thunder storm rolled through. A lightning bolt struck the tree outside and a part of the bolt jumped to the house, frying all the electronics. We, my wife and four daughters, started driving and drove back into the storm. Suddenly a bolt hit the car. It was an explosion of red, right in the windshield. WOW!

We drove about five more minutes and again, POW!!! Right in the windshield, this time it was green.

I love lightning and often I would go out on the porch to watch the lightning show. I would tell my daughters, "Sometime I want to see lightning close!"

After the third bolt my daughter told me, " Dad don't you ever say that again." I have never said that again!
poisonarrow

First Name: James
Last Name: Jantzen

Postby Tigger » 06 26, 2017 •  [Post 17]

Great one poisonarrow! man, some neat things came to light on this thread.

Lefty, I would like to hear more about the red fox story!
Tigger

Postby Lefty » 06 26, 2017 •  [Post 18]

Tigger wrote:Lefty, I would like to hear more about the red fox story!

As a kid I use to do lots of long range shooting with a .22. A neighbor who in his late 70’s just a few years ago set a 600 yard .30 cal record taught me to long range shooting in 70 and 71. When I was 13 I had a gunsmith tap my Ruger 10-22 for a 1” scope ( those of you older fellows know .22’s could have a ¾” tube mounted but nobody was putting a big game scope on .22). I had a Redfield Wide-field mounted. I was a weird kid, everytime I got enough money I would buy box of .22 shells then spend all day taking long shots generally 200 -700 yard shots.
Gene also go me involved in archery, purchasing my first bow from Herters. I paid $35.00 for a bow that was $105. Im not sure if he paid some up front or talked the guy down. I also bought a .222 that he had glass bedded and supplied me with free reloads.
My favorite shooting location was 150 foot above the Minnesota River just out of town a few miles. From that location I would look through my scope, guess windage and bullet drop either shooting at the bank or a tree or log in the river. At that time CCI Stingers came out when I was 17. The original Stingers were faster than current Stingers. About every 10-15% of the bullets shot crazy-wild 10-16 inches out at 50 yards. I was fairly consistent killing a limit of squirrels with 40-100 yard head shots 7 squirrels, 7 shots . In my 20s I loved showing off with hunting partners killing fox and coyotes out to 210 yards with a that.22 and CCI Stingers.
I was trapping red fox in NW Minnesota near the Red river. I was running a fox trap line, heavy rain had saturated the ground, with standing water in most ag fields. The day was one of those rare mornings, no wind, bright and clear. I was watching a fox mousing in a flooded field. He was checking out every clump of stuff in the flooded field, the last high spots for mice, he was having easy hunting.
I watched the fox with binos for some time. The fox seemed total unaware of me parked on the section line road. I put my 10/22 across my hood, supported it with a sweat shirt. The first shot the bullet hit the water hundreds of feet short of the fox. The fox barely looked up from the rifle report. I fired 6 more times lining my vertical crosshair with the fox, and trying to select something in the water beyond the fox for the horizontal crosshair. Each shot appeared to be in line with the fox. The 7th shot I heard the whap!

I found the stirred up muddy water, foot prints and just a pinch of hair, but no fox. I stepped 140 steps past the1/4 field change up. Fox were $80.00 that year so I spent some time looking.
The next day 1 ½ miles away I caught the fox. While skinning the fox the bullet had barely pierced the skin and laid between the hide and the at the base of the shoulder and neck muscle at the highest spot on the back. There was almost no redness in the hide from the bullet entry, and the wound had not bled. I made one stitch to pull the hole shut and there was no visible lack of fur when I sold the fox.
Lefty

Postby Lefty » 06 26, 2017 •  [Post 19]

ishy wrote:Taking a bull solo 17 days after finishing my first Ironman. I can't say I'm the only one, but that has to be a pretty short list.

I use to compete in competitive backpacking, Bear packs ( carry the most weight through a course, Mine was 410 lb)and Voyager pack, 210 lb through a course up and down hill (only 20 foot elevation) and sand. .43 of a mile in 3:15.
Mile swim in scouting at 13 and whitecaps on the lake.
Also pegged the power squat machine at the Minnesota vikings training camp.
Maybe one of the hardest workouts was a S to North crossing of Washington Lake( Dassel Mn) in 55-60 mph winds in a canoe. With the wind, we rode the waves. We had back up boat on shore, spotters if we dumped or lost the canoe, extra life jackets, paddles. We beat the pickup vehicle to the other side
Lefty

Postby Tigger » 06 27, 2017 •  [Post 20]

did you do that mile swim with the 410 pound pack??

You must be one strong dude Lefty!
Tigger

Postby Roosiebull » 06 27, 2017 •  [Post 21]

Lefty wrote:
ishy wrote:Taking a bull solo 17 days after finishing my first Ironman. I can't say I'm the only one, but that has to be a pretty short list.

