Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

W h e're the deer and the antelope play,,,,,,,

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

W h e're the deer and the antelope play,,,,,,,

Postby Lefty » 05 21, 2017 •  [Post 1]

And me and my dog and the elk too.
Saw 3 bulls and 4 cow together,.. seemed weird no calves The bulls were 16 inches out each side,.. carbon copies of each other :D

Like many parts of SE Idaho we recieved a lot of snow this area broke 200% of average with the last snow. I headed up to place bear bait, this was as far as I could make it on the ATV; only 1 mile and 800 foot elevation to the bear bait site. :lol: :lol: :roll: I dumped 12 lbs of bait knowing that I wasn't going to pack as much bait in as planned.
However walking up and down moguls and tree wells may have quadrupled the elevation and tripled the distance.
Walking up two thousand times to the top of a 3,4, 5, 8, foot moguls then down, then back up ,, then down,.. was mentally challenging at first.Once I reached solid hard pack snow the going was easier.
Im have a few sore muscles,.. And the ole' dog, she ran around like a pup,.. but had to be lifted out of the truck last night. Tie for her aspirin.
20170520_092342.jpg

I placed the bait on the backing,.. which is 2 feet high,2 foot of snow below the bait
the drift to the left .. well over 7 foot of snow. other years we are baiting this southern face with the atv as early as the last days in April
20170520_121129.jpg

First one to make it with a full sized vehicle to "our' hunt camp location 1200 meters and 3 miles as the crow flies to the bait location
20170520_071713.jpg
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: W h e're the deer and the antelope play,,,,,,,

Postby Fridaythe13th » 05 21, 2017 •  [Post 2]

Hay, lefty when you say 200% more snow how much is that about? Or what is average?
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby Lefty » 05 21, 2017 •  [Post 3]

Average that I could find nearby and lower elevation is 220 inches of snow per year another nearby 3000 feet lower is 45 inches :?: :?: :?: :?:
I would say where I parked my ATV most years that FS road will have 4-7 feet of snow that is settled Thats as far and guys go on snow machines. They stay out of the trees and the north slope of the pass isnt,.. ride-able
Low elevation receives 21 inches of moisture a year higher elevations catch more moisture
What I do know is the county road with a working ranch the cows moved out, and the road is closed in November .

North 80 miles when the ranchers move cows in July 1 they plow the roads open to bring in cows. Snow machines are the only traffic allowed on many FS and BLM until July first.
I suspect without rain the north facing slope on the pass wont get plowed until then end of June, The FS doesn't plow but the rancher does.

One year some of the Idaho Wyoming Utah Boy scout camps didnt open until the 2nd week of July,
July that high elevation snow goes fast.

A neighbor expects to go riding the next two weekends on the Wy/Id border

A whole different world in the mountains
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 05 23, 2017 •  [Post 4]

The calves and fawns should start appearing any time now. It is great to get out and look around. Hunting season will be here soon. Thanks for the pictures.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics