Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Dang Im good!!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Dang Im good!!

Postby Lefty » 05 27, 2017 •  [Post 1]

Give us a weird wacky or normal story . The week you bowled 4, 300 games, Ran the table ten times in a night,..made it home from a hunt, found two winning lottery tickets,. Dropped a buck just off the end of your tailgate.
Or made that shot,.. that seemed as much luck , or more than skill

Or just strangely, Well different ,

My brother and I were trapping on a ranch in eastern Wyoming. Shooting light was almost gone and a sage grouse stepped on the rtwo track. I fired, saw the muzzle flash, birds still there, I fire again , birds still there, and again and a forth time. The fifth shot the the sage grouse flies up in the air and drops dead. My brother runs to pick up the bird and is laughing. Four dead grouse in pile and the fifth in his hand
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Dang Im good!!

Postby Swede » 05 27, 2017 •  [Post 2]

In 1965 I was hunting with my dad and brother. We were walking along together, so I decided to let them go on ahead and I walked out on a rocky point. I thought "there is nothing to be gained be walking together. I will follow behind a ways." Out on the rocky point I could see well all around. As I stood there this great buck came trotting out from behind where we had just traveled. The buck was about 200 yards away. I raised my 6.5 Swedish Mauser and with peep sights and took aim. The first shot was low, but the bullet shattered his near side front leg at the knee. The buck had a trail down through the rocks on an escape route, but could not go there with a broken leg, so he turned back. I held higher on the second shot and put him down.
I quickly walked over to the buck, keeping my gun ready just in case. It was not necessary. I stood there in amazement for a few minutes. Suddenly I heard my brother. He had come back to see what had happened with me. Immediately he saw the buck lying there right in front of me. He hollered out "how big is it?" I yelled back, "he is a ten point." Through the air I hear: "What? What did you say?" "It is a nine by 10" I replied. That is western count. I do not think my brother ever covered 200 yards so quickly. In a few minutes dad arrived too. There in front of him lay a truly marvelous buck. Dad commented that "they barely heard the shots and thought it was too far away to be me. They started back to see why I was not keeping up."
When we got back to camp mom and my sister were there waiting. Mom asked who "shot the buck." Dad replied that I had. I still remember clearly mom saying "I knew it. That gun is just lucky. John always gets the big bucks." The year before I had killed the largest buck I ever shot as far as weight is concerned. It field dressed 240 pounds. The 9X10 went 209 pounds on the butcher's scale.

Note: Several years earlier dad killed a Blacktail buck out of Vadar Washington. That buck went 265 pounds field dressed on the barn scales. It was weighed with the legs cut off at the knees, and with the head off. That buck was mostly a spike with some one inch to two inch long stickers. It was old, so granddad ground it into hamburger and mixed it with some pork he raised.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 05 29, 2017 •  [Post 3]

The shot I made on my buck this past fall still gives me the warm fuzzies inside.

I was side-hilling a very steep mountain as it got towards dark and happened to catch a glimpse of an antler on the sky line above me. I moved a bit up the hillside and could see several deer a looong ways up the hill. Glassing revealed a very nice mulie buck in the group, but there was no cover to sneak much closer. The deer were around 430 yards and due to the slope of the hill, every time I tried to sit down or lie down to get a rest, I wasn't able to see the buck. Finally I got fed up with trying to get a rest on a tree or rock and decided to take the shot standing, off my trekking pole. It took a few seconds to find the buck in the crosshairs, and steady up, then I squeezed off a round and watched the dust explode from a rock behind him on the pass through. He got real sick, and just bedded down to die right there. I know there are lots of guys shooting further than me these days, but most of them aren't using their great grandpa's old 30-06 from the 1930's!

Here's me with my grandpa and the buck.
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C

Postby Wahpeton » 05 29, 2017 •  [Post 4]

Awesome story!

Good for you to share that with your grandpa.

That will be a highlight for both of you forever.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
Abraham Lincoln
Wahpeton

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 29, 2017 •  [Post 5]

Trophy Malachi! Truly trophy............. thanks.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 06 01, 2017 •  [Post 6]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:Trophy Malachi! Truly trophy............. thanks.

Thanks RJ! But you gotta tell us your Hot Stuff story now! Even Swede has done the amazing you know.
Trumkin the Dwarf

Postby Swede » 06 02, 2017 •  [Post 7]

65 Buck 001.JPG
65 Buck 001.JPG (159.66 KiB) Viewed 2856 times

Back in the day I had no camera, but I still have the antlers. Here is a picture of the antlers of my 9X10 buck.
I can't see all of the points on the pic. either.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 06 03, 2017 •  [Post 8]

Swede wrote:
65 Buck 001.JPG

Back in the day I had no camera, but I still have the antlers. Here is a picture of the antlers of my 9X10 buck.

Dang! That right there is a crazy looking buck!
Trumkin the Dwarf

Postby Lefty » 06 03, 2017 •  [Post 9]

Swede wrote:Back in the day I had no camera, but I still have the antlers. Here is a picture of the antlers of my 9X10 buck.

My 9x 11 lived to die of old age in the forest :cry:
So did the 36" 2x2 , and so did,....
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H