I use to compete in competitive backpacking, Bear packs ( carry the most weight through a course, Mine was 410 lb)and Voyager pack, 210 lb through a course up and down hill (only 20 foot elevation) and sand. .43 of a mile in 3:15.
Mile swim in scouting at 13 and whitecaps on the lake.
Also pegged the power squat machine at the Minnesota vikings training camp.
Maybe one of the hardest workouts was a S to North crossing of Washington Lake( Dassel Mn) in 55-60 mph winds in a canoe. With the wind, we rode the waves. We had back up boat on shore, spotters if we dumped or lost the canoe, extra life jackets, paddles. We beat the pickup vehicle to the other side

yikes! that is some hardcore stuff! 410lbs in a pack is insane, a couple years ago I packed 2 hind quarters of a Roosevelt bull on a pack frame, it was flat walking, and only about a half mile, but it about killed me.....people hype up the size of roosevelts, but in reality, I don't think a hind quarter from most bulls would break 100lbs on a scale, I would guess it was 170-180lb pack, it was all I could do to put one foot in front of the other. I of course needed help getting stood up with that pack.
Roosiebull

Postby Roosiebull » 06 27, 2017 •  [Post 22]

I wasn't the only one, but I bet the 3 of us on the crew were....

2003-4 I was working in SE Alaska, diving for sea urchins, and sea cucumbers. we were the only crew up there that dove wet suits....nothing like jumping into 38 degree water in the morning on a cold Alaska day in January. we averaged about 28 days per month diving for the 13 months we were up there, there was a lot of miserable cold days. it seemed like there was no warming up, constantly chilled.

I don't miss that, walking out on deck naked, trying to wrestle on a frozen wet suit, just to jump into the freezing cold water....day after day. sure was a fun time in my life though, that whole situation was an awesome adventure, and summer diving was not cold at all, water got up around 50 degrees, and we were diving shallow, some times actually getting too warm working hard. Nov-March sure sucked though temperature wise.
Roosiebull

Postby Da White Shoe » 06 27, 2017 •  [Post 23]

Roosiebull wrote:I wasn't the only one, but I bet the 3 of us on the crew were....

2003-4 I was working in SE Alaska, diving for sea urchins, and sea cucumbers. we were the only crew up there that dove wet suits....nothing like jumping into 38 degree water in the morning on a cold Alaska day in January. we averaged about 28 days per month diving for the 13 months we were up there, there was a lot of miserable cold days. it seemed like there was no warming up, constantly chilled.

I don't miss that, walking out on deck naked, trying to wrestle on a frozen wet suit, just to jump into the freezing cold water....day after day. sure was a fun time in my life though, that whole situation was an awesome adventure, and summer diving was not cold at all, water got up around 50 degrees, and we were diving shallow, some times actually getting too warm working hard. Nov-March sure sucked though temperature wise.

I can't even imagine that! Insane!
Da White Shoe

First Name: zane

Postby Elkhntr08 » 06 28, 2017 •  [Post 24]

Back on August 24th on '97, I took my left hand off with a compound miter box and they put it back on. Works fine. Took about 7 months for my to get back to shooting my bow. Have pictures for proof, but they are graphic.
Elkhntr08

Postby Lefty » 06 29, 2017 •  [Post 25]

Tigger wrote:did you do that mile swim with the 410 pound pack?? You must be one strong dude Lefty!

Just whitecaps on the lake when I did the swim,.. the next summer being a Minnesota boy not knowing anything, a rip-tide on Galvaston Beach took me out,.. One fellow basically saved me, nobody else saw it happen, " I was fighting and loosing the rip.
Big ugly legs when I was working construction,I couldnt find pants to fit. My mom took in the waist on nice pants for me, otherwaise I was wearing 4 inch bigger waist than I needed. Too many heavy scaffolding and ladders, I loved hauling shingle up ladders ( I can't imagine that now, bags of Sackrete kicks my but now :lol:)
And literally running a trapline. Packing canoes, boats and fur up riverbanks. Those days are long gone.
I had a Mirro-craft boat; weight was 270, ( without mud and water) I could roll it over like a canoe and load it on my shoulders and haul it up a riverbank to my pickup down the road. I bought the same boat style boat 20 years back, while up on saw horses I crawled underneath,.. I definitely didn't have it anymore :shock:
My brother says we are both " has-beens".

At one time I was stacking 5 minute miles, I cant even jog now, my left leg doesnt know what to do!
Lefty

Postby Lefty » 06 29, 2017 •  [Post 26]

Elkhntr08 wrote:Back on August 24th on '97, I took my left hand off with a compound miter box and they put it back on. Works fine. Took about 7 months for my to get back to shooting my bow. Have pictures for proof, but they are graphic.

How did that happen? 14" saw?, guard pinned back?
While in college I watched a fellow run his fingers hand and wrist through a dado-blade, even after bunch of surgeries( early 80's) he had very limited use.

It is amazing what can be done now. I have a friend , hands, fingers, and nerves are his specialties. We were loading a full horse trailer on my pickup, another fellow reached under to release the stuck spring and safety lock. ***** just stated something to the effect. If that trailer drops that is a years worth of house payments for me.

Good thing this thread wasnt [color=#FF40FF]"Stupid things Ive done, and lived to tell about it?[/color] maybe another time
Lefty